Sergeant First Class, Military Police, 1st HQ Train, 1st Division, October 1918

world war I nerd

world war I nerd

SERGEANT 1st CLASS, 1st HQ Train, 1st Division,

Cheppy Sector, France, October, 1918

Prior to World War I a separate military police service did not exist in the U.S. Army and the soldiers detailed to perform this duty were temporarily appointed from among the regiment’s ordinary personnel, with most having little or no formal police training. Now that America had become involved in the Great War the need for a professional Military Police force (MP) became evident and in 1917 the War Department reorganized the divisional tables and organization to provide one MP Company as part of each Division's Headquarters Train. A.E.F. General Order No. 111 established America’s first professional military police force under the command of the Provost Marshal General. This separate branch of service was designated as the MP Corps and was later renamed the MP Service. Each MP Company consisted of thirty one enlisted men and NCOs; twenty privates, 1st class; four corporals; four sergeants; two battalion sergeant majors and one regimental sergeant major. All under the command of a major, who was the division’s Provost Marshal.

General Pershing considered that the MP Service, because of its conspicuous nature, would be more highly visible to the members of the A.E.F., all soldiers of the Allied Nations and to the French civilians. Because of this he demanded that each member of the MP Service set an example and excel in military courtesy, bearing, efficiency, smartness of appearance and that they maintain ridged discipline at all times. The men selected had to be at least twenty one years of age, a minimum of five feet seven inches tall, free from all physical defects, intelligent and not addicted to liquor. They also had to be able to read, write and understand English. Not an unusual requirement considering the large number of non English speaking immigrant soldiers that served in the A.E.F.

The primary duties of the MP included maintaining order and enforcing regulations among the members of the AEF, it conducted criminal investigations, recovered stolen government property, apprehended deserters and stragglers, managed enemy prisoners while in the battle zone, it implemented anti gas regulations in the “Gas alert” and “Gas danger” zones and most importantly, it controlled troop movement and enforced the regulation of road traffic and circulation in accordance with orders issued by the proper authorities.

Regulating and controlling road traffic was extremely important to GHQ, especially during operations. The success of which, could depend on the uninterrupted passage of reinforcements, reserves, ammunition, food, water and other essential supplies to the front, and the flow of ambulances laden with wounded and empty supply vehicles to the rear. As soon as the sun went down long crawling trains of endless motor trucks, supply wagons, motorcycles, batteries of guns and columns of weary marching soldiers were on the move and it fell to the MP to organize this constantly moving chaos and keep the tangled columns of heavy traffic moving, all the while watching for “unauthorized traveling”, breeches of road traffic orders and any driver that violated the “rules of the road”. A pioneer infantryman moving in the crush of traffic described the confusion found on just one of the narrow French roads that led to the front,

“We marched up the road thickly congested with traffic in darkness and perfect silence, large heavily loaded motor trucks, ammunition trains, wagons, cannons, machine gun carts, ambulances and hundreds and hundreds of tired troops moved in a solid never ending mass.”

Another exhausted foot soldier explained one of the many ways that the heavy traffic on the over crowded roads could became hopelessly knotted,

“The roads were jammed, trucks by the hundreds, wagons by the thousands, guns, caissons mounted men, infantry, tanks going in two steady streams, no lights and every night some fellow would try to get ahead of his line which would cause a jam.”

In addition to managing the flow of traffic the MPs had to know the approximate distances to, and the location of railheads, supply dumps, depots, dressing stations, water points, first aid trucks, YMCA and Red Cross huts, regimental and higher HQ and they had to be aware of the position of the engineer “snatch teams” that were needed to fill shell holes and remove disabled vehicles that held up traffic. A soldier serving in the 91st Division, whose arm had been shattered by a shell fragment, aptly conveys the ebb and flow of the slow moving traffic and heavy congestion on the roads during a major operation. Trucks loaded with Doughboys and mule drawn carts of various descriptions all rolling towards the battlefield, while files of tired French infantrymen, German prisoners and walking wounded all moved in a steady stream away from the front,

“Having appeased my hunger and rested, I started once more to make my way along the road toward the rear. By this time the road was choked with all kinds of traffic moving at a snails pace. Everything would move forward a few paces then stop. Perhaps a culvert had been blown up or a truck wrecked by a German shell. Immediately the engineers would plunge in to repair the culvert or the truck would be dragged off to the side of the road. Then traffic would slide forward a few more feet. Mule skinners lounged beside their animals, while truck drivers dozed in their seats. We walkers naturally had to struggle along at the side of the road the best we could.”

