1918 Trench Knife

JackG

Hi all. Newbie to this site but have been collecting for the past  50 yrs. Seen alot come and go. What I have is a 1918 Trench knife  that was given to me by a co worker 40 plus years ago. He was a WW 2 combat vet assigned to a Combat Engineer Batt. He told me he had modified this knife in the field. He has long since passed and I can’t get further info from him. 

Just curious as to opinions.

Thanks

IMG_7706.jpeg

IMG_7707.jpeg

IMG_7711.jpeg

IMG_7710.jpeg

IMG_7709.jpeg

IMG_7714.jpeg

IMG_7712.jpeg

IMG_7713.jpeg

IMG_7708.jpeg

JackG- You MK1 trench knife appears to be an AU LION. The guard has been filed down to fit the M8 scabbard and ride closer to the soldier's side . This a common practice.  What fascinates me most of all is the statue screwed on to the tang. Here's why!  As a kid I remember my Dad telling me he saw a statue somewhere in France or Belgium during WW2 that was a child urinating. The story he told me was that the frantic father, a sculptor stated that how ever he found his son, and what he was doing,  he would make or have a statue made of the boy.  You can see what the boy was doing. My guess this was some type of souvenir from that village.  BIG guess!  SKIP

Just looked it up. The statue is in Brussels, made in 1618. It's called the "Manneken Pis". Found it right away on internet.  Why I remember that story my Dad told me at least 60 years ago has me baffled.

CGutierr

jackG,

Interesting piece!  Is the statue screwed on or welded on?  As combat engineer he probably would have had handy access to a welding torch.  Seems to me though that in a close combat situation the statue would be more of a hindrance than not, but I'm sure it was more of a decorative idea than a combat idea.

CG

Usmc2004

That’s pretty neat!  I bet it came off something similar to this.  

IMG_5848.jpeg.88e55273cfcc6c7cd62c939479a71475.jpeg

manayunkman

The statue stands down a narrow unassuming street off La Grand Place in Brussels, Belgium.

My avatar is Manneken Pis and has been for years.

When I was little we lived in Brussels and visiting the statue was a favorite for me but don’t blink because he is small.

On festivals he can be seen wearing a festive and appropriate costume.

Im not the only one who liked Manneken because thousands of WW2 vets brought home various size statues or had their pictures taken Mr Pis.

On 4/2/2024 at 6:32 PM, SKIPH said:

JackG- You MK1 trench knife appears to be an AU LION. The guard has been filed down to fit the M8 scabbard and ride closer to the soldier's side . This a common practice.  What fascinates me most of all is the statue screwed on to the tang. Here's why!  As a kid I remember my Dad telling me he saw a statue somewhere in France or Belgium during WW2 that was a child urinating. The story he told me was that the frantic father, a sculptor stated that how ever he found his son, and what he was doing,  he would make or have a statue made of the boy.  You can see what the boy was doing. My guess this was some type of souvenir from that village.  BIG guess!  SKIP

Just looked it up. The statue is in Brussels, made in 1618. It's called the "Manneken Pis". Found it right away on internet.  Why I remember that story my Dad told me at least 60 years ago has me baffled.

Thanks Skiph,

I remember him telling me years ago that he along with other guys secured these Manneken Pis fiqures somewhere in Belgium, he couldn’t  remember which town.  They affixed them to all sorts of things he told me. I would guess that there are other knives out there like this one,

ccyooper

It was popular in WWI too. My grandfather brought back this statue. 

IMG_4690.jpeg