U.S. Army knit clothing from 1911 to 1918

world war I nerd

world war I nerd

The Doughboys who survived their first months of combat learned the importance of always having fresh, dry socks. They became opportunists and took advantage of any opportunity to acquire this scarce garment. A corporal with the 4th Marine Brigade in the 2nd Division had no compunction about how he obtained new socks as well as other necessities,

“On a salvage detail I found an officer’s blanket roll with a note attached to not bother it. With the chances that he might be killed or wounded, I took it, keeping one new blanket, some new wool socks and some other articles that I needed.”

While searching for souvenirs the same Marine rifleman was rewarded with the sought after souvenirs as well as some other more practical items,

“Two dead Germans were lying along side the trench. One of them had on a Iron Cross bar and the other one had some other kind of a bar on his coat. Since they had no more use for them, I took them off and put them in my pocket. Each one of their packs contained new socks, a sweater and new underwear for winter. The socks and sweater being useful articles, I put the socks in my pack and slipped the sweater on under my blouse.”

Eventually the needy soldiers, not knowing when or if they would ever receive replacement clothing were forced to loot the dead of both sides that littered the battlefield and searched them for replacement clothing, including shoes and stockings. In a recently occupied position during the campaign for the Argonne Forest an artillery man with the 82nd Division, clearing dead bodies away from his battery’s new location, explained how he was able to replace his worn out stockings,

“There were 5 bodies to be moved. One was so badly torn we shoveled him into some blankets to carry him. He was from Illinois. We read some of his letters that he had in his pack. He also had a pair of clean woolen socks in his pack which I took and left a holey pair in their place.”

Another miserable Doughboy chasing the Germans back to the “Fatherland” recorded how he managed the chilly, wet weather, cooties and the poor re-supply of army clothing,

“Other soldiers and myself build a puny little fire from the scraps of dry wood we could find among nearby ruined buildings, we are trying to dry some of our clothes at the same time warm our bodies a little. We sit around the fire naked as new babies. We are on a cootie safari, the toll is large and the expressions of satisfaction as the kills are made are not fit to print. I look at my underwear which is one mass of cooties, their eggs, dirt and caked sweat. I toss the whole mess into the fire. From now on, until the middle of November I wear no underwear. I can’t throw away my socks, they are all I have. I badly need new shoes, the hobnails and parts of the soles are gone. Into my shoes I stuff some cardboard. It does not help much after it gets wet, so I give up the idea…

My soggy shoes and socks were full of holes, and my underwearless body was begging for relief. As I walked among the German dead I began to appraise them for size. I took one shoe off the foot of a dead German boy who less than one hour before had been full of life and hope. I had a perfect fit and as I was lacing up my new shoes I tried not to think how I got them. From the blond Germans knapsack I found a new pair of woolen socks. They had not yet been worn. They felt so soft and comfortable. I explored further and found heavy woolen underwear, a new pair, union suit as we called them. I disrobed right then and there and put on this grand new garment. For the first time since we came out of the Hindenburg line battle I felt warm and the chill left my feet.”

When the first U.S. made field shoes arrived in France during the winter of 1917, it was hoped that many of the A.E.F. foot problems would be solved. However this was not to be, although the new field shoe was superior to the old 1912 and 1917 Marching Shoes, it was not fully waterproof and failed to provide adequate protection from the wet conditions present in the trenches. It was also found that the iron hobnails on the soles and the steel plates hammered into the heels conducted the cold from the frozen ground directly to the Doughboy’s already aching feet.

In 1918 the Doughboys received an improved field shoe known as the “Pershing” Shoe, which corrected the earlier boots deficiencies. The new shoe was considered “absolutely waterproof” and incorporated a thicker, triple sole which was sewn, screwed, and nailed to prevent leaks and to stop the cold from reaching the soldier’s foot. These improvements did increase the shoes effectiveness but they also created a new problem. The thicker soles on the new shoe made it more rigid and a soldier standing in a cold trench for hours on end had difficulty bending his foot, thus reducing the blood circulation, again causing cold feet. The unlined field shoes provided no insulation and were made with a wider last, higher instep and more toe room so the soldiers took to wearing two pairs of heavy wool socks and the unintended consequences of the new field shoe doubled the need for wool stockings in the A.E.F.

Because of this, by the middle of 1918 the A.E.F. was so desperate for socks that it turned to the American Red Cross for assistance. The American Red Cross responded by sending hundreds of thousands of wool socks to the needy troops serving overseas and also appealed to its volunteers,

“Don’t make sweaters… every pound of yarn that can be secured should be used for knitting socks.”

To help increase their output some chapters operated knitting machines that produced long knitted tubes. The tubes were then cut into twenty seven inch lengths and less experienced knitters, who had difficulty turning the heel and forming a smooth seamless heel, began making heel-less tube socks. These new tube socks quickly won approval from the Doughboys because they were found to be more comfortable than many of the home knit socks which were made with lumpy, poorly formed heels, a major cause of blisters to countless Doughboys. In fact army studies later determined that the main causes of sore feet and blisters during the war was from improper fitting shoes, followed by, “Sister Susie’s badly knitted socks”. The A.E.F. had also determined that repaired socks were a major cause of blisters, causing it to generate a general order stating that soldiers were not to wear darned socks, unless two pairs were worn at the same time, with the darned socks being worn on the outside.

