US M-5 helmet in action ?

WorldWarHelmets

WorldWarHelmets

Hi,

Do you have some pictures of the anti-flak US M-5 helmet in action ?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Do you have some pictures of the anti-flak US M-5 helmet in action ?

Thanks in advance.

That would seem to be a rare find: when conditions call for a flak helmet, who's taking pictures? :)

I went through the LIFE Magazine archives at Google and the only photo even showing flyers with steel pots was this one of a B-24 crew in 1944:

m5a.jpg

WorldWarHelmets

Thanks for your answer...

I found a long time ago some pictures about the M-5 helmet, but impossible to find them on my hardrive.

US_M5_preview.jpg

++

Ken_Carroll

post-5957-1238369647.jpgpost-5957-1238369670.jpg

Thanks for your answer...

I found a long time ago some pictures about the M-5 helmet, but impossible to find them on my hardrive.

US_M5_preview.jpg

++

Not an M-5, but here is a Yellow Star.

• 11 years later...
General Apathy
On 3/30/2009 at 1:34 AM, Ken_Carroll said:

post-5957-1238369647.jpgpost-5957-1238369670.jpg

Not an M-5, but here is a Yellow Star.

Hi Ken,  and here's another one . . . . .. 

Back in the late 90's I found ten brand new unissued helmets in a wooden shipping crate in a surplus dealer in Chicago, I brought two home to the UK kept one and gave the other to a best friend.

Moving forward to 2018 and the first of several auctions of my collection, here's a shot of the helmet and what it finished at, however there were also buyers premiums to pay on top, plus taxes plus shipping. 

Several months after the auction two used examples were offered to the auction house recovered from a farmhouse which was situated on the boundary of a wartime American airfield. 

lewis

.fullsizeoutput_8bee.jpeg.5264654288304ccccaf145efac875da8.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
General Apathy
On 2/2/2021 at 3:02 PM, General Apathy said:

Hi Ken,  and here's another one . . . . .. 

Back in the late 90's I found ten brand new unissued helmets in a wooden shipping crate in a surplus dealer in Chicago, I brought two home to the UK kept one and gave the other to a best friend.

Moving forward to 2018 and the first of several auctions of my collection, here's a shot of the helmet and what it finished at, however there were also buyers premiums to pay on top, plus taxes plus shipping. 

Several months after the auction two used examples were offered to the auction house recovered from a farmhouse which was situated on the boundary of a wartime American airfield. 

lewis

.fullsizeoutput_8bee.jpeg.5264654288304ccccaf145efac875da8.jpeg

I just found the image of the two helmets recovered from a French farmhouse  . . . . . . . . 

.fullsizeoutput_90c0.jpeg.1d91e3b131e4015b5e2ca76054fe0bf4.jpeg

regards lewis .