Vanguard Industries Insignia Hallmarks

Sivart

Vanguard has been making military insignia for many, many decades but all you ever see really is the more modern ones with just the "V" for a mark: I wonder if that one with the eagle, shield and V was something they used in the distant past?

Thanks! So would it be safe to assume that this is an early example, both by the maker and and the award itself?

I have never seen any info on dating Vanguard hallmarks. I will change the thread's title a bit to maybe atrract someone who has some info on that.

teufelhunde.ret

There is very little out there about their insignia beyond the Co web site. In their founding years they sold buttons & braid to the NY Navy yards. Until the grandson of one of the founders joined in 43, they never expanded or traveled outside their area. And the expansion into insignia was seemingly modest at that. When the grandson joined is 65, he took the operation worldwide. The only hallmark from the WW2 period I could locate is this rather poor picture:

yhst_48185403238781_2044_7375596.jpg

I believe the Vanguard hallmark on the CIB is 1960s as you have the code V21 on each sides of the V. The Vanguard hallmark on the air crew wing is 1950s as you have the code 1V on each side of the V. The captain bars look like they have the code V21 on each side of the V so this would date it from the 1960s on. I have attached scans of two paratrooper wings with the 1960s Vanguard hallmark of V21. I have yet to come across a paratrooper wing with the Vanguard hallmark of 1V.

post-1389-1238525687.jpg

post-1389-1238525695.jpg

post-1389-1238525703.jpg

post-1389-1238525710.jpg

I believe the Vanguard hallmark on the CIB is 1960s as you have the code V21 on each sides of the V. The Vanguard hallmark on the air crew wing is 1950s as you have the code 1V on each side of the V. The captain bars look like they have the code V21 on each side of the V so this would date it from the 1960s on. I have attached scans of two paratrooper wings with the 1960s Vanguard hallmark of V21. I have yet to come across a paratrooper wing with the Vanguard hallmark of 1V.

Thanks - you've solved the mystery. After reading your post I remembered something I'd seen on Andrew Lipps handy military hallmark page at http://www.wartimecollectables.com/zhallmarks.htm :

"Single Letter / Single Number codes such as 9M (Meyer) were used between 1960-1965 (albeit some companies were slow). Single Letter / Double Digit Number codes such as V-21 (Vanguard) were made after 1965 until about 1978." And he says if you see something like "V-21-N" with a single letter after the number, then that's current production.

Thanks for the help, the link is very helpful. I will post better pictures in the CIB forum when I recieve this one, I have a few to add as I have been on a CIB spree lately.

I just got this off of ebay last night because it was a variation on the Vanguard hallmark that I haven't seen before. Is this a WW2 era hallmark or is it post-war? It appears in the "Wings of Gold" book under the WW2 section but they aslo have a 1-B marked Balfour in that section and also a Meyer wing with the Marine post-war alpha numeric codes and we all know that they are both post-war wings. Not slamming the book just pointing out that new information has come to light on the timeframe of those wings so inclusion in their WW2 section is not a lock as to the timeframe of this wing. Anyhow, does anyone know when Vanguard was using this hallmark? I don't really care either way as I love Naval Aviator wings so this one stays in the collection no matter what the timeframe. I'm just trying to decide which case it should go in. Thanks!

003.jpg

004.jpg

Bob,

I've had some known WWII Naval insignia with this hallmark, so I have always considered this to be WWII era

paul

Thanks Paul. I'm used to seeing the more common Vanguard Naval Aviator wings with this similar script but with a hollowed out back. I hadn't seen one like this before with the solid back and the 1/20th 10k markings, other than in the "Wings of Gold" book.

101combatvet

They have been in the business for over ninety years. Recently, they have bought up N.S. Meyer and Hilborn-Hamburger Inc. because of government lawsuits those companies were involved in.

Vanguard has been making military insignia for many, many decades but all you ever see really is the more modern ones with just the "V" for a mark: I wonder if that one with the eagle, shield and V was something they used in the distant past?

Here is a small 1 inch observer wing with the script writing. It is always hard to know for sure, but I have always felt that this little jewel was pre-war. As for your wing Its hard to know for sure with USN wings (because they seem to have been using the same stock from ~1941 until ~1960 or so), but I would say it was WWII vintage.

Patrick

post-1519-1239295176.jpg

101combatvet

The pin configuration was used after the war.

Here is a small 1 inch observer wing with the script writing. It is always hard to know for sure, but I have always felt that this little jewel was pre-war. As for your wing Its hard to know for sure with USN wings (because they seem to have been using the same stock from ~1941 until ~1960 or so), but I would say it was WWII vintage.

Patrick

• 4 months later...
Cobrahistorian

Here's the back of the Vanguard Observer wings I just got this weekend (along with his uniforms).

I'm pretty sure these are prewar as well:

post-50776-0-15535000-1400214999.jpg

post-50776-0-59941900-1400215010.jpg

• 3 months later...

here are two 1-V marked jump wings one is sterling marked the other is not

post-2718-1260507032.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
They have been in the business for over ninety years. Recently, they have bought up N.S. Meyer and Hilborn-Hamburger Inc. because of government lawsuits those companies were involved in.

What kind of law suits ? what happened ?

• 8 months later...