Due to of the absence of the MP in the front lines, the average Doughboy believed that they did very little to help defeat the enemy and in their opinion thought that the MPs existed solely to make their lives miserable. This was primarily because the A.E.F. employed what was called a “Pass and Control” system for straggler control and the apprehension of “shirkers”, “slackers”. This involved a network of examining or check points located immediately behind the lines and throughout France, in train stations, leave areas, major cities, etc, where the men had to present passes, travel documents or other orders, which were scrutinized by the always suspicious MP’s to ascertain if they were on “French leave”, otherwise known in the army as AWOL. A sergeant who made maps for GHQ with the 29th Engineers stated,

“Some of our guys went A.W.O.L. yesterday to Nancy and brought back wonderful stories of the place and of almost being picked up by the M.P.s Going A.W.O.L. is one of the most popular sports of the AEF.”

The large number of MPs that were needed behind the lines to supervise the enlisted men and to a lesser extent the behavior of officers, when on leave, led to numerous comments like these made by three different off duty privates from the 341st Field Artillery, 165th Infantry and the 148th Infantry Regiments, respectively, all regarding the large presence of the hated MPs that patrolled the back roads, railroad stations and metropolitan areas of France and later Germany,

“Got a pass yesterday, went down to Trier, too many MP they are thick as flies.” — “Walked all over town with J. Moran, MPs have some team.” — “Received another two months pay mine was 184 francs, 60 centimes, and some were permitted to go to Toul, about four miles distance, where we enjoyed a fair time, but altogether too many MPs posted to have any amount of fun.”

In the larger cities and leave areas the MPs were under orders to be on the lookout for any “Dirty disheveled soldiers appearing in public, casting discredit upon the uniform.” The strict dress code for all off duty members of the A.E.F., especially in rear areas, sometimes led to petty harassment by the MPs, which quite naturally generated a great deal of resentment among the front line troops. A private in the 2nd Division’s, 15th Field Artillery explained how any minor transgression could sometimes result in draconian punishment,

“Some of the boys took a trip to Paris. Personally I didn’t care about a furlough under the conditions, as the Military Police were always on the job. The least little violation of army rules would place a fellow under arrest and subject him to two or three months in the mill without pay.”

In fact, the need to maintain such a large presence of MP in metropolitan areas to register soldiers arriving on leave, verify paperwork, patrol the cafes and bars, guard the houses of prostitution, suppress the black market and to monitor the Doughboys overall behavior, was such that in September 1918 a training depot for the MP had to be established in

post-5143-1238599977.jpg

world war I nerd

France. Because the duties carried out by the MPs directly impacted the off duty combat soldiers, most failed to notice the important role that the MPs played and the exceptional work that they performed, when directing traffic, often under fire on the congested muddy, pock marked roads of France. One A.E.F. officer in the 89th Division did take notice and wrote,

“We came to a place where traffic was hopelessly tangled and a perspiring MP was trying desperately to straighten it out.”

Here this military policeman is doing his utmost to insure that the men, machines and animals are kept moving in the proper direction, as fifteen entire U.S. divisions were now crowding the narrow roads leading up to their assembly points for the attacks on the Meuse River and into the Argonne Forest.

