USMC Corporal, Belleau Wood, June 1918

world war I nerd

world war I nerd

Corporal, USMC, 5th Marine Regiment,

2nd Division, Belleau Wood, France, June 6, 1918

While the Marines of the 2nd Division were in the quiet sectors of Verdun and Toul completing their on the job training, General Ludendorff launched a massive German offensive which had broken through the French line sweeping across the Aisne and the Vesle rivers, reaching Château-Thierry on the banks of the Marne, a mere forty miles east and slightly north of Paris. General Foch asked Pershing for his best available troops and Pershing responded by sending the 3rd Division to hold the bridges at Château-Thierry and the soldiers and Leathernecks of the 2nd Division were dispatched to the Paris-Metz highway to stop the German advance which was almost at the gates of Paris.

On the night of June 5th members of the 5th Marines found themselves just one thousand yards of wheat away from a tangled old hunting preserve called Belleau Wood. Over the next month the Leathernecks fought to dislodge four veteran divisions from prepared positions in the mile square forest. The woods were taken one small piece at time and the mazes of underbrush and scattered fields which were punctuated by beds of red poppies changed hands no less than seven times. It was not until June 25th that the Marines with the assistance of the 3rd Division’s, 7th Infantry Regiment had successfully captured the woods at a cost of nearly 10,000 A.E.F. casualties and in doing so they had impressed the seasoned German soldiers, who from there after referred to the U.S. Marines as “Teufel-Hunden” or “Devil Dogs”.

Dawn of June 6th finds this NCO in a skirmish line carefully watching over the boots who nervously adjust the slings of their rifles and hitch the lightweight combat packs higher up on their backs before shoving off. He wears the USMC 1912/14 Winter Field Uniform as he drinks from his one quart, aluminum canteen, beneath the intense heat of the French summer sun.

The Winter Field Uniform was adopted by the Marine Corps in 1912, when it was decided that a more practical field uniform for winter wear was needed to replace the khaki cotton drill field uniform, which was found to be unsuitable for cooler climates. The color forest green (a grayish olive green) was chosen because of its long association with the European Rifle and Jager regiments since the 1700’s.

In 1914 the winter wool field coat was modified. The coat remained identical to the earlier 1912 pattern with the exception that two pockets were added, one on each side of the skirt, below the waist. The two new skirt pockets had no pleats and were of the “bellows” type which allowed them to expand slightly when full. The only insignia worn on this NCOs coat are a pair of Corporal Chevrons and the silver Expert Rifleman Shooting Badge, pinned above the left breast pocket (hidden behind the gasmask satchel). Marine NCO chevrons were worn points up, centered on both sleeves, midway between the elbow and the shoulder. Marksmanship was highly regarded in the Marine Corps and the silver “shooting badges” were proudly worn on the field coats and flannel shirts by both officers and enlisted men.

Enlisted men of the Marine Corps wore the straight legged 1912 Winter Field Trousers made of matching forest green wool. When the marines came ashore in France they wore the khaki Canvas “Spat Type” Leggings and by June it was not uncommon for a company of marines to be seen wearing both the leggings and the army style spiral wool puttees. The corporal’s 1912 Marching shoes have been replaced by a pair of 1917 Marching Shoes which were issued on a limited basis, along with French and British made field shoes to the early members of the AEF when their lightweight American marching shoes wore out.

post-5143-1237993225.jpg

world war I nerd

When the Marines were undergoing their advanced training in France they were ordered to turn in their campaign hats and were issued with steel trench helmets and army style khaki wool Overseas Caps. For a short time the Marines wore the French horizon blue M1915 Adrian Helmet. However, these were quickly replaced by the flat British MK I Steel Helmet which offered greater protection from shell fragments and shrapnel. The British “battle bowlers”, in turn were phased out in early 1918 when the U.S. M1917 Steel Helmet became available. Here the American made copy of the British helmet is worn.

When the Marine Corps went to war in 1917, it had its own M1910 Infantry Equipment which was nearly identical in pattern to the field gear worn by their Doughboy counterparts, except that the USMC cotton webbing produced between 1907 and 1917 was olive green in color and featured a USMC snap fastener (where applicable) which bore the same design as the USMC uniform button. In addition all of their gear lacked the large size initials “U.S.” which were printed in black ink on the equipment made for the army.

