Presidential Service Badge & Patch

HMX-1

Manchu Warrior

As Laury has stated, I also believe your patch has something to do with Presidential or Vice-Presidential service. I got this patch when I was attached to the Air Force at Andrews Air Force Base. All the Air Force personnel that worked in the Air Force One complex wore this pocket patch. After the better part of a year and also the fact that I am a charming person I was able to talk someone into giving me one of the patches, I was not suppose to have one. The patch is 4" across and as I stated it is a pocket patch. I hope this helps?

post-1412-1210944529.jpg

Thanks guys. It's a pretty high quality patch, so it's gotta be official for something with the Vice as you mention.

-Ski

Looks like it could be something related to the Vice-Presidential Service office. Just a guess though???

My patch book indicates that this is the patch for Vice-Pesidential service. I hope this helps.

Andrew

Proud Kraut
As Laury has stated, I also believe your patch has something to do with Presidential or Vice-Presidential service. I got this patch when I was attached to the Air Force at Andrews Air Force Base. All the Air Force personnel that worked in the Air Force One complex wore this pocket patch. After the better part of a year and also the fact that I am a charming person I was able to talk someone into giving me one of the patches, I was not suppose to have one. The patch is 4" across and as I stated it is a pocket patch. I hope this helps?

PREZ_PAT_012.JPG

I have seen the same patch with black background on the internet for "White House Police" members.

Lars

Bob Hudson
Hello,

I can't figure out what this patch would be used for. think.gif Does anybody know? Thanks for your help!

-Ski

it does indeed appear to be the cloth version of the Vice Presidential Service Badge worn by members of the military assigned to various functions which support the office of the Vice President.

vcppatch.jpg

vcppatch3.jpg

The blue one is the patch version of the Presidential Service Badge:

hmxcu.jpg

I'll move this thread in to the exisiting one of these interesting badges and - now - patches.

As one of the other forum members described himself, I am also a Collector of Opportunity. I try to limit my collection to US items pre 1945. But once in a while I'll find something like this, that is not in my area of collecting, and I just can't turn it down.

I found this badge at a flea market about 10 years ago. My eyes bugged out when I saw it lying there amongst the junk jewelry and cheap watches. For 5 bucks there was no way I was going to leave it there. I knew is was a PSB, and I assume it is real but I never thought much about, I just displayed it in my cabinet. Any observations as to it's age and maker would be appreciated.

PSB1_copy.jpg

I noticed this post seemed to have gotten skipped.

I'm not sure on the age but I would guess by the number it would be the early to mid-1990s. I think the age dating on these right now is pretty much just based on knowing someone that received one and then looking at the number of the one they received to pinpoint date.

Bob Hudson
it does indeed appear to be the cloth version of the Vice Presidential Service Badge worn by members of the military assigned to various functions which support the office of the Vice President.

vcppatch.jpg

vcppatch3.jpg

The blue one is the patch version of the Presidential Service Badge:

hmxcu.jpg

I'll move this thread in to the exisiting one of these interesting badges and - now - patches.

One of our forum members sent me a pm which said:

The badge with the white background and silver eagle in the center is a White House Service Badge issued to active duty in the service of both the President and Vice President. The badge is relatively rare and was issued from 1960-1964 during the Eisenhower, Kennedy, and Johnson Administrations. President Johnson retired the White House Service Badge on September 1, 1964 and issued the present day Presidential Service Badge (blue background with the gold eagle). The cloth bullion patches associated with the White House Service Badge do not look like the patch in question and are pretty rare.

• 1 month later...
Presidentialserver

May I ask where did you find this badge? Can you also tell me how the seller advertised the badge and what history was provided to you by the seller.

Thanks. You can send the response to my e-mail [email protected]

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Presidentialserver
This weekend on ebay I ran into what appears to be an "almost" copy of the Presidential Service Badge. I even bid on it until I went back and looked at photos and realized this is not the real thing. As you can see in the photos above, the real thing has a gold eagle and the circle of stars. On this one there's an outside chance that the gold plating wore off, but there are no stars and there is no number on the back even though the real ones are all supposedly serial numbered. I put a real one next to this one to more easily show the differences:

post-214-1196612774.jpgpost-214-1196613046.jpg

post-214-1196612765.jpg

post-214-1196612788.jpg

This also does not fit the criteria for the Vice Presidential Service Badge and the White House Service Badge, which preceded the PSB.

