1920 Enlisted Collar EGA Uniform Regulations

teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

With the uniform changes of 1920, the collar discs were discontinued and manufactures began a new cap & collar emblem set (simultaneous to introducing rolled collars and the discontinuing the Bell Crow Cap). Shown here is the first generation of this collar emblem series, which ran thru the 1926-28 period. And without a doubt, some were worn well beyond that period as well.

In subsequent posts, I hope others will show those made in the US and Europe by various companies (the variety of these 1920 pattern emblems is amazing). These include Meyer Metal, J.R Gault, Ronson and others. Hallmarked emblems thru this period are indeed rare and therefore typically command a premium, especially when found with a matching hallmarked cover emblem.

1920_collar_emblem_002.jpg

1920_collar_emblem_004.jpg

Here is a handful of the different M1920 enlisted collar emblems I have found over the years.

The "Made In England" marked version for dress blouse. Notice the very slender wings and body on this pattern.

post-84-1175217082.jpg

post-84-1175217098.jpg

The US M1920 versions made for the service blouse. This US pattern comes with both black and chocolate brown factory painted finish. These particular "birds" have the chocolate brown finish.

post-84-1175217423.jpg

post-84-1175217455.jpg

This M1920 pattern dress collar set with "clipped" wings has been identified by some collectors as possible German Occupation made after WWI. I have never seen evidence to support this claim and my personal opinion is they're a US made variation. I wish my camera worked better so I could show that this pattern has the fletchings between the latitude lines. Also note the much smaller anchor flukes. Very nicely made pair with no hallmarks.

If anyone has further information on this pattern, please do share with the rest of us.

post-84-1175217951.jpg

post-84-1175217977.jpg

This set of dress collar emblems is hallmarked and attributed to NS Meyer in New York with the MeyerMetal logo on one wing and Meyer shield on the other. Once again, sorry my camera doesn't work better for shots of the hallmarks. Notice the thinly stamped rollers.

post-84-1175218528.jpg

post-84-1175218555.jpg

Similar in design to the MeyerMetal emblems above, this unhallmarked service blouse set is stamped from very thin copper/ bronze. Note the very distinct three tier wing pattern on this set and the previous Meyer dress set.

Because of the Meyer hallmarks and rollers on the dress set above, plus the rollers on this set, I'm still not absolutely convinced that these two collar sets are of the M1920 pattern. My personal opinion is that these might be a later variation that were made by Meyer to compete with the M1930-1937 "Gooney" or "droop wing" issue pattern which were very unpopular with Marines in the 1930's. Everything about this pattern suggests mid 1930's manufacture, so I would like very much to hear the opinions of other collectors.

post-84-1175219622.jpg

post-84-1175219638.jpg

teufelhunde.ret
The US M1920 versions made for the service blouse. This US pattern comes with both black and chocolate brown factory painted finish. These particular "birds" have the chocolate brown finish.

Both the black and brown emblems are pictured side by side. Gary.... thanks for the additional info to this post.

1920_collar_emblem_b___b.jpg

• 2 months later...
Bob Hudson
This set of dress collar emblems is hallmarked and attributed to NS Meyer in New York with the MeyerMetal logo on one wing and Meyer shield on the other. Once again, sorry my camera doesn't work better for shots of the hallmarks. Notice the thinly stamped rollers.

I picked up a single mate to those today: Meyers Metal and the shield. However, it has the thick roller.

ega0608a.jpg

ega0608aback.jpg

ega0608amarks.jpg

teufelhunde.ret
I picked up a single mate to those today: Meyers Metal and the shield. However, it has the thick roller.

That emblem is in very good condition and highly prized as a hallmarked period original. With its mate and cover emblem, they will command a tidy sum for someone seeking to complete a uniform. For that matter, a set of these will command more than a complete period uniform! Great catch thumbsup.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Steve Brannan

I have had this EGAs for a long time and wonder how old it is. It is collar emblem size with a bronze finish with a screw back. What do you think? I was guessing early 1920s .

post-1848-1195598893.jpg

post-1848-1195598910.jpg

Steve Brannan

Here's another of the same style but silver in color and with wire back fasteners. I think this one is older. Same shirt size as the other.

post-1848-1195606305.jpg

post-1848-1195606318.jpg

Steve Brannan

Thanks for the info. I am an old Marine collector but new to this site. Here's my best effort at up close photography. Have any idea why it is silver in color. Appears original to me.

-post-1848-1195675203.jpg

-post-1848-1195675221.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Hi Steve, well your emblem(s) are not rare in that sense, they were (are) obscure in a way. By in large the pattern is attributed to the 20's era, however, they seemed to have been made and were in existence and or production by some up to WW2. And are arguably very difficult to date as they have been seen with clutch-back (the earliest known clutch-back we know of, were on EGA's were Officer gooneys in the latter half of the 20's) as well as screw-back. With that said, this style has also been seen in thinly stamped and die stamped heavy metal (and perhaps some casted types).

Without the benefit of hallmark or a silver mark... I presume its a guess on your part, that this one is from silver or silver plate? That would make the piece very obscure, for sure. And if it is of silver, its likely a private purchase, setting it apart as being truly unique. My guess from the appearance of the reverse with the limited photo qualities, this is a emblem an owner likely had the prongs installed on after breaking the screw-post off, as it appears that the globe is nearly full of lead solder to hold the prongs in place. I have seen these types of repairs in dozens of occasions, few using prongs. After the Spanish War era prong backs were seldom seen unless they were on covers of that era as well as those who made the Corps a career.

Thanks for sharing, I hope Gary sees this as well. I will be interested in his thought's.