Life Belt - M-1926

LoadedColt45

LoadedColt45

Can anyone tell if there were more than one type of life belt used/issued to US troops during WWII or was there only the M1926 life belt...?

I was told by a local dealer that he has a new/mint condition life belt for sale but wasn't sure if it was the M1926 or the "other one"...

I'll check it out tomorrow...just want to get a little more info before hand if I could...

LoadedColt45

Well, I went back to take a look at what he had.

He had the dual tube belt, and the single tube belt. Both were new in box.

The single tube belt may be a little more rare but I decided to buy the dual tube belt since it seems to be the most popular.

It's dated July 10, 1943 and marked with in "NX" number which he tells me was used on these earlier on when they were still in the experimental stage. I don't know about that but I did get a real decent life belt, assult gas mask carrier, a few patches and some medals out of the trip.

I can post pics of the belt if anyone is interested...

craig_pickrall

The NX is a standard USN prefix for their model numbers. They have a series of these that desiginate what branch is ordering the part. That belt should have USN on the buckle.

LoadedColt45
The NX is a standard USN prefix for their model numbers. They have a series of these that desiginate what branch is ordering the part. That belt should have USN on the buckle.

Thanks for in the info.

Yes, the buckle is marked "USN"

LoadedColt45

The buckle is a little different than others I have seen as it does not have the cartridge position indicators on either side of the "USN" mark...it's blank...maybe that was added later?

Here's a couple photos...

101_2627.jpg

101_2626.jpg

I paid just under $100.00 for the belt and black gas mask invasion bag which was new condtion as well.