Early U.S. Marine picture - oval framed

MWalsh

Just got this yesterday from a friend, it's the only Marine Corps one of these I have seen. The badges and medals he has on are not clear enough to be certain which ones they are, and the picture is not named on the back at all, so sadly, I guess this Marine's name is lost to history forever. The frame is metal, with a nice patriotic motif on the top as the pics show. I think it's pretty nice, so I thought I'd share it.

MW

post-440-1238032725.jpg

post-440-1238032737.jpg

That is a wonderful portrait! I have always found it interesting that the Marines required a skin tight hair cut for well over a hundred years, as this picture clearly illustrates. Does anyone know when Marines were first required to wear their hair in this fashion?

As for the medals, I am certain they will be identified before this thread is done.

Thanks for sharing!

Patriot

Airborne-Hunter

The bottom two medals are shooting awards looks like for rifle. The top right medal looks similar to a Dewey Medal by the ribbon or victory medal, but the plancet looks to be a mexican border service, the other medal looks to have a victory medal plancet with the wrong ribbon. Can you post a better close up of the medals?

Airborne-Hunter

for comparison...I belive the mexican border service medal is probably the one on the right with the wrong ribbon colors and the Victory to be the one on the right with the wrong ribbon colors. Just my thoughts though. The ribbons are probably wrong because it was colored after the picture was taken and the photographer couldn't remember the colors.

post-1800-1238034886.jpg

post-1800-1238034987.jpg