Are these wings fake?

horsa

Have had these awhile and was looking at them. They don't look die stamped to me. They look cast. What do you think? I'm betting fake. Thanks for looking.

post-2731-1238385647.jpg

post-2731-1238385706.jpg

Have had these awhile and was looking at them. They don't look die stamped to me. They look cast. What do you think? I'm betting fake. Thanks for looking.

I will defer to some of the more experienced folks, but if they are fake I want them, or a pair like them, for my repro AAF class A's .

They seem very well done. I wish I could see the side, is there a line from molding?

T-Bone

I will defer to some of the more experienced folks, but if they are fake I want them, or a pair like them, for my repro AAF class A's .

They seem very well done. I wish I could see the side, is there a line from molding?

T-Bone

Thanks for taking a look T-Bone. They are nicely made, and there's some verdigris at the spots where the pin is soldered. But the edges of the wings are smooth and I can't see any file-type marks. If they were die-stamped then they were very carefully finished. There is not the typical cast line on the wings, more of a beveled edge.

These are die struck. Not cast.

Thank you Joe. I appreciate the courtesy. The reason I thought they were cast is that the edges of the insignia show none of the marks typically associated with die-stamped wings. Whoever finished these must have spent some time making sure there were no rough edges. Odd that unmarked wings would show that much attention to detail.