Jump to content

XII Corps Officer Silver Star Capt. Ziglar


Recommended Posts


Lt Col Horace W. Ziglar

HQ Battery CO

XII Corps


Horace W. Ziglar was born on September 11, 1908 in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. After graduating from high school, Ziglar joined the military in the 1930s and was a member of the 5th Field Artillery at Fort Bragg, North Carolina. He continued to stay with the unit when they were reorganized into the 36th Field Artillery Regiment, in preparation for WWII. Prior to the 36th FA being shipped over to Europe, Ziglar opted to attend OCS at Fort Sill, starting on May 14th and graduating August 4th of 1942. 


He was sent overseas with the XII Corps as the commanding officer for the HQ Battery for the XII Corps. During the fighting in Europe, the XII Corps was composed of four infantry divisions, 5th, 76th, 89th, and 90th Infantry Divisions. And it also included two armored divisions, the 4th and 11th Armored Divisions. Ziglar remained the CO of HQ Battery throughout the war, carrying fire missions throughout France and into Germany. 


During late March, as Battery Commander, his job was to keep communication amongst six other installations, while in the outskirts of Frankfurt, Germany. During this time, Ziglar carried out actions, in which he was awarded the Silver Star Medal. On March 27-28th, the Corps artillery positions were being struck by heavy enemy fire, damaging the communication lines. This is when Ziglar accompanied his men to try and reestablish and repair communication lines. His citation reads:


“He personally reconnoitered the wire routes through streets and areas infested with snipers, and in which artillery and small arms fire was being received. He then personally accompanied his wire sections and assisted them in the most dangerous areas in order to encourage and support his men. The lines were repeatedly out and the Command Post was struck on three separate occasions by artillery fire. Numerous rounds struck near Captain Ziglar, some within 15 yards. In order to maintain this vital wire net, he worked continuously for 30 hours without rest, 18 hours of which were under constant artillery and small arms fire. By his indomitable courage and gallant leadership, he inspired supreme devotion in his men and successfully accomplished a highly dangerous mission.”


The city of Frankfurt was secured two days later on March 29th. Ziglar remained in the Army during the Occupation era and into the Korean War. Shortly after the Korean War, he retired as a Lieutenant Colonel in 1954. Horace Ziglar passed away on August 26, 1995 in Spring Lake, NC.






Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Create New...