What am I?

Brian Keith

Brian Keith

post-1549-1238187251.jpg

post-1549-1238187267.jpg

post-1549-1238187278.jpg

I think it is for some type of training equipment, it is pretty big for an aircraft I think.

Any Ideas?

TIA

BKW

It looks like a circuit tester for a 12 station folding fin rocket pod or rocket rail set. My guess would be for a rail, that narrows it down to a Sandy or an F4U. Just a thought, Dave

Cobrahistorian
It looks like a circuit tester for a 12 station folding fin rocket pod or rocket rail set. My guess would be for a rail, that narrows it down to a Sandy or an F4U. Just a thought, Dave

It couldn't be for a rocket pod, since they've either got 19 rounds, 7 rounds or in the case of the Zuni, 4 rounds per pod. Rails might be possible, but I've never seen an aircraft with 24 rocket rails on it.

Interesting....

Brian Keith

I think this controll is for a machine gun. If you look at the left side, the dial has two settings, single and auto, my guess is that if you put it on single, it just fires one single round. if you put it on auto, it fires the number of rounds you have dialed in on the dial on the right. The light at the top tells you what setting you have the right side set on.

It is interesting that the power input is marked "Battery 24 volts", is that typical for on board aircraft equipment?

Thanks for your input guys! I have several of these and I would like to positively ID it.

BKW

Now that I think about it, I think they were used on Huey's! If one was to want to restore a Huey, you would have to have one of these, Right Cobrahistorian?

I think this controll is for a machine gun. If you look at the left side, the dial has two settings, single and auto, my guess is that if you put it on single, it just fires one single round. if you put it on auto, it fires the number of rounds you have dialed in on the dial on the right. The light at the top tells you what setting you have the right side set on.

It is interesting that the power input is marked "Battery 24 volts", is that typical for on board aircraft equipment?

Thanks for your input guys! I have several of these and I would like to positively ID it.

BKW

Now that I think about it, I think they were used on Huey's! If one was to want to restore a Huey, you would have to have one of these, Right Cobrahistorian?

The commercial aircraft I worked on were 28VDC and I can't remember that far back to recall what our military A3D's had in them. However, a 12 volt car battery will measure 14.2 Volts fully charged. So it could just be a labeling difference. In other words the modern day 28 volt aircraft battery is the rating at full charge for a nickel cadmium battery. The term 24 volts may apply to the size of a lead acid battery or two 12 volt lead acid batteries wired in series which is actually 28vdc full charge. I would say it is test equipment for checking the wing mounted machine guns and not an actual part of an aircraft. Regards,