WWII DSC Ribbon Bar

Austin_Militaria

Austin_Militaria

Picked this up last week in Dallas. The person I got it from said she has his name written on something around her house and my have some other things. We will see. Not sure what the bottom left or bottom center ribbons are.

post-2578-1238295029.jpg

Not sure what the bottom left or bottom center ribbons are.

I'd imagine the one on the left is a state service award with five mobilizations or something. The ribbon looks like one of those designs that states or local organizations use.

Austin_Militaria

I got a small package in the mail today with the rest of the items that she had. She still cannot find his name anywhere, it was a friend of her fathers. She said that she has had these items for 40 plus years. Any help to who this Two Star General might be?

post-2578-1238637960.jpg

I got a small package in the mail today with the rest of the items that she had. She still cannot find his name anywhere, it was a friend of her fathers. She said that she has had these items for 40 plus years. Any help to who this Two Star General might be?

If this guy was with the 30th Infantry Division as the SSI may indicate, you have a very good chance identification, particularly if he held general officer's rank at that time.

If this guy was with the 30th Infantry Division as the SSI may indicate, you have a very good chance identification, particularly if he held general officer's rank at that time.

Well, I narrowed this down a little; as the 30th ID was a NG unit from the Carolinas and Tennesse, I identified the unknown ribbons as Tennessee NG service awards: http://www.usamilitarymedals.com/tennessee...064cdb70ae6062c (on the bottom and third from the bottom).

I also perused the DSC recipients for that divsion, assuming that your guy likely wouldn't have been a major general without WWI service. I found this guy, LTC Robert Frankland, who had served 20 years in the 117th Infantry (a Tennesse-based component of the 30th) which may explain the five stars on the Tennessee National Guard Service Ribbon that you have. Moreover, Frankland retired as a major general.

More on Frankland: http://www.oldhickory30th.com/FranklinRobert117th1st.htm Note that his daughter mentioned that he had two Bronze Stars and two Silver Stars, although she admittedly wasn't familiar with them all.

What is the likelihood of someone with a DSC, two SS, at least two BSM, all those many years in the TN NG, and who became a two-star? I bet it's probably him!