MEDICAL - extracation devise

Tom @ Snake River

Tom @ Snake River

This may belong in the reference section, but lets run it up the flag pole here.

I am a field ambulance EMT here in Fremont County and could not pass this one up when I saw it at the surplus store.

In the civilian world we call them KEDRICK EXTRCATION DEVISE (KED) except they are usually from the tail bone going up.

KED3.jpg

KED2.jpg

KED1.jpg

There are long manila tow ropes on each end that looks like they are for dragging a patient out of the field under fire.

There are about a series of 6 color coded buckles.

I would say it is something from the Viet Nam era.

There are unreadable markings on the back.

What do you guys think ? ? ? That is me on the right.

That is a "Neil-Robertson" stretcher. Used for getting casualties out of tight vertical spaces, i.e. subs or ships. Sometimes also used for helo winching a casualty, but not designed for such. I believe they have been in use since WWII. The KED and Reeves stretcher are civilian variations of it. The color coding probably means it is a recent (last 10-15 years?). In the early 80's ours were not color coded.

Tom @ Snake River
That is a "Neil-Robertson" stretcher. Used for getting casualties out of tight vertical spaces, i.e. subs or ships. Sometimes also used for helo winching a casualty, but not designed for such. I believe they have been in use since WWII. The KED and Reeves stretcher are civilian variations of it. The color coding probably means it is a recent (last 10-15 years?). In the early 80's ours were not color coded.

Thanks for the answer. You can tell that the color coded buckles are just done with paint.

Fremont County Idaho is the county next to Yellowstone Park. We have more than our fair share of interesting calls on ambulance and Search & Rescue.

Army Surplus Warehouse had several more of these, however they may be missing the head piece.

I love to collect medical, have a lot of vehicles not not an ambulance, - yet - .

Commandcar.jpg