Unknown canvas pouch

riverok

Among some canvas items I recently obtained are two UNMARKED, unused canvas pouches. They are light tan color and have metal hangers to attach to a web belt. There is a strap with a buckle to close the pouch. Size is approximately 14 inches long by 7 inches wide. The vet who had these was associated with a liaison unit which may have used the pouches for maps, documents, etc. Pilots who flew the L-5s may have used them? He could not recall.

Anyone have information on the pouch pictured?

Also there is a case marked surgical case and dated 1918. It has outlines of surgical instruments that fit inside.

Riverok

post-5625-1238621779.jpg

post-5625-1238621852.jpg

craig_pickrall

I'm not sure what the pouch is for but it does have the USMC style belt hook so look for a Marine connection. Were the liaision pilots Marines?

I don't know anything about WWI USMC stuff but to me that is what it looks like. The metal tab at the end of the strap look WWI-ish to me and with the USMC wire hanger.. Notice the metal end on my eagle snap medical kit. The buckle looks similar to. I don't know what that pouch was used for though.

-Matt.

post-137-1238632210.jpg

craig_pickrall

That USMC belt hook was only used during WW2 though not WW1.

I'm not sure what the pouch is for but it does have the USMC style belt hook so look for a Marine connection. Were the liaision pilots Marines?

Craig....the vet was in the Army Air Corps. Would you explain how Marine belt hangers differ from other hangers please?

Riverok