Mills Officer Accouterment Set

New Romantic

New Romantic

I just saw this very nice Mills Officer's Garrison belt set on eBay and I am posting the photos here for future reference.

post-599-1238080329.jpg

I don't think that extension piece should be there between the belt slide and the holster. It is a Hospital/Medical Corps enlisted man's belt extension for attaching the canteen lower below the pockets. See the seperate thread on the medical equipment.

New Romantic
I don't think that extension piece should be there between the belt slide and the holster. It is a Hospital/Medical Corps enlisted man's belt extension for attaching the canteen lower below the pockets. See the seperate thread on the medical equipment.

You're right about the canteen hanger. It must have been added by a collector for some unknown reason.

You're right about the canteen hanger. It must have been added by a collector for some unknown reason.

Yes, we collectors can sometimes be a danger to ourselves.

Spathologist

Or, perhaps, it belonged to a big guy who needed the extra length to get the holster to wear properly.

Lord knows I've seen stranger things when it comes to drop holsters.

Its all wonderful stuff, don't get me wrong. But the combination is a little weird.

This is a garrison belt, and thus it is not really intended for wear with a holster. The hanger is intended for a bayonet, and is more properly worn on the enlisted version of this belt. The small extender is for hanging canteens on the M1910 Enlisted Medical belt.

I'm not saying the combination is impossible, but the holster and clip pouch would definitely be more at home on a M1911 equipment belt.

Again, superior holster, superior officer's garrison belt, superior magazine pouch, and very nice bayonet slide. But I believe the sum of the parts is aimed more at collectors...

Chris

New Romantic
Its all wonderful stuff, don't get me wrong. But the combination is a little weird.

This is a garrison belt, and thus it is not really intended for wear with a holster. The hanger is intended for a bayonet, and is more properly worn on the enlisted version of this belt. The small extender is for hanging canteens on the M1910 Enlisted Medical belt.

I'm not saying the combination is impossible, but the holster and clip pouch would definitely be more at home on a M1911 equipment belt.

Again, superior holster, superior officer's garrison belt, superior magazine pouch, and very nice bayonet slide. But I believe the sum of the parts is aimed more at collectors...

Chris

The combination is odd, but it all looks nice together ;) . My first thought when I saw the auction is that the set was privately purchased, especially indicated by the Mills holster. Of course a collector most likely put this together which is because of the pristine condition of the items. It must have taken a good while to track down each item in near un- used/ minty condition!

Who knows, but every item here is extremely desirable none the less. The holster alone would fetch over $600!

The combination is odd, but it all looks nice together ;) . My first thought when I saw the auction is that the set was privately purchased, especially indicated by the Mills holster. Of course a collector most likely put this together which is because of the pristine condition of the items. It must have taken a good while to track down each item in near un- used/ minty condition!

Who knows, but every item here is extremely desirable none the less. The holster alone would fetch over $600!

Frankie,

Agree completely! This is a very sweet set. Probably put together by a collector, but it sure is pretty!

Chris

I have a 1917 garrison belt with one of the bayonet hangers holding a .45 web holster that - from the dirt and age on it when I got it - had been like that for a very long time.

Mind you, it could have been done by kids playing army. I forget now who I got it from, but I am pretty sure it was someone that really just bought from pickers and went to military shows and sold it off. At the time it was not expensive at all.