Pilot Wing ID

Lt. Walker

Hi:  My cousin said he found these wings among my Uncle’s stuff.  My Uncle graduated flight school in mid-1941and served as a bomber pilot during the War. My question is, could these have been the actual wings he wore?  They don’t look like the fancy solid silver wings I see when I Google the topic;  they appear stamped and there are no hallmarks, or any marks. 

Thanks!

IMG_9950.jpeg

IMG_1365.jpeg

Yes, nice example of unmarked WWII wings.  Unless someone added it later.  I have seen a son add a wing to a group of his dad's WWII group around the 1970's.  And he could no longer remember which was his dad's.  So, I had two WWII wings in a group of which one was added and was not his dad's.  So, though the son meant well by adding to the display; he 'contaminated' it by not remembering which was which.  The son just added some random extra set of wings he came across way later in life. And I wanted a pure group of relics that his dad touched and wore as I knew the story.

So was it worn by your relative? no way to say for certain.  But WWII, yes, and in this case your relative probably wore them. Neat item to have in the family.

Lt. Walker

Thank you.  I was informed today by a reliable source that these wings are most likely pre WWII and may have been made in the 1930s.   That makes sense to me.  

They look like a fairly common pattern but Im not a wing expert. I have acquired many wings over the years. In one grouping purchased from the son of a CBI pilot there are half dozen wings both full size and short size. Some are AMICO marked and other plain I recall. You will hear the term "graduation wing" often associated with unmarked wings and this refers to the wing a pilot was given at graduation from flight school and more of a generic patten wing. Search the forum for the graduation wing and there also is a very large topic on wings in a subsection of the forum. Im sure one of the wing guys will be adding some info here as well as to pattern or possible maker

Lt. Walker

Thanks very much for that; your observations mesh with what I was told.  First, they’re of a common type and second, that they might be “graduation wings” as you mention.  I’ll definitely take your advice and search the forum.  I popped in here to check out a single pair of old stamped wings and have been fascinated by what I’m learning .  I just hope —really hope—that I’m not becoming too fascinated.  Will I really need to own 100 pairs of wings because of this one foray?  Maybe.  What I definitely don’t need is my wife asking me why I need to own [100 pairs of wings] and why I can’t just look at photos and visit museums.   It’s always the same question, she just fills in the blank.