Short M1910 shovel

robinb

I picked up this shortened "T" handle shovel years ago, but got no history with it. It's been "field shortened". That is to say that the workmanship isn't perfect. Not a factory job for sure. It still has some USMC forest green paint left on it.t1.JPG

And here's the reason that I suspect it to be USMC issued. This photo was taken on Guam. That shovel looks mighty short to me.

MVC_036S.JPG

Maybe it could be an airborne cutdown?

h505_76.jpg

That was my first reaction. AB troops needed a shortened shovel for practical and safety reasons during a jump. It makes you wonder why a Marine would need a shortened shovel? It seems that it would make it more difficult to dig a fox hole, so why would it be shortened by choice?

Were all shortened M-1910's field shortened, or were some factory modified?

Patriot

YankeeDiv26

Very nice! Short T-handles are few and far between! I know someone who got his when his driveway was being repaved. The guy doing it used it to mix cement!!!! My collector friend brought out every shovel from his garage and offered him to trade any one for the T-Handle. He got it in exchange for a garden shovel and cleaned it up nicely thumbsup.gif

-Tim

bbmilitaria

I have an example identical to the one pictured above. I've always considered mine airborne. Notice the shovel head and hand grips have also been cut down a bit compared to a normal T-handle. Nice find!!

• 13 years later...
Persian Gulf Command

Here is a comparison of a Marine Short M1910 vs. an ETO Airborne.  The PTO Marine is a darker "Jungle" Green. ETO is a lighter OD color.

I also have assumed that the Marine Shorty often had the blunter spade while the ETO Army had the more pointed spade shape. 

P6251077.JPG

P6251086.JPG

P6251078.JPG

P6251081.JPG