Just visible on the collar of the 1917 Service Coat is the U.S. National Collar Disc and the Branch of Service Collar Disc, bearing the raised letter “H”, which was authorized for all personnel who were assigned to the division’s Headquarters’ (HQ) detachment. This collar disc was first authorized for enlisted men of the MP in 1915 and the same disc was also worn by other members of the HQ detachment and by the personnel assigned to Brigade, Corps and Army HQ. At some point in 1918 an unauthorized collar disc with the raised letters “MP”, made for members of the MP began to appear. The pin back French MP Collar Disc is worn on the left front curtain of the MPs second pattern U. S. made Overseas Cap.

During the war the 1917 Overcoat was standard issue to all Doughboys of the A.E.F. Early on, it was discovered that the long skirts, which hung well below the knees often dragged through the mud and water made the coat unnecessarily heavy. To prevent the coats from dragging in the mud many Doughboys field modified the coat by cutting the skirts shorter. Although a practical solution, the ragged uneven hems left much to be desired, in the eyes of military spit and polish, causing GHQ to decree that the longer overcoats were too bulky for use in the trenches and an official shortened version of the 1917 Overcoat was soon authorized. This garment was again found to be too bulky for some duties and a new coat was designed and designated as the 1917 Short Overcoat (not to be confused with the modified, standard issue shortened 1917 Overcoat).

The 1917 Short Overcoat worn by this MP, shares many of the characteristics found on the 1917 Pea Jacket or “Driver’s Coat” and on the 1917 Overcoat. It had no adjustment tabs or buttons on the sleeve cuffs, a roll collar and two patch pockets below the waist, all of which were found on the 1917 Pea Jacket, except, the buttonless pocket flaps on the short overcoat were pointed rather than straight. The new short overcoat retained a full cotton drill lining, the half belt at the rear waist and its skirt remained split up the back for freedom of movement, just like the longer 1917 Overcoat. However, the Short Overcoat differed from both its cousins by being knee length and having two rows of four, tunic size bronze eagle buttons to close the front opening and two additional bronze buttons were needed to secure the half belt on the rear waist.

During WWI the army formed many new branches of service and most of them required its own insignia to be embroidered onto the NCO chevrons. The need to supply the growing army with so many different chevrons, each with its own special design overwhelmed the supply system and they were eventually found to be unnecessary. In May 1918, the War Department authorized the use of plain chevrons without any branch, corps or department insignia for the entire A.E.F. It took some time for this change to make its way overseas but by the autumn of 1918 the plain chevrons began to appear with greater frequency. The Sergeant First Class Chevron, now worn only on the right sleeve is composed of three chevrons above a single “rocker”. Pinned above the left elbow is the distinctive MP Brassard consisting of the letters “MP” cut from either red or white felt and stitched onto a black wool background.

Also worn by the MP are 1917 Service Breeches in wool, Woolen Puttees, hobnailed 1917 Field Shoes and a U.S. pattern khaki wool Overseas Cap, which was authorized for all members of the A.E.F. in January 1918. This cap was inspired by the French and British Army style side caps and they could be folded flat and easily stored whenever the soldier wore the steel helmet. Suspended from the neck by a waxed cord taken from a gasmask satchel is the “Kinglet” Whistle in brass. Whistles were a handy item used to signal drivers or otherwise get their attention above the din of traffic and the roar of incoming shells, while attempting to unsnarl the traffic jams that frequently occurred on the crowded roads that led to the trenches. Tucked into the pistol belt is a pair of early war seamless machine woven khaki Wool Gloves which were issued to each Doughboy for winter wear.

This MP is lightly equipped for ease of movement and wears an early example of the M1912 Pistol Belt and M1912 Pistol Magazine Pocket both featuring the rimless eagle snap which had been discontinued in 1917, but still saw service throughout the war. Both can be further identified as being of pre World War I manufacture by the olive drab or pea green color that was used to dye the woven cotton webbing. Hooked onto the bronze eyelets along the bottom edge of the belt are a M1910 First Aid Pouch and a M1916 Pistol Holster for the M1911 .45 Automatic Pistol. The automatic has a M1917 Pistol Lanyard fixed onto the magazine ring and is looped around the MPs head and shoulder to prevent its loss. During the war the field equipment carried by German soldiers became popular souvenirs for the men of the A.E.F. and everything from grenades to uniform buttons were collected by the advancing Doughboys. According to one artilleryman in the 42nd Division,

“When the Germans retreated they threw away some of their equipment--- the woods are full of German ammunition of all kinds, hand grenades, rifles, steel helmets, mess kits, canteens and even clothes! So at last the “Souvenir hunting” Americans can get what they want.”