Photo no. 61: This truck full of lightly wounded Marines all seem to be quite cheerful as they come out of the lines. The different uniforms worn by the men illustrate the difference between the army service dress and the U.S.M.C. field uniform. Once the Marines began to receive replacement clothing from the army in early 1918, their companies took on a mottled appearance with the men wearing a combination of army khaki and Marine forest green clothing. The soldier seated on the left is wearing the 1912 Winter Field Uniform, identified by its pleated breast pockets, and pointed sleeve cuffs, as well as the straight legged trousers which fitted tighter through the seat and thighs. The marine on the right is wearing the U.S. Army service coat and breeches both in khaki drab wool which are easily recognized by the tapered shoulder straps and the laces on the legs of the breeches. One of the Marines has removed his spiral wrap puttee exposing the top of the regulation gray wool stocking.

post-5143-1238227052.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo no. 62: Two soldiers from a labor or stevedore battalion pass the time over a friendly game of checkers. Note the casual and rumpled appearance of their clothing. The soldier at the left has removed his puttees or leggings revealing the tops of a pair of light gray socks. Also of interest is the large wrist watch, and the men in the background, one is dressed as a butcher, baker or cook and the other is wearing blue denim fatigue trousers with a wool service coat, suggesting that he is a member of a stevedore or labor battalion.

post-5143-1238227104.jpg

craig_pickrall

Thank you for posting this. Excellent presentation very well done.

Is this part of your and Frankie's book?

world war I nerd

Thanks everybody,

No it's not really part of what Frankie and I are working on although everything pre 1916 is relevant and will probably be used one way or another on our little project.

This was something that I had on the computer for a while and since I sort of recently figured out how to post photos properly, I thought I'd see if I could do a lengthy post without making too much of a mess out of it.

I have to confess that my motives for posting long boring pieces like this is to try and gain additional information or to see who disputes my assumptions.

But I encourage others to post any photos of similar WW I era, issued, Red Cross or home knit items to add to what I have started.

New Romantic

Outstanding job Brian thumbsup.gif

I remember that you mentioned WWI knit items happens to be passion of yours. It's nice to see the subject covered in detail.

I looked through my photograph collection for doughboys wearing knit items but only found a few images showing the sweater vests. Other than the engineers photo you posted here, nothing extraordinary.

world war I nerd

I was cleaning up the mess on my computer from this posting and realized that I had neglected to post one photo.

Sorry for adding even more to the already tedious nature of this post!

The image should follow photo no. 46.

Photo no. 46a: This detail taken from photo no. 46, of the homeward bound Doughboys clearly shows the late war wool gloves. Note that the shape at the end of the fingers is more pointed than the early seamless gloves.

post-5143-1238321783.jpg

I was cleaning up the mess on my computer from this posting and realized that I had neglected to post one photo.

Sorry for adding even more to the already tedious nature of this post!

The image should follow photo no. 46.

Photo no. 46a: This detail taken from photo no. 46, of the homeward bound Doughboys clearly shows the late war wool gloves. Note that the shape at the end of the fingers is more pointed than the early seamless gloves.

Tedious? HAH!! I think that I have gone through this post alone about 5 or 6 times and have found new information each time. Thanks again for these posts!

world war I nerd

Thanks trench raider,

Nice to see that somebody out there has some WW I knit goods.

Did you aquire the items seperately or did they come with anything else?

Also, are there any tags etc present?

Its interesting that your items show the variety of colors (O.D., mustard, gray, etc.) that the home knit items were made from.

Thanks again for sharing.

TrenchRaider1918
Did you aquire the items seperately or did they come with anything else?

Also, are there any tags etc present?

I pieced these items separately on their own.

I don't believe they have any tags on them, I'd get them out but they are packed in my long roll. Here is a sweater I am thinking of getting, maybe this is WWI era?

post-879-1238464522.jpg

post-879-1238464516.jpg

world war I nerd

Sometimes its very hard to tell the difference between a home knit or Red Cross WW I and WW II sweater.

And this sweater happens to be one of those. I've not seen enough WW II sweaters to know if there was any major differenced between the WW I and WW II Red Cross labels.

If the price is right or if you don't mind finding out later that it is it from WW II it certainly looks OK for WW I. There's just something about the label that makes me think it is WW II. But there were so many variations in WW I labels, it could just as well be WW I.

Not much of an answer is it?

craig_pickrall

WWIN I am happy to hear you say that. When I first saw that label I immediately thought WW2 but I don't know beans about WW1 so I kept my mouth shut. Looks at this link for more info on home front made sweaters of WW2.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...&hl=sweater

world war I nerd

Just one last thing that makes me lean more towards WW II, is the fact that the Red Cross tag does not say "Not to be sold" or "A gift" which seems to have been on every WW I Red Cross label that I have seen and since I have not seen every WW I Red Cross label ever made this could just be an anomily.

