Prairie belt

svt40

This is a belt that I got from my grandmother after my grandfather passed in 1978. I had always assumed it was just a regular ammo belt used for hunting until the late 80's at a Western shooting show someone had one very similar. We got to talking and since I lived very close by I brought it over. He offered to buy it on the spot. So my curiosity was piqued.

From what I have been able to find out it is either a Mills M1876 or a Mills M1885 prairie belt for the 45-70. All the loops are woven and I can find absolutely no markings at all on it. It has 30/06 shells in it atm but they fall right out if the belt is turned over.

Any information I can get will be appreciated especially as far as what it's nomenclature is and current valueof an item like this.

DSC00290.jpg

Front of buckle

DSC00291.jpg

Back of buckle and strap

DSC00292.jpg

Back of the belt showing grommets. Whats the purpose of these grommets?

DSC00294.jpg

Last shot showing the loops are woven as one piece with the belt.

DSC00295.jpg

El Bibliotecario

I'm certainly no expert on vintage Mills gear. Having said that, I consulted Randy Steffan's THE HORSE SOLDIER (v3); he identifies it as an M1885 belt. R. Stephen Dorsey's AMERICAN MILITARY BELTS AND RELATED EQUIPMENTS identifys it as an M1886 belt. Looking at the photos in the latter work, the buckle on your belt conforms to the later belt rather than the M1876 pattern buckle.

Whatever the case, it's surely a desirable piece, particularly in that condition. Good that you saved it from oblivion as a hunter's belt.

Hopefull someone knowing more than me, such as a webbing/leather expert like Arturo will add their comments.

Hi. I think it is a Mills m1881 belt which was originally designed to be used with a sand-cast "H" plate. The sand-cast "H" plate proved to be brittle and would not stand up to use. The m1881 belts were then modified by sewing on the leather billet and tongue. I believe that could be what this belt is. The loop size should take a .45-70 cartridge. Not all the m1881 belts were modified and some ended up with the stamped brass "H" plate, m1887, later on. Here are photos of my m1881 belt that did not get modified and ended up with the m1887 stamped brass "H" plate. Hope this helps.

m1881a.jpg

m1881b.jpg

m1881c.jpg

Very good info and thanks for the great pictures. I can see that that is exactly what my belt was prior to modification. What is the value on an item like this in both modified and original configuration?

Very good info and thanks for the great pictures. I can see that that is exactly what my belt was prior to modification. What is the value on an item like this in both modified and original configuration?

I don't think there are that many out there to establish a market price and probably some of them that do change hands do so unidentified. I would guess, however, they would be in the same price range as other early Mills woven belts; $150-$350 range, dependling on condition and the presence of an "H" plate versus a "C" closure. The one I showed you here I would value around $300 give or take $50 because there is no way of knowing when the belt plate was put on it...it could have been in the 1880's or the 1980's. If it had the original sand-cast plate then probably twice that amount. Yours, with the modification, is more apt to be correct and original and it has not been messed with by trimming the tongue or punching extra holes in it. I would expect yours, to a collector wanting an example, should bring the top of that range, $350, or more. This is just my opinion and I am not active enough with belts to be exact so accept my input as a reference and not fact. Your belt MAY be worth more than what I said and I would not part with it until I had several inputs as to value...just to be sure. A trouble we have placing value on things is that the dealers and book writers who know the market USUALLY will not answer questions as to value, mainly I think because of the time involved to do so. Good luck with it and I will watch this thread for other inputs. Regards.

Thanks Keith, I know what you mean by not being active in the market. My mindest is still stuck in the 80's when it comes to militaria prices! I'd never part with the belt since it was my grandfathers. He was sort of a militaria collector himself.