Tan and Woodland Camo ALICE

pezboy

Since this thread is back in use, here is a woodland 1 quart I have. I found it in the Virginia Beach area.

Mine compared to the others is in ripstop.

post-153263-0-84973200-1408558060.jpg

Stamp reads: ................... Canteen, 1 quart

DLA 100- (88?, 83?) - C - 4250

S & S GMT. MFG. CO.

post-153263-0-23383700-1408558257.jpg

• 4 months later...

I also found a compass pouch in the exact same rip-stop M81 fabric (see pics below). Is your canteen above also made out of M56 webbing material? This compass pouch appears to be an M56 compass pouch with the ripstop fabric sewn on top of it. No numbers that I can find on it - may have been worn off.

post-153909-0-16856900-1420240295.jpeg

I have recently noticed that the camouflage fabric is an exact match to an RDF ERDL jacket that I have in like-new condition. I am guessing that this item was made around that time, then - late 1970s or early 1980s? Since the compass pouch and the canteen cover were fabricated in woodland during the 1980s for the IIFS trials, I am starting to suspect more and more that my compass pouch and the above canteen cover are products of these trials. I am still looking for more input.

Someone has got to have more information on this. We know the following:

1.) the fabric on my compass pouch and PriorityOne's canteen cover is an EXACT match to the RDF ERDL camouflage pattern.

2.) the compass pouch uses an M-1956 pouch as a base on which the fabric is sewn.

3.) the compass pouch was stocked with 1960's - era first aid items.

I bought this ALICE canteen pouch years ago and didn't think much of it until reading this thread. I fished it out of a massive 9 ft x 9 ft x 3 ft bin filled to the top with canteen covers that had probably been on several deployments and then some. I think that this pouch can help shed some light on the issue of tan LC-2 gear.

post-122047-0-30465200-1421274248.jpg

Here's the canteen pouch in question. I have a 1968 plastic canteen and 1941 aluminum cup stuffed in there for reference. For one, it's not a good reproduction or commercial product like some of the covers in this thread. It has the US property stamp, so it's legit. The construction and stitching are completely typical of other LC-2 covers. Now the color is what is interesting about it. Besides the green trimming around the "ears," everything is done in a shade that is a very distinct earth-brown. I'm not sure that even an extensive amount of wear can turn a typical green LC-2 cover into this color.

post-122047-0-07791800-1421275414.jpg

This is the best I can capture of the markings. This canteen pouch must have ridden on someone's bum for many a mile!

COVER WATER CANTEEN LC-2

DLA... [unreadable]

84... [unreadable]

S &... [unreadable]

Just for the future the US stamp is no way to judge a real one from a fake, most repos have them too. As for the color, there is nothing special about it, I have hundreds of canteen covers, dye lots and from fading they can turn that color or are just that color new. There are many variations of colors from almost lime green to almost brown in color.

post-122047-0-02904400-1421275770.jpg

I picked up this cover because the color was so peculiar. I've included a South African Defence Force nutria bush hat for reference because, honestly, it's the closest match in color. My South African Pattern 83 chest rig (not pictured) is an even better match. None of my vanilla M1967 or ALICE gear even comes close to this cover's distinctly brown hue. What makes this especially strange is that it's much darker than the light tan gear provided to the Saudis and the Air Force, and probably made several years too early to boot.

Anyways, I think this cover establishes, at the very least, that tan LC-2 gear was issued to US troops. Otherwise, it would not have ended up with so much wear in a massive bin with hundreds of other LC-2 canteen covers. I don't think it's especially rare, but I'd love to be proven wrong on that one. :lol:

The mystery continues!

