WW1 Grenade Bag Question

Bank Vault

I have a WW1 grenade bag, it is not perfect, but no tears or holes and all markings are intact. I am working on my catalog and was wondering what a rough estimate of value on this is, not that I intend to sell it, it is a merely a guide for my mother if something happens to me.

I have two brand new condition ones, with the original strap ties on them and can't get rid of them for $20 to save my life. These things are all over the place and there is a lot of debate that they were never used during the war. Theory is that having 11 grenades on your chest in a fire fight isn't conducive to long life. You might get lucky at $10 on a used, worn one.

Seems kinda high since its missing the shoulder strap. I paid $20 for mine but that was years ago. I guess we would have to find one that was sold or bought recently.

The WWI grenade bag is intended to be hooked to the belt. It seems it never reached France (in effect you cannot find a single bag on french market) and for it most are found mint unissued. After war it flooded surplus market where a shoulder strap was added. IMHO is a very desiderable item but rarely it's sold more than 20-30$. Mine is an E&W 7-18.

post-67-1238662598.jpg

I just had to go get mine out of the display case. Looks like you got it right ARTU44. The bag hooks are the type to hang from a belt and the strap look after market non military type . Mines HH-Co 7-18. Robert

I should add mines drop dead Mint also. Just another item made for the war that never made it "Over There". Now if I can just find that Pederson Device :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
john.manguso

Did the hand grenade bag have any interal compartments to hold the grenades? The bags pictured in this thread look a lot like 1904 haversacks, possibly converted to new uses???

I haven't my bag at the hands but maybe it's divided in half. Maybe this pic will help. IMHO the look-alike an M1908 haversack is casually.

post-67-1239637671.jpg

Mines not divided. Just one open bag. Robert

Correct. I checked mine and it's an open bag. The peculiar way of stitching makes narrow mouth and big belly as you can see from my pic.