So as we all know anything is possible...

New Romantic

I'm with WWI Nerd on the sweater vest in post #61. It looks WWII to me. The Red Cross label looks similar to ones I've seen in WWII Sewing Kits and personal effect kits.

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly thanks World War One Nerd for such a superb informative topic.

Just a couple of comments. The 13th Cav officers in the photo of post #7, could the officer on the extreme right (Lt Lininger 13th cav) be wearing the model 1904 turtleneck sweater?

The other photo shown in post #7 but discussed in post #8 reference the two tone non regulation sweater, that person is a Carranzista officer.

Below are a couple of photos, firstly regulation M1911 sweater and the label for reference. The second is a private purchase sweater from the footlocker of an officer, no label.

post-693-1239714609.jpg

world war I nerd

Thanks Dragoon,,

Very nice sweaters!!

Your 1911 Service sweater is only the third one I have ever seen and the first one with a contract label still attached, very nice indeed. Thank you for posting the photos.

Was there a date or a name or any unit markings on the trunk that the button front sweater came out of? I'm assuming it is from WW I, but it could be earlier?

I see no reason why it couldn't be a 1904 Turtle neck sweater, considering this is the first time I've heard of one. I've seen several photos of troops along the border and early aviators wearing a similar style of turtleneck and always thought that it was odd that so so many men were wearing the same type of private purchase sweater.

Could you post any additional information regarding the 1904 Sweater?

What makes you think that the soldier in the two tone sweater in post no 7 is a Carranzista?

To me he appears to be wearing 1911 O.D. Service Breeches, 1907 Leather Leggings and holding a Campaign Hat. But then again the details are not all that clear, maybe I missed somethiing?

Thanks Dragoon,,

Very nice sweaters!!

Your 1911 Service sweater is only the third one I have ever seen and the first one with a contract label still attached, very nice indeed. Thank you for posting the photos.

Was there a date or a name or any unit markings on the trunk that the button front sweater came out of? I'm assuming it is from WW I, but it could be earlier?

I see no reason why it couldn't be a 1904 Turtle neck sweater, considering this is the first time I've heard of one. I've seen several photos of troops along the border and early aviators wearing a similar style of turtleneck and always thought that it was odd that so so many men were wearing the same type of private purchase sweater.

Could you post any additional information regarding the 1904 Sweater?

What makes you think that the soldier in the two tone sweater in post no 7 is a Carranzista?

To me he appears to be wearing 1911 O.D. Service Breeches, 1907 Leather Leggings and holding a Campaign Hat. But then again the details are not all that clear, maybe I missed somethiing?

Thanks for the kind words.

To be perfectly honest with you I am not too familiar with the M1904 service sweater neither, it is something I have not found any further info on, I was hoping you might be able to shed more light on it, the only reference I have seen to them is an illustration in Vol 3 of "The Horse Soldier" by Randy Steffen, I know there are a few mistakes in the books as in most books but the idea of the sweater had to come from somewhere? I would love to hear if you come across any reference to such an item during your research. I will dig deeper.

With regards to the Mexican officer it is an area I have researched, I do not have his name at hand but he was commander of Carranzista troops at Palomas. I agree with the uniform items though, coincidently I recently read an article in the latest copy of the "Company of Military Historians" journal, it covered the illegal sale of Texas NG uniforms to Carranza troops. Just remembered the Mexican officer is also shown in another photo taken that day, it shows the US Cavalry officers lined up as the coffins of the dead pass, he is stood at the end of the line, all the officers have their personal weapons whereas he is not armed.

Reference the private purchase sweater, the trunk of items was split for sale, there were some nice items, from memory the officer died of the flu in 1918. Many of the clothes were unused. Somewhere I have the details.

• 3 weeks later...
world war I nerd

Trench Raider 1918,

Thats a very nice sweater!

Do you know anything about it?

It looks as if the tag's information has been completely washed out. Can you make out any information?

Interesting piece none the less.

Thanks for adding to the thread....Now I'm going to have to search, to find out if there is a 1904 Turtleneck Sweater.

Does anybody out there have any information?

world war I nerd

Here are some additional photos of the turtleneck sweater being worn in Mexico and along the border in 1916.

Photo no. 01: This is a larger version of a photograph shown in the post of three officers of the 13th Cavalry at the American camp, San Antonio Mexico, 1916. Lieutenant C. Lininger on the right, wearing a turtleneck sweater, was recommended for the Medal of Honor during the engagement against Mexicans and “Carranzistas” at Parral, Mexico. If he is wearing a 1904 type sweater it is made from a much lighter shade of olive drab wool which is almost khaki in color, when compared to the much darker 1911 Service Sweater worn by Major Thopmkins in the center.

post-5143-1241076132.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo no. 02: Two more soldiers wearing a similar turtleneck sweater. Again, both of the sweaters are much closer in color to khaki than olive drab. The right hand photo was taken in Mexico and the left hand photo was taken along the border in Texas.

post-5143-1241076180.jpg