• 1 year later...
milsurp_scout_14

I resurrected this thread because I have a new piece to add--It's a Case, Medical Instrument and Supply Set No 8 (that's marked with the NSN on the underside of the flap). On top of the flap it has the NSN with "First Aid Kit,"...and the rest of the letters trail into a black part in the camo. NSN comes back as the 'real' NSN for the OD version. It is made in woodland of the same material as the early BDU's (winter weight, poplin, can't find the word!). This one takes the short version of the plastic case (which came with it). Seems to be built to the same specs as the OD version. Notably, there is no contract number. It looks too professional to have been 'rigger made'. I also have one of those camo compass pouches someone else mentioned earlier in the thread, although built of different materials.

post-153911-0-51506500-1483936158_thumb.jpg

post-153911-0-36896800-1483936173_thumb.jpg

post-153911-0-03870400-1483936179_thumb.jpg

milsurp_scout_14

Here's my compass case--(on the left, ignore the other thing). No markings on it, appears to have been made by an individual and not in a factory.

post-153911-0-66959900-1483936297_thumb.jpg

post-153911-0-53250200-1483936302_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
Cap Camouflage Pattern I

I found this "chocolate chip" pattern carrier in an Army Navy store in Allentown Pa after the first Gulf War. The construction is on par with government issue gear. It was manufactured by the London Bridge Trading company. While it does have a FSN it lacks a contract number.

Tim

post-153751-0-54071900-1488514567_thumb.jpg

3 years late but here are saudi troops using a similar canteen cover, these ones having both vertical and horizontal stitching.

• 1 year later...

Here's another issued system in Woodland. From what I understand, it was developed by the Marines in the 70s adapting STABO to SPIES. The Special Patrol Insertion Extraction System. While SPIES is used throughout the US military, I believe the vest/pouch system was only used by the Marine Corps starting in the 90s. The kit includes a TLBV style vest that has webbing on the front for ALICE pouches. There is a padded belt that can also accept ALICE pouches. A riggers belt, "swiss seat" leg portion that can have the riggers belt attached to make a rappel harness. STABO harness. The system also comes with M-16 double magazine pouches, SAW 100rd pouches and 40mm grenade pouches. All pouches mount using slide keepers. I'll try to dig up the NSNs for everything tomorrow.

post-213786-0-52317900-1548737988_thumb.jpg

post-213786-0-36552500-1548737996_thumb.jpg

I have been issued woodland cammie medium ALICE packs and woodland cammie field jackets. That was probably in the early to- mid 1990s. We did get a small cammie bag with a roll top, two eyelets and ALICE clips during DESERT STORM. We were told it was for our MOPP gear, but the bulky suits hardly fit. I don't believe war belts, canteen covers, mag pouches or first aid kits were ever made in tan or cammouflage patterns for standard government issue. Recently, I did find a woodland pattern map case that was stamped with a legit NSN.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Ran across this today. I don't think these are popular enough for someone to be making copies in M81. First one I recall seeing in woodland though. Pics got pretty gross on resizing.

post-213786-0-90527400-1550875750_thumb.jpg

milsurp_scout_14

That looks like the modern issue pickaxe case. Got one with the pickaxe I ordered from Uncle Sam's Retail Outlet a few years ago, it is issue.

On a side note, I got 2 fairly decent quality canteen covers today in DBDU (chocolate chip) camo. Totally aftermarket, but close in quality to issue. Those are harder to find than some of the woodland or tan.

I thought this was a commercial copy until I researched the NSN. Now I think it is a government issue item.

I found it in a Roanoke, Virginia gun shop. I haven't seen one before or since.

It is the same style as the old canvas map case including the impractically narrow pencil slots. The fabric is nylon with a thin rubber coating on the inside. The shoulder strap is slightly different. This one did not come with the oversized clear plastic document protectors and black plastic stiffeners as the canvas map cases did. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

• 4 years later...
On 8/18/2014 at 2:12 AM, Keystone said:

I found this "chocolate chip" pattern carrier in an Army Navy store in Allentown Pa after the first Gulf War. The construction is on par with government issue gear. It was manufactured by the London Bridge Trading company. While it does have a FSN it lacks a contract number.

Tim

post-192-0-88638100-1408320761.jpg

Here is one I found, coming from a VN a GW old collector, but with the "US" stamp and a contract number:

IMG_9209.JPG

IMG_9210.JPG

IMG_9211.JPG