Presidential Service Badge & Patch

HMX-1

post-387-1175482087.jpg

This General Colin powell uniform is out of my collection. You can clearly see the Presidential ID badge. This is ID to Colin Powell. The uniform is completely original and in my possession. I hope this help.

4starchris

I am wondering if anyone knows what the top pin over General Powell's right pocket is? It looks very much like the DI for the 48th Inf, which was General Powell's very first assignment as a Lt. If that is in fact the 48th Inf DI, why would he be wearing it on this uniform? Just curious as I was in the 48th Inf a few years after Gen Powell was and I happened to spot the pin in the photo.

-Fritz

I collect PSB's as well. I own two, one of them boxed in the smaller white box. The other one came without the box. I also have an N.S. Meyer carded PSB lapel pin.

I've been looking for a Vice Presidential Service Badge as well.

And as far as General Powell's uniform, it may very well be a DUI. If you look at General Petraeus's uniform, he is wearing the 101st Airborne DUI above his French Parachutist badge. It is possible generals wear a DUI here, since a DUI wouldn't fit with the four-star rank insignia.

Those DUI's are Regimental Distinctive Insignia (RDI) and all soldiers are supposed to have one after initial and advanced training. These were instituted in the early 1980's as part of the so-called Regimental System. As it finally evolved, Combat Arms soldiers would affiliate with a regiment of their combat arm and others would wear newly designed "regimental" inisignia for their combat support or combat service support branch, i.e. Signal Corps, Transportation Corps, Medical Corps and etc. The DUI of the soldier's current unit of assignment would continue to be worn in the normal locations. Technically, GEN Petraeus is in error in wearing the NCBU DUI of the 101st ABN DIV as an RDI, but general officers prescribe their own uniform.

Thanks all for the RDI clarification. Does anyone know what the RDI is on Gen. Powell's uniform?

-Fritz

Your earlier guess is correct - 48th Infantry Regiment.

Kurt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
Here is a picture of mine the one on the left is the White House Service Badge, it was replaced with the Presidential Service Badge and Vice-Presidential Service Badge. The White House Badge was not a permanent badge, it was only worn while serving in the White House. This one is not numbered on the back and I am not sure if it should be. The one on the right is the Presidential Service Badge and the small one in the middle is the lapel pin for civilian clothing. During a lull at a show a while back I was talking to another dealer, whose name escapes me now, he specializes in high end current stuff and was at one time himself on the Presidential Staff. He said the badges were numbered and were also engraved unfortunate I don't remember all the details but I think it would have his SS number and the dates of service and possibly his name. I may have this wrong as it have been awhile and to tell the truth I wasn't all that interested. Anyway this one is numbered but no engraving.

post-55-1175557773.jpg

Here is a picture of mine the one on the left is the White House Service Badge, it was replaced with the Presidential Service Badge and Vice-Presidential Service Badge. The White House Badge was not a permanent badge, it was only worn while serving in the White House. This one is not numbered on the back and I am not sure if it should be. The one on the right is the Presidential Service Badge and the small one in the middle is the lapel pin for civilian clothing. During a lull at a show a while back I was talking to another dealer, whose name escapes me now, he specializes in high end current stuff and was at one time himself on the Presidential Staff. He said the badges were numbered and were also engraved unfortunate I don't remember all the details but I think it would have his SS number and the dates of service and possibly his name. I may have this wrong as it have been awhile and to tell the truth I wasn't all that interested. Anyway this one is numbered but no engraving.

post-55-1175557773.jpg

I am number 431. The original Eisenhower Presidential white Service Badges were not numbered. President Johnson through legislation established the Pesidential Service Award and all of the badges were numbered and issue by Balfour Co.

I lost my white lapel pin and have been looking to buy one for some time. If you hve any information I would appreciate an e-mail. Bob Bleakley (1962-1972- WHCA @ Transportation Communication Office).

[email protected]

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello

I've had three PSB and a few month ago I received the PSB with number 5872 marked "H.L.P. G.I.". A fantastic item, better than the others. :-)

Today I received the PSB with number 2653 and hallmarked with the rhombus from Williams & Anderson.

This item is again slightly better then the HLP.

I also received the associated certificate with matching number 2653 "... to CW2 James R. Daron, Sr., USA ... by direction of President Richard Nixon this sixteenth day of May 1970" and a signed letter from James D. Hughes Brigadier General, United States Air Force, Military Assistend to the President.

Could be there a better one ?

A one digit would be impossible. A USMF member has a two digit numbered item.

I have a certificate with number 136.

If someone have this or know where to get, please let me know.

Pictures follows.

HAVE A NICE DAY

Michael

The first PSB made by Williams & Anderson are slightly curved.

Left PSB 2653 made by Williams & Anderson

Right PSB 5872 made by H.L.P.

post-8324-0-28509500-1419169585.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hello

My article about the PSB in now hosted at dropbox.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/76895215/PSB%20by%20Michael%20Rolf.pdf

Following is the centrel link where you can reach all article, regulations, ebooks

So you only have to save one link for all.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gxvugxdzrzj9afm/Michael%20Rolf%20at%20Dropbox.pdf?dl=0

It will need some time to upload all at dropbox but will be made in a few weeks.

If something does not work, please let me know via email.

HAVE A NICE DAY

Michael

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know a way to get in contact with or how to obtain a second PSB( Presidential Support Badge)?

I was awarded one in 2010 and since have moved several times. It appears I have misplaced it upon such activies.

I still have my award, serial number etc etc

Just looking for a way to get another?

Thanks In Advance,

Sgt Knight

Does anyone know a way to get in contact with or how to obtain a second PSB( Presidential Support Badge)?

I was awarded one in 2010 and since have moved several times. It appears I have misplaced it upon such activies.

I still have my award, serial number etc etc

Just looking for a way to get another?

Thanks In Advance,

Sgt Knight

Contact the WHMO. That's how a friend of mine did it to get a replacement. Just be aware it probably won't have your original number (his didn't).

Good luck!

Dave

You should call the Presidential Support Unit you were assigned to first. For example if you were stationed at the White House Communications Agency (WHCA) call their Personnel Officer. Every Presidential support activity is required to maintain logs of their PSB recipients.

I was at HMX-1 from 2004-2009 and can tell you what should happen... After you call, and they verify your eligibility, you will get a letter in the mail which is an authorization from the White House Military Office (WHMO) allowing the manufacturer to sell you a replacement. You will mail them a check (when I ordered mine it cost around $18.50) but as Dave points out... it won't be your original number... it will be the next one off the stack. Additionally, the log at WHMO will be corrected to reflect your new badge number and your original will be stricken off the record as lost/damaged.

Good luck.