UH-1M 66-15077 My long-term project

Cobrahistorian

Cobrahistorian

Hey guys,

I've spoken to a few of you about the UH-1M I'm working on aquiring. She's currently sittin on my unit's tarmac and they've wanted to get rid of her for a while now. She's got one hell of a combat history, having served with both Army and Navy units in Vietnam from 1968-73.

post-96964-0-38405800-1516734299_thumb.jpg

post-96964-0-13984000-1516734304_thumb.jpg

post-96964-0-37199200-1516734309.jpg

Hey guys,

I've spoken to a few of you about the UH-1M I'm working on aquiring. She's currently sittin on my unit's tarmac and they've wanted to get rid of her for a while now. She's got one hell of a combat history, having served with both Army and Navy units in Vietnam from 1968-73.

Jon

Is that paint job original? Or is it your handy work?

She is a beauty. There was one in the museum up in Anchorage, about the same era.

She needs work obviously, but is the structure airworthy? Got the x-rays yet?

Wish I was closer, I'd love to give you a hand. Had the pleasure of doing an air assault demo with the Sky Soldier a few years ago, nothing rides like a Huey, even an AB205 feels different.

Timo

I hope that you can get it!

As someone who has a little experience, I can tell you aircraft are a massive project.

When it's finished you'll want to give it the nick name "The money pit" w00t.gif

In all seriousness though, good luck. thumbsup.gif

Cobrahistorian
Jon

Is that paint job original? Or is it your handy work?

Nah, paint and tail number are completely bogus. No UH-1M that I'm aware of ever wore that high-viz scheme. I need to get underneath her to see if there are bullet patches that match the combat damage reports I've got on her. She flew in combat with the 134th, 155th, 187th AHCs and her last year in-country was spent with HA(L)-3. She came straight to the National Guard after that and flew with E Troop 124th Cav, TX ARNG.

My bet is, she's not airworthy. My goal, however, is to make her a good static display bird that can do some limited traveling as a living history exhibit.

Jon

Holy Cow, you have some work ahead of you. Our Combat Air Museum has had a B model for almost 20 years and finally got it rolled out for display. If it makes you feel good, I think I have a left side artificial horizon on my locker at work.

As a former maintenance officer (vehicle, not aircraft), it is my professional estimate that you seem to have a few items missing. This looks like hours of fun!

Cobrahistorian
As a former maintenance officer (vehicle, not aircraft), it is my professional estimate that you seem to have a few items missing. This looks like hours of fun!

Naaaaah, she's all there! What's missing? ;)

I just took a walk out and did a cursory walkaround. She's rough. Lots of surface corrosion. Tail rotor is corroded to hell, lots missing, windows broken and no instrumentation.

However, the good news is, she has a transmission.

This is gonna be a doozie, but I think I may be able to pull together enough crap to get her at least looking normal again!

Jon

How are you able to purchase this piece of fine gov't equipment? Doesn't have to go to auction or something? It looks like a great project. Your unit doesn't have a P51 hidden under a tarp somewhere does it?

Cobrahistorian
How are you able to purchase this piece of fine gov't equipment? Doesn't have to go to auction or something? It looks like a great project. Your unit doesn't have a P51 hidden under a tarp somewhere does it?

Don't I wish!

Actually, the airframe was pulled from some farmer's field. He'd apparently had it for a number of years.

Not certain if I'm actually going to get it, but since there's been talk of scrapping it, I'm hopeful that I can put it on a trailer and get it the hell out!

Cobrahistorian
.... some of us just collect patches and uniforms! Good luck!

Probably going to need 3 more chickenplates, one more set of Nomex and four APH-5 helmets too... Not to mention the two dummy M60s...

Oy vey...

This is amazing! I am just starting out collecting. Is this the type of thing I will be looking for in a few years? I better start saving my money now! :lol: And buy a bigger house too! Good luck and let us know if you get it! I sure hope you get it rather than it going for scrap metal ...Kat

Cobrahistorian
That girl definitely needs some work but she still looks good. How close are you to officially acquiring it for the museum?

Museum?? That'd mean I'd have to put it in National Guard colors, rather than the colors it flew in combat with. :D

Thats way cool Jon.Good luck in getting it.Maybe you could get a VFW to adopt you and your project.Have a home for it to sit.I have wanted to get one for years to have displayed here in town but Im sure it wouldnt fit in with our towns views of monuments.

Me,I would much rather have the Huey in the backyard than a bird bath!!!

RD

Cobrahistorian
We have a main rotar blade, a tail rotar plade and a "Jesus" nut for one.

BKW

Brian,

Any idea if it is for the 540 rotor system (UH-1C,E,K,L,M) or for the more common UH-1D/H rotor system? BIIIIIG difference in blade chord and length. The 540 blades are shorter and a lot wider than the standard H model blades that are much more common. If you've got 540 blades, we need to talk!

Jon

Brian Keith

I just know it is long and heavy!

I belongs to the museum I'm associated with and won't be going any where. It was found in a scrap yard in Michigan.

BKW

Cobrahistorian
I just know it is long and heavy!

I belongs to the museum I'm associated with and won't be going any where. It was found in a scrap yard in Michigan.

BKW

Sounds good. 540 blades were 27" wide, H models I believe were only 19" wide. Lemme know!

Jon

Sounds good. 540 blades were 27" wide, H models I believe were only 19" wide. Lemme know!

Jon

Jon,

H blades are 21 inches wide. Not that it matters that much.

Ray

Cobrahistorian
Jon,

H blades are 21 inches wide. Not that it matters that much.

Ray

Thanks for keepin me honest Ray! I had a feeling that 19" was wrong, but it was just sticking in my head....

Cobrahistorian

After a little searching online, I found a photo of 077 in her younger days, but for some reason, I cannot post the photo on here. Anyone know what's going on?

After a little searching online, I found a photo of 077 in her younger days, but for some reason, I cannot post the photo on here. Anyone know what's going on?

Jon,

You trying to post the HAL-3 shot or another one?

Ray

Cobrahistorian
Jon,

You trying to post the HAL-3 shot or another one?

Ray

Nope, 155th AHC. Figured out the issue, it wasn't a .jpg file!

hodgeand66-15077.jpg