M8 Flare Gun. The trigger guard was bent like that when I got it. From what I have read it is WWII period and was issued to certain air crew. It has locking lugs on the barrel to be able to lock it into a port on an aircraft. It is marked US Property and has a 6 diget serial number and a big 25 stamped on the back strap. The trigger guard was originally squared off from others I have seen. There is also one shell in it marked Signal Illuminator Aircraft, AN M37A2 Double Star. The shell is dated 1-69

DSCF0481.jpg

DSCF0482.jpg

DSCF0483.jpg

DSCF0484.jpg

Activly Selling All Items

All eras

VERY interested in M1 helmets, WWI victory medals, and I will do almost anything for real SOG gear or uniforms.

Email or PM with offers please.

Needing; Pin back CIB, two piece CIB, ANy odd CIB's, 41st Infantry Regiment DUI (old ones), 65th AFAB DUI

Please visit my website at DM1975.com

donation2007.gif

As a little addition to the subject, here is a nice M8 flare gun, holster and especially the hard to come by flares for the gun. I was fortunate to get all three, different, live flares for $5.00 apiece at the Max show a few years ago. BTW the three smaller, shotgun shell looking flares in the picture are for my M3 signal projector.

post-299-1168199506.jpg

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his country" George Pattons speech to the Third Army.

donation2008.gif

Were Flare Pistols ever issued to Ground Troops?

What do you need another one of those for.....you have 6 of them already ?.........

:blink:

my girlfriend to me on a regular basis as another piece of US WW2 "Green stuff" aka militaria arrives in the post..:-)

post-2-0-10415400-1477335312.jpg

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

Not ground troops but ground crews. The pistol was used from aircraft or from ground stations. Certain color flares can signal if there is wounded aboard or other types of emergencies on the aircraft and from the ground to signal incoming aircraft.

What about the smaller SKLAR made pistols? Did infantry units get equipped with any sort of flare pistols?

What do you need another one of those for.....you have 6 of them already ?.........

:blink:

my girlfriend to me on a regular basis as another piece of US WW2 "Green stuff" aka militaria arrives in the post..:-)

post-2-0-10415400-1477335312.jpg

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

Flare pistols are considered emergency distress signals more orientated towards aircraft and vessels and as far as my knowledge no infantry used flare pistols during WWII. In the infantry there is really no use for distress signals, they did use flares, but those have been adapted for use on rifles, mortars and artillery mainly for illumination purposes. Distress signals do burn bright but for only a few seconds to get attention.

What do you mean by SKLAR?

I am new to your forum, just purchased an M8 pyrotechnic signaling device. I have searched the web for manufacturers, patents, etc., but find no reference to the makers stamp on my particular M8. In the triange on the right sideplate is an M at the top with the following in a straight line directly below: S.W.C. Any help as to the manufacturer would be most appreciated. I thank you in advance.

I am new to your forum, just purchased an M8 pyrotechnic signaling device. I have searched the web for manufacturers, patents, etc., but find no reference to the makers stamp on my particular M8. In the triange on the right sideplate is an M at the top with the following in a straight line directly below: S.W.C. Any help as to the manufacturer would be most appreciated. I thank you in advance.

Hi Red:

Welcome to the Forum.

The triangle symbol has the letters MSWC. That stands for McInerny Spring and Wire Company which was located in Grand Rapids, Michigan. It was the manufacturer of your M8.

Hope that information is helpful to you.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Hi Red:

Welcome to the Forum.

The triangle symbol has the letters MSWC. That stands for McInerny Spring and Wire Company which was located in Grand Rapids, Michigan. It was the manufacturer of your M8.

Hope that information is helpful to you.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

Thank you Charlie!

Your information is most helpful. I am a former Michigander, so the Grand Rapids connection makes the M8 that much more appreciated. I picked up a holster (made in Canada) and some 60's GI flares, have yet to launch anything.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.