Camo ETO sniper blouse 1944

Pluto

This was a fortunate find ten days ago via the rag mill in the SW of England. Came from about 30 miles away from where the US sniper school (Tidworth, Hampshire) was based in WW2, maybe a coincidence. Was stiff with decades-worth of dust/dirt but has cleaned up well. Manufactured by Denham Ltd, 1944, label states 'Blouse, Suit, Sniper, USA ETO Spec'. Heavy cotton, not HBT like the US camo. Colour and print is British variation of the US print. Fully reversible. These were subsequently used by French forces in Indochina, and the outward-facing pleats to pockets anticipate the pocket form of the 60s VN Tigerstripe jackets.

Does anyone know if this jacket was actually used by US forces in WW2, and if so is there any photographic evidence ?

Grateful for any further thoughts on this jacket, and if anyone has any other related British-made camo.

thanks

Pluto

post-4733-1238014050.jpg

post-4733-1238014064.jpg

This was a fortunate find ten days ago via the rag mill in the SW of England. Came from about 30 miles away from where the US sniper school (Tidworth, Hampshire) was based in WW2, maybe a coincidence. Was stiff with decades-worth of dust/dirt but has cleaned up well. Manufactured by Denham Ltd, 1944, label states 'Blouse, Suit, Sniper, USA ETO Spec'. Heavy cotton, not HBT like the US camo. Colour and print is British variation of the US print. Fully reversible. These were subsequently used by French forces in Indochina, and the outward-facing pleats to pockets anticipate the pocket form of the 60s VN Tigerstripe jackets.

Does anyone know if this jacket was actually used by US forces in WW2, and if so is there any photographic evidence ?

Grateful for any further thoughts on this jacket, and if anyone has any other related British-made camo.

thanks

Pluto

Label:

post-4733-1238014536.jpg

Pluto .

This Company also made Windproof garments .

First off great jacket .

I am wondering if they got the spec wrong ?

Calling it sniper jacket , weird .

Let me think on this one .

ETO cool for sure .

I have seen this print before ,is this fully reversable ?

owen

craig_pickrall

There was another of these posted several months ago. I'm not sure where to find it now. I think there was some additional info added to that thread and possibly a period photo of the uniform in use.

I got lucky and found it with a search.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...sniper&st=0

Thanks everybody, for the leads / opinions. Interesting to see the example on the other thread had wear - ie was not dead-stock / unissued. Perhaps this seems to be one of those mystery garments.....

- a question, if I may be so bold, to Mr Jgawne - are you the author of the recent French article on this subject ?

A friend of mine had one of these complete English-made "Sniper Suits" in pristine condition years ago, and sold it to a 'flage collector over in the Northeast U.S.. I'll bet he's lurking on this site somewhere...any pics??