Compasses - Various designs and time periods

craig_pickrall

Some USMIL survival kit compasses (post WWII), the smallest one in the bottom pic is of unknown origin, but appears to be a very high quality "escape" compass.

From what I have learned, the British first created those very small escape compasses, made small enough and smooth enough that you could swallow one if captured and then recover it when you had your first BM after capture. Here's one of the SAS compasses, this one from a US C-47 pilot in the CBI theatre.

escapecompasssmall.jpg

• 2 months later...
craig_pickrall

All of them have the lanyard ring. The compasses are posed in different positions to show all sides but if you look closely you can see the rings.

All of them have the lanyard ring. The compasses are posed in different positions to show all sides but if you look closely you can see the rings.

this small ring that has a cord through it, the older models dont have one

• 2 years later...
This is the US Navy MK 1 MOD 0 Compass used by underwater swimmers. This includes UDT / SEAL Teams.

post-5-1175183923.jpg

post-5-1175183934.jpg

post-5-1175183944.jpg

Hi Craig,

may I ask you tha date of your MK1Mod0 Depth gauge? I've one but very different of yours and 1959 dated. Maybe yours is a model from the end of the 60's or a 70's one?

Pictures of my MK1Mod0:

mk1mod10.jpg

Sorry I've no pictures of the open gauge for the moment but I put more photos as possible.

craig_pickrall

The one I show is a compass, not a depth gauge. I do not think there is a date on it or I would have mentioned it in my original post.

craig_pickrall

I'm not sure when they were first used but I have a manual dated 1965 that shows that same compass.

• 2 months later...

Hello Craig, I just got this lensatic compass from WW2 and this is the first time I see those markings on this kind of compass.

Is has been made by W. & L. Gurley and the cover is just marked SUPERIOR MAGNETO CORP.

I just would like to add some pictures for reference.

Laurent M.

post-8590-1300801079.jpg

• 3 years later...
patrickvyvyan

I'd just like to resurrect this old thread and ask if Laurent M has learned anything more about his curious compass, or if anyone else has any comments!

Gurley, of Troy, N.Y and the Superior Magneto Corp of Long Island were of course two different companies. Both made this type of compass; Gurley from about 1942 to 1944 and Magneto from 1944 to 1951. So when I first saw Laurent's compass I thought it was a "Frankenstein" repair.

However, looking further, this is the only compass I have seen marked only "Superior Magneto Corp". All others have a least the L.I. City address. Most wartime versions also have "Corps of Engineers, U.S. Army", although post war civilian versions don't.

So I'm wondering if this could be a sort of prototype transition model from early 1944. Its pristine condition suggests it was never issued.

Any thoughts?

• 3 years later...

Corps of Engineer

Cruchon Emons Berne 1918

Cruchon Emons Paris 1918

Plan Ltd Neuchatel 1918

1-PLan-Ltd-Neuchatel-Switzerland-1918-2-

CruchonEmons-Paris-France-EUCMH.jpg

CruchonEmons-Paris-France-EUCMH-002.jpg

CruchonEmons-Paris-France-EUCMH-003.jpg

US-Bino-M-3-01-1068x838.jpg

Please note it's not mine (this one) but I have one and several other compasses but I need to shot photos

I'd just like to resurrect this old thread and ask if Laurent M has learned anything more about his curious compass, or if anyone else has any comments!

Gurley, of Troy, N.Y and the Superior Magneto Corp of Long Island were of course two different companies. Both made this type of compass; Gurley from about 1942 to 1944 and Magneto from 1944 to 1951. So when I first saw Laurent's compass I thought it was a "Frankenstein" repair.

However, looking further, this is the only compass I have seen marked only "Superior Magneto Corp". All others have a least the L.I. City address. Most wartime versions also have "Corps of Engineers, U.S. Army", although post war civilian versions don't.

So I'm wondering if this could be a sort of prototype transition model from early 1944. Its pristine condition suggests it was never issued.

Any thoughts?

I can also add something to this 'at least) 10 compasses or more ... not sure