B-58 "Greased Lightning" cockpit

NebrPatch

A couple of weeks ago, members of the Strategic Air and Space Museum in Nebraska were allowed to look in the cockpit of the B-58 Hustler "Greased Lightning". This is the plane of the 43rd Bomb Squadron that completed the Tokyo to London flight (8,028 mi.) in 8 hrs 35min. Here is a shot of the pilot's cockpit.

Tom

post-5886-1238289750.jpg

Strategic Air and Space Museum in Nebraska...

I love that museum: that and the safari park across the freeway alone justify a visit to the Omaha area.

Cool photo. Living in Omaha, I've been there a couple times. If anyone is every travelling across country on I-80 it's worth a 2 to 4 hour stop.

Right now, while you can walk among the planes, you can't really see much inside of them. This is a rare treat indeed.

Most of the cockpit layout makes sense, but I am curious what that big red handled lever would be learning towards to forward instrument panel. Also, from the photo, that seat does not look to be all that substantial or comfortable.

It was an awesome aircraft... without any doubt.

Here are 2 more photos. The first shows the plane w/the first 2 cockpits open, they're usually closed. The second shows more of the seat. I would not want to sit on it for 8 hours!

Tom

post-5886-1238330069.jpg

post-5886-1238330173.jpg

Here are 2 more photos. The first shows the plane w/the first 2 cockpits open, they're usually closed. The second shows more of the seat. I would not want to sit on it for 8 hours!

Tom

Close-up of the panel on the left side.

Tom

post-5886-1238330334.jpg