10k Gold "I" Wings

I haven't been able to track down an ID on this set. What does the "I" stand for? At 5/8" & made out of 10k gold, it's most likely a 'sweetheart' piece. What about for the shirt collar or even a cap? Was it common for servicemen to wear gold insignia?

Value? I might have the chance to pick them up...

-Chuck

post-518-1238868866.jpg

post-518-1238868871.jpg

WANTED!

WWI Aero Squadron items such as insignia, uniforms & my favorite- PHOTOS! Will purchase or work out a possible trade

HIGHLY SOUGHT- Anything related to the AEF Photo Sections or 85th,258th & 278th Aero Squadrons.

To be alone, to have your life in your own hands, to use your own skill, single-handed, against the enemy. It was like the lists of the Middle Ages, the only sphere in modern warfare where a man saw his adversary and faced him in mortal combat, the only sphere where there was still chivalry and honour. If you won, it was your own bravery and skill; if you lost, it was because you had met a better man
-Cecil Lewis

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

I would agree - sweetheart. Could the I stand for instructor? s/f Darrell

That was my guess too on the possible "Instructor" ID..

WANTED!

WWI Aero Squadron items such as insignia, uniforms & my favorite- PHOTOS! Will purchase or work out a possible trade

HIGHLY SOUGHT- Anything related to the AEF Photo Sections or 85th,258th & 278th Aero Squadrons.

To be alone, to have your life in your own hands, to use your own skill, single-handed, against the enemy. It was like the lists of the Middle Ages, the only sphere in modern warfare where a man saw his adversary and faced him in mortal combat, the only sphere where there was still chivalry and honour. If you won, it was your own bravery and skill; if you lost, it was because you had met a better man
-Cecil Lewis

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gif