Unknown Navy Dagger/Dirk

NoahBenzing

NoahBenzing

Hello. My name is Noah and I work at an army surplus store. We have in our display case this strange Navy dagger. It has an anchor on the blade. Has anyone ever seen a dagger like this before? think.gif Any help identifying it and pricing it would be greatly appreciated. There were other items "close" to this item that were perhaps related so this is where I start I suppose... ;)

post-6054-1238821037.jpg

BOB K. RKSS

This Forum is for U.S. MILITARIA > ONLY. Anyway, it's a German made Post-War Fantasy (not military); was made in the city of Solegen (where most blade makers were located). Proably worth $20.00 .

NoahBenzing

Discovered that Soligen made Navy daggers *as well as civil war swords*

You stand corrected.

Solingen is a city in Germany, not a specific maker. There have been dozens if not hundreds of different companies located in Solingen, many of which have used the Solingen name because of its reputation for high quality products.

All types of edged tools and weapons have been made there for over 500 years, ranging from the finest quality down to low end fantasy and "souvenir" items. As Bob stated, this particular item probably dates from the 1950s and was an inexpensive commercial item.

As this item is not US military, I will remove this thread.

shrapneldude

I'm by NO means an expert...but this has happened a few times here before where someone will come up with a unique looking dagger or knife and it's "NOT US MILITARY" and all this.

People are very quick to draw some mighty big assumptions when it comes to SPECIAL FORCES gear that looks more like biking equipment and paintball rigs, but on the blades it's automatically dismissed, as was the Skull knuckle knife.

Just an observation. Lotta guys carried a lotta different blades with them, and still do.

NoahBenzing

Yes....

I apologize for being "quick to fire" on this blade. I am not certain of it's origin and had just thought perhaps someone could ID it here. Did some research on my own and discovered that some of the swords and daggers from the Civil War period came from Solingen, Germany. That validifies a Solingen blade as a possible U.S. military item if it's from the Civil War period. That is all.. I'm done... thank you all for your time... I still have many many things to research :)) I came across a better picture of the medal case though. I'll eventually get around to taking them out and playing with them on a lunch break soon. Thank you for your time everyone.