Odd M1912 holster

artu44

Months ago I bought this private purchase M1912 holster which isn't mounted nor dismounted but looped ( I imagine for a Sam Browne belt). Today watching at old pics I use download I've discovered it appeared in an old Sears&Roebuck catalog. I was hit from this catalog cause they was selling a potatoes digger MG at 865$, a lot of money at that time.

Well, you can find my holster offered together nice Mills stuff at 3.20$ (when a Mills swivel web holster reached 4.25 bucks)

In my mind I was positive this holster would be made in '20s-30s, but maybe someone, considering period prices and catalog appearance, can date it more precisely.

post-67-1238138916.jpg

post-67-1238138935.jpg

post-67-1238138961.jpg

post-67-1238138982.jpg

Charlie Flick

Hello Artu:

Nice find on the private purchase holster. I have one that is essentially identical, but has the US within the oval on the flap.

Sears Roebuck is a famous American retailer. It did not manufacture anything itself but sold goods made by others. Your holster was, of course, made by someone else and may indeed have been sold by Sears or by another retailer.

The Sears catalog you pictured is a reproduction of a period catalog. I think it dates to WW1 or before. I have one at home and will check to see if it is dated. I am not sure how long the Mills holsters were in production but my feeling is that production did not extend past the end of WW1, although sales of already manufactured goods could have continued on for some years, I suppose.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

Thanks Charlie, I had the idea that those big markings on the back would identify cheap post WWI commercials but obviously I was wrong cause holster is very well made indeed.

Charlie Flick
Thanks Charlie, I had the idea that those big markings on the back would identify cheap post WWI commercials but obviously I was wrong cause holster is very well made indeed.

Yes, Artu. Those holsters are indeed well made.

As promised I just checked my reproduction copy of that Sears Catalog. It has no date of publication. However, it references a March 28, 1918 order on certain restrictions for mailing items to US soldiers overseas. It also mentions "We ship to the soldiers in Europe or anywhere else." So, my belief is that it is a catalog published sometime after March, 1918 but before the War ended on November 11, 1918.

Hope that helps you.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

texasscotchman

Great find !! as an additional FYI the back of your holster appears to have the two loops for the leg strap which was common in holsters used by the Cavalry. My holster has a swivel and the usual brass hooks and the leg strap with the US in the oval on the flap. You have a great piece of scarce memorbilia.

Thanks for including the copys of the old Sears Catalog, brought back memories of the old Francis Bannerman catalog.

Great find !! as an additional FYI the back of your holster appears to have the two loops for the leg strap which was common in holsters used by the Cavalry. My holster has a swivel and the usual brass hooks and the leg strap with the US in the oval on the flap. You have a great piece of scarce memorbilia.

Thanks for including the copys of the old Sears Catalog, brought back memories of the old Francis Bannerman catalog.

I see you like these oltimers so here are my other M1912s: a private purchase, similar to this one but swiveled, a left hand and a regular RIA1913.

post-67-1238516654.jpg

I see you like these oltimers so here are my other M1912s: a private purchase, similar to this one but swiveled, a left hand and a regular RIA1913.

Very nice artu! thumbsup.gif I still need to get one of these awesome holsters.

-Matt.

neat! I guess these would be considered the pioneers/granddaddies of the modern drop leg holsters then? seeing as they've got leg straps, swivel web attachment, and looks to be rather low positioned if a belt was worn on hips... fascinating to see that there really isn't much innovation between the old leather holsters and the newer leg holsters, other than materials and modularity