This corporal’s personal field equipment consists of a USMC M1910 Cartridge Belt made from olive green woven cotton with USMC snap fasteners. Suspended from the belt is the M1910 Canteen and Cup, carried in the USMC M1910 Canteen Cover also made from olive green woven cotton and each flap is held closed by the same Marine Corps snap that was used on the cartridge belt. The U.S. Navy provided medical support for the Marines and each Marine was issued one U.S. Navy M1911 First Aid Pouch, constructed from khaki cotton duck material and sewn into a box shape with slightly rounded lower corners. Carried inside the pouch is one U.S. Navy M1907 First Aid Packet. The khaki painted brass packet was the same as those issued to the army except they were embossed “U.S. Navy” along with the contract date and manufacture’s name.

Before going over the top, in order to lighten their load and to increase the men’s efficiency in combat, GHQ ordered all Marines and Doughboys to strip their haversacks of the pack carrier, shelter half, blanket and all of their superfluous personal items, which were left behind in a blanket roll. The Marine pack now reduced to the bare essentials needed for combat contain only his mess gear, entrenching tool, rifle bayonet, reserve rations, spare socks and a few toilet articles, leaving a much lighter “combat” or “battle” pack. Hooked onto the eyelets along the upper edge of the cartridge belt are the shoulder straps of the USMC M1910 Haversack with a USMC M1910 Meatcan Pouch and USMC M1910 Shovel Carrier, both in the USMC olive green color without the black initials “U.S.”

The Marines in France were initially issued a lightweight French M2 Gasmask, which was carried in a semi circular canvas mussette bag. Its simple design made it much more comfortable to wear for prolonged periods of time. However, its poor filtration capability, flimsy construction and susceptibility to water damage, all reduced its effectiveness and the fact that it did not block mustard gas forced GHQ to issue a general order in late 1917 which designated that the British M1917 Small Box Respirator would be the primary gasmask used by all members of the A.E.F. and that the French gasmask would be carried only as a reserve gasmask. This marine carries two gasmasks per regulations. The French M2 Gasmask is worn, slung in the proper position resting on the right hip and the new American M1917 Small Box Respirator, which replaced the British made gasmask in the spring of 1918, is worn correctly, in the “alert” position, high on the chest ready for instant use.

Like all the other Marine riflemen serving in France, this corporal is armed with the M1903/05 Springfield Service Rifle, which was arguably, considered the most accurate rifle used by any country during the war. It is slung from the M1907 Rifle Sling made of russet brown leather which was adjusted by means of a brass claw fitting.

post-5143-1237993283.jpg

Wow !

Thank you for this post. With the pictures you've posted and the write up it really gives me a better understanding of what my Granddad wore those days.

I think this is awsome.

Jon B

Newaygo MI

Hello.

Beautiful presentation, but the 1903 thumbdown.gif (bolt handle)

regards

Nice pics indeed but SOL is right

The Bolt of the 1903 is bend back and is post WWI

Usualy, the Marines had the 1914 Kerr system sling on their rifles, not the 1907 one ( as attested by pics and " ground finds").

The EG&A on the helmet is also questionable for this period ... yes, yes I know that " one helmet with the 1914 EG&A emblem" had supposedly been unhearted in a field north of BW ( funny... it is where the US cemetery is now located), and only one ( very bad) picture of a EGA helmet in the BW sector is known.

Wollen Puttee were also worn rather than gaiters.

Anyway, nice USMC stuff is shown here

Greets

T

Just to echo what the others said. Great post. It is nice to see what my Great-Grandfather was wearing. I am just wondering how common was the Marine Globe & Anchor device worn on the helmet?

Bill Fean

Just to echo what the others said. Great post. It is nice to see what my Great-Grandfather was wearing. I am just wondering how common was the Marine Globe & Anchor device worn on the helmet?

