Presidential Service Badge & Patch

HMX-1

• 7 months later...

I have a Presidential Service Badge that I recently purchased from the estate of a person who served on Marine one helicopter for JFK and LBJ. This man was assigned to Marine one when JFK was assassinated.The badge was issued during the LBJ period. The number on the back is 1472. Any idea as to the value would be greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Randy-

Welcome to the forum!

Value will depend on if there's anything else with the badge, but as a good estimate, with no other documentation or awards, I'd price it in the $200 range.

Hope that helps!

Dave

Hi Randy-

Welcome to the forum!

Value will depend on if there's anything else with the badge, but as a good estimate, with no other documentation or awards, I'd price it in the $200 range.

Hope that helps!

Dave

Thanks for your help Dave. I'm a novice when it comes to identifying insignia and it's very encouraging to know that I can rely on people more knowledgeable than myself.

• 1 month later...

I made the seller of the above PSB a respectable "retail" offer on his badge and then had quite a bit of correspondence back and forth. He priced it as per the weight and it's value in gold...and I told him that's simply not the case. I also directed him to this thread and another that discussed PSBs as well as several eBay auctions too. He told me he'd consider my offer when the auction ran it's course (it was a 30 day auction) but it ended and he relisted it at the same price...so....

at Dave

I tried to contact the seller but he block all correspondence.

I would offer $ 90.00 for the badge and $ 150.00 with matching certificate.

To explain my offer I would add two pictures with results.

How many items we have seen with scratches result testing is it gold or not.

I think he could make it at a jeweler. Not good for the item but I think he has to go through that process if he don't trust.

I hope he see this topic and the realiced prices last time and don't scratch the item.

Michael

post-8324-0-59522800-1448214231.jpeg

post-8324-0-40544100-1448214249.jpeg

I offered him $200 for it, which I felt was "retail" because it was from the actual recipient and thus worth a bit more to me.

He probably thinks we're all trying to screw him. :D

• 10 months later...

Hello

I've seen this picture several times ( see #45-47 of this topic for details ) and only realiced Williams & Anderson Co. as manufacturer.

We all know the badge as a Presidential Service badge

But have you read the label exactly ?

"BADGE WHITEHOUSE SERVICE"

note "A - 6/64" ( contract date )

EO 11174 of Sept. 1, 1964 signed by President Lyndon B. Johnson retired the WHSB and issued a separate PSB.

Between June and September the name was changed from White House Service badge to Presidential Service badge.

So, are all items produced in this low numbers a 2nd version of the White House Service badge ? ;-)

Interesting

Michael

post-8324-0-85785900-1475616232_thumb.jpeg

post-8324-0-85785900-1475616232_thumb.jpeg

Hello

Here is the current overview of my White House / Presidential Service items

I hope to find a "V.H.B. G.I."

Michael

post-8324-0-84506800-1476019712_thumb.jpeg

• 1 year later...
roadrunner

I received for my collection the PSB number 1877 made by Williams & Anderson Co. with box.

This is my third PSB made by Williams & Anderson Co.

I have to hold all three, because #507 is the lowest number, #1877 is in the blue card box, and #2653 is with matching certificate and letter.

Michael

post-8324-0-04738500-1527946884_thumb.jpeg

post-8324-0-93842400-1527946900_thumb.jpeg

• 2 years later...

Hello everyone.  It's been interesting to read the postings about the PSB.  I am a recipient of the PSB; my number is in the 7800s, during the Reagan administration. That might give some perceptive about the numbers all of you hold in your collection.  Numbers are not skipped, to the best of my knowledge.  However, it should be noted that if a PSB holder needs a replacement PSB, they are issued one with a newer, currently issued number.  AR 670-1 regulates the wear of the PSB on the uniform for Army recipients; each branch of service has their own regulation manuals for their uniforms.  Besides the PSB, there are medals and ribbons that may be awarded during a person's tour of duty with any of the units involved in supporting the President, some of the are joint service awards.

Wikipedia's article on the PSB has been updated over the years, and is one of the best I've read.  This is another:  https://veteranscollection.org/tag/presidential-service-badge/

It should be noted that White House Signal Agency was renamed to White House Communications Agency.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/9/2010 at 10:42 AM, VMI88 said:

I just purchased a Presidential Service Badge in the original box and thought I'd add it to the thread:

post-265-1286635377.jpg

The box is dated 12/96 and is marked with a handwritten number matching the number on the badge.

I just picked up one of these myself in an antique store in northwest Ohio.  There appears to be a name written on the outside of the box -- "Buch" followed by "Sr" -- Senior maybe or some initials? I can't tell.  I think it could be the awardee's name.  Here are a few pictures.

20201003_134855 3.jpg

20201003_134905 3.jpg

20201003_134919 3.jpg

20201003_135014 3.jpg

20201003_135037 3.jpg

I'm thinking that is one of the several hundred that was unissued. Here's a selection of ones that I owned, and the number fits within the numbers here. 

IMG_0435.JPG

• 5 months later...

Hello All:

Should anyone come across a PSB in a collection / Pawn Shop / Where ever, with the number #7335, it was stolen in a theft.  It is my original number PSB issued to me on March 31, 1983.  The kicker is:  #7335 is my original badge, this badge got damage while I was still station at HMX-1 Security and had a second one issued (Number UNKNOWN).  Took the original to a jeweler and he fixed it.  So I had basically two of them.  In 1996, I had a break-in and ALL my Military items were taken with a bunch of other stuff.  Both my badges, all my pictures, uniforms, everything.  Such a bummer!

So I hope that someday it shows up and someone will be curious as to the Real Owner.  I will offer a reward if found.  LONGSHOT!