It was also common for German prisoners of war to exchange or sell any field gear, medals and other small items left in their possession to the souvenir hungry American guards for extra food, tobacco and even alcohol. A German water bottle has been “acquired” by this MP and now hangs from the rear of his pistol belt by its leather strap and belt slide in place of the American M1910 Canteen. This German “ersatz” M1907 Water Bottle with a capacity of one and three quarter pints of liquid has a khaki felt cover fastened around the blue enameled, iron body and is secured by four small snap fasteners.

The U.S. made M1917 CE Small Box Respirator (SBR) housed inside a brown canvas satchel is worn correctly in the “carry” position, slung from the right shoulder with the satchel resting on the right hip. This indicates that the MP is beyond the two mile limit of the Gas Alert Zone, where GHQ mandated that the gasmask was to be carried in the “alert” position high on the chest at all times and that he is still within the twelve mile Gas Danger Zone, where a gasmask had to be continually carried by each soldier but not in the alert position. Curiously, this satchel has a leather tab riveted onto the lower shoulder strap which was typically found only on the British made SBR haversack. The leather tab when buttoned onto the bronze button higher up on the sling, which also found only on the English SBR, shortened the strap so it could be worn in the alert position. There are several possibilities for this anomaly, first; early examples of the U.S. made satchels may have incorporated components from the British style gasmask haversack, second, the original U.S. style strap may have been damaged in combat and replaced by a strap from a salvaged British gasmask bag or third, the U.S. made shoulder strap was field modified by an ambitious soldier, who preferred the British made leather tab and bronze button over the large hook and eye that was used on all U.S. made gasmask satchels to shorten the sling.

post-5143-1238600093.jpg

world war I nerd

Does anybody have any information regarding the white versus red Military Police brassards that were worn by the A.E.F. during WW I? While I've seen period photos with red letters most seem to be white.

The majority of period photos show MP's wearing brassards with white letters, while most of the WW I MP brassards I've encountered all have red letters?

Can anybody help???

post-943-1238601214.jpgpost-943-1238601229.jpg

Does anybody have any information regarding the white versus red Military Police brassards that were worn by the A.E.F. during WW I? While I've seen period photos with red letters most seem to be white.

The majority of period photos show MP's wearing brassards with white letters, while most of the WW I MP brassards I've encountered all have red letters?

Can anybody help???

I have seen plenty of images with the red on black MP brassard being worn. I have posted two from my collection of PC images above. The soldier on the right has the red backings behind his collar disks, too.

New Romantic

I forgot to add, awesome topic Bryan! I'm sure you've really been getting WWI collectors hyped with your posts ;)

WWI Nerd and I were discussing the MP brassards a few months ago about the white vs. red letters. I mentioned that a friend of mine had a 29th Division MP uniform and I recall that had white letters on the brassard. I took photos of it back in 2003 when I was maintaining a militaria site for my friend but I've lost the images since then. My friend is a militaria dealer so the uniform is in someone's collection, maybe a forum member.

New Romantic
Curiously, this satchel has a leather tab riveted onto the lower shoulder strap which was typically found only on the British made SBR haversack. The leather tab when buttoned onto the bronze button higher up on the sling, which also found only on the English SBR, shortened the strap so it could be worn in the alert position. There are several possibilities for this anomaly, first; early examples of the U.S. made satchels may have incorporated components from the British style gasmask haversack, second, the original U.S. style strap may have been damaged in combat and replaced by a strap from a salvaged British gasmask bag or third, the U.S. made shoulder strap was field modified by an ambitious soldier, who preferred the British made leather tab and bronze button over the large hook and eye that was used on all U.S. made gasmask satchels to shorten the sling.

