A Class Tunic

REG

For my trip to Normandy this June, I've obtained a post war Dutch 'A Class Tunic'.

We are staying in Carentan and have been invited to a 1940s evening in the town.

Original tunics aren't out there in 44L.

What do I need to do to convert it to a WWII style?

Is it just the cuffs, waist pockets and the lapels?

There's no belt with it so I have to go for either a cloth belt or sam brown?

Does anyone have photos of the sam brown?

Can anyone recommend a supplier of uniform items states sides?

Many thanks

Johan

Many thanks.

It's all a bit expensive!

I'm keener to throw money at my Jeep - something that many re-enactors don't understand, and I understand their point of view as we all have different priorities.

I'll just join the 'chinos bigade'.

Hope to see you in Normandy??

All the best

Only Officers had belts on their Class A

EM did away with the belt in 1942

Hi Johan,

I have a Class A belonging to a Corporal in the Army.

He joined the USAAF mid 1941.

The jacket does not have a belt. Can you tell me if this Corporal would have worn one or not.

I would think he would, referring to the above quoted message you posted.

Thanks in advance

Tom

Corpsmancollector

Hi there,

Ive seen a fair share of Dutch tunics in my time and converted a few myself. Is it a similar material and color to the officers A-Class uniform?

If so, you'll need to change the buttons. Gold w/eagle for officers, basic OD foe enlisted (I think, not got any of my army uniforms anymore and dont have a reference to hand)

The cuffs, I'm not so sure about, what do they look like? Might help to post a picture of the jacket

You can convert these tunics fairly easily, they can look real good with a little TLC :)

Will

Hi there,

Ive seen a fair share of Dutch tunics in my time and converted a few myself. Is it a similar material and color to the officers A-Class uniform?

If so, you'll need to change the buttons. Gold w/eagle for officers, basic OD foe enlisted (I think, not got any of my army uniforms anymore and dont have a reference to hand)

The cuffs, I'm not so sure about, what do they look like? Might help to post a picture of the jacket

You can convert these tunics fairly easily, they can look real good with a little TLC :)

Will

Will

Did you just say OD buttons for Yank Enlisted? Sorry laddie, gold buttons for all. Just multipiece gold ones for officers and solid for enlisted. Even that is not written in stone.

As I remember the Dutch officers uniform was one heck of a lot like US pinks and greens, chcolatey brown jacket and khaki/pink trousers. The only difference is I think British Army style lancer's cuffs. It went on to be the model for the South African dress rig in the 1960s onward.

T-Bone

P3292246-crop.JPG

Sorry the cuffs and bottom pockets don't show particularly well.

The finish of the tunic is excellent inside - and, yes, it all needs a good press! :blush:

P3292249.JPG

And here are some trousers that I'm taking to Malvern next week to compare with SOF's 'Pinks'.

They have come out very light in this photo

P3292252.JPG

• 5 weeks later...

Nice tunic BUT...The officer's tunic was three gold and one plastic (hidden by the belt) button. Everything else looks pretty good, though. Think you've got a problem with a 44L. How about trying to find a 48L. No chance, Sundance. I'm having one made at Sutler's in the UK. (Yes...from what I've heard, after I ordered it, prayer would help.) If you run across a 48L tunic, give me a holler. I won't be holding my breath, however. crying.gif

Mudge the large w00t.gif