My assumption is that this was a copy with changes made to the design so it would not be considered an out and out counterfeit.

:rolleyes: This badge is actually a fairly rare prototype badge. When the decision was made by Kennedy/ Johnson Administration to retire the White House Service Badge several different designs were considered to replace the White House Service Badge. This badge was never issued hence no Executive Order exists describing this badge. This badge is 2 1/4 inches, larger than the present day PSB which measures 1 15/16 inches. Another prototype badge evaluated actually added stars to this badge. The final version used the same blue background with stars and a gold eagle and smaller size, the present day PSB. Few of these prototype badges were manufactured. A fairly rare badge but none the less a collector item for anyone interested in Service Badges. Few people are familiar with the prototype badges evaluated in the process of retiring the WHSB and issuing the PSB. I am not certain, but I think these badges were manufactured by Balfour the company that manufactured the WHSBs.

• 2 weeks later...
Here´s some information about the White House Service badge and the Presidential Service badge.

Michael

I lost the White House Service lapen pin and would like to know where I can buy one? I read in one of the postings that you could buy/replace medals and other items, but, there was no address.

Bob Bleakley [email protected]

Presidentialserver
I lost the White House Service lapen pin and would like to know where I can buy one? I read in one of the postings that you could buy/replace medals and other items, but, there was no address.

Bob Bleakley [email protected]

I am not certain but it may be almost impossible to replace the White House Service lapel pin. The White House Service Badge was "retired" on September 1, 1964.

With proper documentation, the Presidential Service Badge can be replaced if lost.

Hopefully someone will be able to help.

• 2 weeks later...

miscel90.jpg

" IMPORTANT NATIONAL SECURITY BADGES OF THE NATIONAL SECURITY COUNCIL BOTH FOR THE VP AND THE PRESIDENT

Shown above are three different examples of Official Badges issued to Military Personnel attached to the National Security Council. After personnel, serving a minimum of one year on the White House Staff in a military capacity, they are permitted to wear an Official Badge on their uniform breast. On the far left is an example of the earliest form of National Security Council issue. This soldier served on the staff of Vice President Richard M. Nixon. The badge on the far right also signifies service on the Vice President's National Security Staff by evidence of its white background. It represents a more current usage in that it is emblazoned with the modern Vice Presidential Emblem. In the center, on a navy blue background, is another example of an Official Badge. This National Security Council Badge was worn by a military staff member of the National Security Council of the President of the United States. [...] On the verso of all Badges is a Serial Number which is an indication of exactly what member of the military it was assigned to."

found on ; http://www.americanheritage1.com/miscellaneous_items.htm

I see this thread has come back to the top. If any of the members still need the info on how to replace their PSB, or related badges I can give you the info for HMX-1 and the folks in the White House Military Office.

shoot me a PM, and I can respond with the contact data you need to get your badge replaced.

r/Gunny Dan

• 5 months later...

Hello

I was searching for long time for a Presidential Service Certificate.

Today I received two of them.

note: the certificate with number 136 was awarded on

"first day of September 1964",

this was the first day the PSB was awarded.

Michael

post-8324-1276543700.jpg

• 3 months later...
Hallo

There is the PSB #283 for sale at ebay.

Michael

Wow - that's NICE! The price is STEEP but that's the earliest PSB I've ever seen and boxed to boot...

Here are a couple pics from the auction, as the above linked ones will be gone when the auction is over...

PSB283.jpg

Presidentialserver

post-2425-1286044581.jpgpost-2425-1286044615.jpg

Hi,

I have one of the lowest numbers of a PSB that I have ever seen. PSB number 77.

I also have a PSB number 194, with the lapel pin, and accompanying Presidential Service Certificate.

I agree the PSB number 283 is overpriced. This badge has been listed and relisted a number of times. The original price was about $700.

:rolleyes:

I just purchased a Presidential Service Badge in the original box and thought I'd add it to the thread:

post-265-1286635377.jpg

The box is dated 12/96 and is marked with a handwritten number matching the number on the badge.