What era are these US Egg practice grenades?

easterneagle87

easterneagle87

Junk store find! Two blue, true weight practice EGG Grenades. The seller told me his dad/uncle? got them for him and his brother to throw at each other. Gotta love this! And man would that hurt!

Marked; RFX 55, N3 and S6

IMG_8822.jpg

IMG_8823.jpg

IMG_8824.jpg

easterneagle87

Here's the requested shot. Both of these are legit and one still has the remnants of the practice fuse rattling around on the inside. One fuse I can screw off, the other is not budging. 

IMG_8867.jpg

Kaptainssurplus
4 minutes ago, easterneagle87 said:

Here's the requested shot. Both of these are legit and one still has the remnants of the practice fuse rattling around on the inside. One fuse I can screw off, the other is not budging. 

IMG_8867.jpg

They do look legit now, but the Fuze well threads are for sure screwed now. Those are M228 or M213 Fuze bouchons on the body, they have a larger thread size than the original M205 series Fuze that were used on M30s. They should not be able to fit, so that mean that someone rethreaded them or screw the threads up to make those fit. 

easterneagle87

There are NO markings on the fuse that I can see. I wish there were. The one fuse I could un-screw, opened easily. I'm no metal smith or machinist, but it would seem an awful lot of work to "re-thread" these fuses.  They are what they are at this point. 

IMG_8869.jpg

Kaptainssurplus
Just now, easterneagle87 said:

There are NO markings on the fuse that I can see. I wish there were. The one fuse I could un-screw, opened easily. I'm no metal smith or machinist, but it would seem an awful lot of work to "re-thread" these fuses.  They are what they are at this point. 

IMG_8869.jpg

Those are 100% M228 or M213 fuzes, you can tell by the jungle clip retainer hook. They are a larger thread than the original M205 fuzes that are used on the M30. I can tell that the Fuze well threads are screwed up in the photo. If you look at my photo I posted on how to tell fales from real ones you will see it in the photo. 

easterneagle87

Good information. I see what you're saying about the fuse. Wasn't looking for perfection, just got a couple of cool objects. Although the fuses may not be correct, the bodies are original and will be great shelf sitters.