I'll cover the gas mask bag in a US Gas Masks topic I plan to do in a few months.

world war I nerd

Thanks for the great photos ATB and Frankie

It’s nice to see the red backing that the MP's used to wear behind their ordinary collar discs before there was an official MP collar insignia.

I guess I need to post some MP photos. They aren’t as impressive as yours, but they are better than nothing

No. 1 is an MP at a small crossroads somewhere in France. Note the white MP Brassarrd and the night stick.

post-5143-1238604094.gif

world war I nerd

Here’s another of some MPs and POWs lined up for chow. The MPs seem pretty happy about the eats but the POWs must be upset because there is no sauerkraut!

post-5143-1238604366.gif

world war I nerd

I'll be looking forward to whatever you have to say regarding gasmasks and their carriers Frankie.

Here is an MP circa 1916 down on the border. His brassard has oversized white initials and he is wearing the M1911 Leather Garrison Belt. Notice how he has rigged his M1912? Holster for the .45 to slide over the belt like a revolver holster. Has anybody seen this done before?

post-5143-1238605882.jpg

New Romantic

Can anybody help???

Nobody has any thoughts on this?

world war I nerd

I emailed a copy of this photo to Forum member Artu44 who claimed that the holster is a M1912 Holster whose swivel had broken and was repaired by adding a belt loop much like the ones found on the revolver holsters.

He kindly emailed these photos from his collection.

post-5143-1238687500.jpg

post-5143-1238687541.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
New Romantic

Here's a photo I saw recently on eBay of an MP with different letters brassard. His pistol cartridge belt and revolver are not regulation items. They are the photographer's props and these show up in other studio portraits.

post-599-1240867842.jpg

CNY Militaria

I'll take a few pics of the WWI MP Display at the MP Museum. They have a few variations of WWI uniforms I had NEVER seen before!

New Romantic
I'll take a few pics of the WWI MP Display at the MP Museum. They have a few variations of WWI uniforms I had NEVER seen before!

Sounds good Schottzie, WWI Nerd will appreciate that, especially photos of the brassards.

During WW I the US closely followed many British practices. The US Army PM and APM armbands for provost marshal and asst PM were red with black letters. There is a possibility of US MPs wearing British armbands, but as early as 1914 (as I recall the year) the US Army called for MPs to wear denim armbands, as did post WW I regs, so denim armbands were the norm in WW I.

Here are a couple of examples of the more narrow style of MP brassards often seen in WWI.

MP_Brassards_WWI_.JPG

MP_Brassards_WWI_back.JPG

world war I nerd

Sarge,

Thanks for posting the MP brassards. Interesting closure methods, I've seen snaps before but never a lace.

Any idea why the AEF used or changed the initials "MP" from red to white or vice versa? or if there is any significance to the blue versus black backgrounds?

From the period photos I've seen the larger sized initials seem to be pre or early WW I. Does anybody else have an opinion, or better yet some information on this?

There are so many variations of these brassards it is difficult to say why or when changes occurred. I suspect that US troops at first copied the English method of using red for the letters and backgrounds on the collar discs for the Military Police. But, as the photos above show there were certainly variations of this armband. Posts 8 & 9 show the narrow armband in wear while 10 shows the wide armband with periods after each letter and this is generally thought to be a USMC brassard. If that is not enough, posts 13 & 14 show outlined MP letters on a denim or cotton duck armband.

Ah, variations... what would we collector's do without them?

Neat uniform display by the way! thumbsup.gif

world war I nerd

Here's another photo of MP's lined up for some Salvation Army doughnuts, wearing red on blue or black brassards.

post-5143-1241212178.gif

• 10 months later...

Does anyone have a period photograph of a WWI MP wearing scarlet tabs behind his collar disks? This article is from the September 20, 1918 issue of Stars and Stripes.

post-203-1267732482.jpg