Distinguished Service Cross numbers

colt38super

colt38super

Hi, just picked this up to day at a flea market.

trying to find the recipient , Hall of Valor  does not have the # listed just names. any where else to look?? 

thanks in advance !! David R.

IMG_4323.JPG

IMG_4324.JPG

IMG_4325.JPG

I have the roster, but that # is in a small gap.  Still a great flea market score.  

Brian Dentino

One humdinger of a flea market find.  Not just one WWI DSC but 2 with one being the French made version and the other an early US made DSC.  Beautiful set to be sure!

colt38super

I left out some items In the junk box find. I think the French made cross goes with the later named cross.Probably Was given the french made one due to the US made ones not available when awarded? Found the tag for the numbered cross under the flap at the bottom of the box. Not a bad day

IMG_4383.JPG

IMG_4384.JPG

IMG_4385.JPG

IMG_4386.JPG

IMG_4387.JPG

IMG_4388.JPG

IMG_4389.JPG

IMG_4390.JPG

IMG_4391 2.jpg

IMG_4392 2.jpg

IMG_4393 2.JPG

IMG_4394 2.JPG

IMG_4395.JPG

IMG_4396.JPG

ludwigh1980

Fleamarket junk box find? I am flabbergasted.... I can only wonder of how it came there. Thank goodness some-one thought enough of its possible value to bring it to sale and not pitch it in the trash can.  I am always in awe how these make it out of a family or estate. This is a great example how collectors help preserve this countries' military legacy.  

Superb find. 

colt38super

Payed big for the uniforms but this stuff was almost free

bertmedals

Speechless here.  Congratulations! I wasn't sure those sorts of finds still happened.

Brian Dentino
3 hours ago, colt38super said:

Payed big for the uniforms but this stuff was almost free

Where's the uniform?  Is it posted on here somewhere?

KASTAUFFER

The number on the Silver Star is high enough to be in the WWII range.  Is it named ? If not, it was issued to a soldier in WWII. '

The named DSC and Purple Heart are late re-issues from probably the 50s or  60s based on the machine engraving. 

A traceable DSC number for Keenan is not shown on the list .

William Jones received DSC # 2118 . 

Kurt

colt38super
4 hours ago, KASTAUFFER said:

The number on the Silver Star is high enough to be in the WWII range.  Is it named ? If not, it was issued to a soldier in WWII. '

The named DSC and Purple Heart are late re-issues from probably the 50s or  60s based on the machine engraving. 

A traceable DSC number for Keenan is not shown on the list .

William Jones received DSC # 2118 . 

Kurt

there were 2 William Jones in WWI, 1 from ohio and 1 from Chicago . Which one got #2118 ? I was told #2521 was not listed due to a small gap in the records

KASTAUFFER
5 hours ago, colt38super said:

there were 2 William Jones in WWI, 1 from ohio and 1 from Chicago . Which one got #2118 ? I was told #2521 was not listed due to a small gap in the records

The William Jones ( with no middle initial and served with the 166th)  received DSC 2118 .

The other , William F Jones received 1296 .

colt38super
1 hour ago, KASTAUFFER said:

The William Jones ( with no middle initial and served with the 166th)  received DSC 2118 .

The other , William F Jones received 1296 .

where can I find this info on numbered Awards? All I have found is valor.militarytimes.com and they just have basic information 

KASTAUFFER

It was published in books by a researcher named Col.  Al Gleim years ago. It is not online. 

Kurt

IMG_4340.jpeg