UH-1M 66-15077 My long-term project

Cobrahistorian

snake36bravo

Jon - I hope you get it. They are still considered controlled inventory. If you had non-profit museum status it would be better for you. There a good number over the border but the Gov wont let them be re-imported, not even for museums.

From the images you certainly have your work cut out for you but there is enough there and I think #077 looks pretty damn good for all those years sitting. The panel restoration alone is well over $2500 but it's a labor of love, I know. Im working on the static restoration of #66-00623 controlled crash at Ben Het. Flew with 170th AHC 'Buccaneers' as BUC-3 out of Bikini Beach - 135th 'Taipans' - C 1/16 'Darkhorse'. Rebuilt by Bell twice. It's not mine and I've been looking for my own as well.

post-2582-1238721724.jpg

Cobrahistorian
BUC-3 in Vietnam.

If I was a rich man I'd have hangers full of em and an Air Cav museum.

Sweet! If I scrounge up spares, I'll let you know. We can certainly both benefit from this!

The pic I posted above confirmed two things, first, that she was an M21 ship and not a Frog. Second, that it wore Falcons nose art. Now I need to contact Mr. Hodge (the guy in the pic) and see if he's got any additional pics of 077!

Jon

Salvage Sailor

Personally, I'd rather see this bird in SEAWOLVES regalia

I know this isn't what you meant, but this IS 077 in HAL-3 regalia.
Ray

Cobrahistorian

I hear ya. I think I've decided to go with the 155th scheme because a full half of her four plus years in Vietnam was with the Falcons. When I put together the display to go along with her, ALL units she flew with will be represented!

Jon

memphismeister
I hear ya. I think I've decided to go with the 155th scheme because a full half of her four plus years in Vietnam was with the Falcons. When I put together the display to go along with her, ALL units she flew with will be represented!

Jon

Now I understand why you mentioned this bird last night. Wow!!!!!!!!!!. Droolssssssss

memphismeister
Day one when it arrived. Gotta love the vine up the mast head.

hey Snake, Is this one in our section of the world? If so I would love to help

Only if I wasn't at Ft. Hood preparing for a deployment. When I get back to NC and you are still in need of some "stuff" for it, my guard unit has a TON of huey stuff they need to get rid of. They haven't had hueys for 5 years or so, but all the PLL and benchstock is still there. Perhaps we might be able to work something out (me being my unit, not me personally. I don't think I want to open that can of sending things that don't belong to me).

I would love to find a project like that. I've worked on OH-58s, UH-60s, CH-47s, AH-64s (A and Ds) and now the new UH-72, but never a UH-1. With the history behind them, they just demand respect!

Mike

I worked at Bell from 1978-1989 and got to see a lot of Bells up close and personal while the test pilots wrung out each one that came off the assembly line. Even by then it was rare to see a old UH-1 with a 540 rotor. On occasion, Bell would work on a new design change and have to borrow an older model for the installation and testing. Since Bell did not have any coming off the assembly line or in their inventory, they had to "rent" one for the certification of the new design. The Army would always send a chopper that was in the worst need to overhaul. They knew that Bell would perform all heavy maintenance and upgrades and such in order to get the chopper ready for the test program. After all, how can you show the new design passes flight test when the pre-modified helo isn't flying to specification?

I was involved in various tests of the later UH-1's, such as the first UH-1H with composite rotor blades. My job as an engineer was to collect the flight test data and edit it and analyze it. Other programs that I worked on were the Marine AH-1W and the first armed version of the OH-58D for use in the Persian Gulf.

BTW, the 540 Rotor was a Kaman design. Bell always wondered how their design got selected for their helo's. The data available to Bell showed that Kaman did very little testing---not nearly as extensive as required by the Original Equipment Manufacturer.

Steve

snake36bravo
hey Snake, Is this one in our section of the world? If so I would love to help

3 hours south of us and waiting to move into a hanger for serious tear down.

memphismeister
3 hours south of us and waiting to move into a hanger for serious tear down.

Reporting for duty when ordered salute.gif

Cobrahistorian

Should know something this week, guys. I've got two storage possibilities for her. Don't know when I'd be able to go get her just yet, but things may happen pretty quickly!

Jon

Cobrahistorian

Hey all,

Well, I spoke to the facility commander. There's good news and bad news. The good news is, he didn't say no. The bad news is, apparently, they want to put it up on a pole at Latrobe airport. He said he will see what he can do. I'm going to put together a proposal for him about it. Looks like it will go to the National Guard Memorial Museum if I do get it. That'll be the only legit way I can trump any other plans for it.

Jon

Rats! I was sure hoping you would get it for yourself. But I guess if it has to go to the museum, at least it will have a good home! ...Kat

• 1 year later...
Cobrahistorian
Jon, so what happened to this bird?? I'm curious to hear what the outcome was...

-Derek

Derek,

It is still sitting on our ramp and most likely will be for the next decade or so. Apparently it is supposed to become a gate guard at Latrobe Airport, but it isn't being moved on at all. I spoke to the powers that be, so they are aware that I'm interested in it. We'll see. I haven't given up hope yet.

Jon

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the update, no matter how disappointing it is to hear. Wow, for another 10 years or so!? I sure hope the "powers that be" don't decide to stuff her and stick her on a pole at that point. That's not a good way to display a valuable aircraft as you know. :thumbdown:

Is still still outside in the open with the broken windows and all? Please post some more photos of her when you can.

-Derek

Cobrahistorian

Derek,

I'll be up there on Thursday night, so I'll see if I can get over and take some pics of her either Thursday or Friday.

Jon

ww2reproductions

Just put it on the back of a trailer and cover it with a tarp and drive out of the area...do some fake paperwork.

If some one asks where it went just say it was destroyed in a storm and scrapped .....or so I heard:w00t:

Leo

kjones5452
Just put it on the back of a trailer and cover it with a tarp and drive out of the area...do some fake paperwork.

If some one asks where it went just say it was destroyed in a storm and scrapped .....or so I heard:w00t:

Leo

Hell yea,always better to ask for forgiveness,than to pray for permission.