Bill Fean

http://www.scuttlebuttsmallchow.com/helmega.html

Not long ago the following helmet appeared for auction on Ebay. It was described as follows:

"This is a US model 1917 helmet. It has an Eagle/Globe/Anchor device affixed to the front. It was dug up during last summer next to a feild near the village of belleau, France. Just on the northern edge of the infamous Belleau wood, which was so hotly contested by the Germans during the battle of june-july, 1918. The wood was eventually taken by units of the US 2nd division, including the 5th and 6th marine infantry regiments. This helmet remains as it was found. No attempt to clean it up has been made. The EGA device shows a good ammount of detail. Although there is no liner or original paint, this helmet has survived its 80 years underground quite well. There are no major pits in the shell or the EGA device. A fascinating relic of the USMC in France."

One of our listmembers who has published a book on WWI USMC equipment, expressed surprise that the helmet is described as a US Model 1917, as to his knowledge the Marines were all using British helmets at the time. It should also be noted that to date there exists no conclusive evidence that any Marines wore EGA devices on their helmets while at Belleau Wood. Indeed, an order expressly forbidding the affixing of EGA devices on helmets had been issued several months before.

We are by no means asserting that this helmet is either authentic or inauthentic. We wish merely to point out that if this helmet is indeed authentic, then it is of genuine historic importance and we would very much hope that further information regarding its provenance will come to light.

Nice pics indeed but SOL is right

The Bolt of the 1903 is bend back and is post WWI

Usualy, the Marines had the 1914 Kerr system sling on their rifles, not the 1907 one ( as attested by pics and " ground finds").

The EG&A on the helmet is also questionable for this period ... yes, yes I know that " one helmet with the 1914 EG&A emblem" had supposedly been unhearted in a field north of BW ( funny... it is where the US cemetery is now located), and only one ( very bad) picture of a EGA helmet in the BW sector is known.

Wollen Puttee were also worn rather than gaiters.

Anyway, nice USMC stuff is shown here

Greets

T

I also just noticed that the 1910 havresack is not of WWI USMC issue but of Army issue.

The USMC gear had square staps brass ends and not round ones like here illustrated, and same were not stenciled " US" on the flap but USMC on the inside, but this is just a question of detail, the entire apparence is OK .

T

teufelhunde.ret
.........the EG&A on the helmet is also questionable for this period ... yes, yes I know that " one helmet with the 1914 EG&A emblem" had supposedly been unhearted in a field north of BW ( funny... it is where the US cemetery is now located), and only one ( very bad) picture of a EGA helmet in the BW sector is known.

Greets

T

Oh really? Here are several EGA helmets... Survivors of Belleau Wood, Courtesy of the US Army Heritage Education Center:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=39226

post_518_1237758088.jpg

New Romantic
I also just noticed that the 1910 havresack is not of WWI USMC issue but of Army issue.

The USMC gear had square staps brass ends and not round ones like here illustrated, and same were not stenciled " US" on the flap but USMC on the inside, but this is just a question of detail, the entire apparence is OK .

T

I've also noticed that. But the haversack must lack the US if it led WWI Nerd to believe it is USMC issue.

Oh really? Here are several EGA helmets... Survivors of Belleau Wood, Courtesy of the US Army Heritage Education Center:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=39226

Exactly the very picture I wad refering to in my preceding post...but I cannot locate another one

L to R

Lt G A GRUNLAND

cap G l WHITE

Lt G b ERSKINE

cap E V LLOYD

cap RT ZANE

Maj HOLCOMB

Lt CATES

Lt STOCKWELL

LT SCHNEIDER

LT WEST

LT SHIRKEL

For 30 years from now, I can attest of the existance of about more than 100 Mod 1914 EGA unhearted in BW & vicinity (35 are in the collection of a french member here), and many many more helmets, but no emblem was ever afixed to any helmet found.

Just my opinion

T

world war I nerd

Thanks everybody for all the comments regarding the post.

Yep, my mistake on the Springfield, sorry.

Because of the controversy surrounding the wearing or not wearing of the E G & A on the helmets I had planned to photoshop it out of the photo before posting but I forgot.

I certainly don't claim to be an expert on USMC field gear from WW I, but the shape of the strap ends is not enough to convince me, because we have all seen too many anomalies and confusing variations on all things WW I. I believe that the haversack, meatcan pouch and shovel cover used in the photo are of U.S.M.C. issue, based on the following reasons, which to me out weigh the round vs square strap ends:

A. The fact that there is no U.S. stenciling present on any of the pieces.

B. All three pieces were purchased as a set over 15 years ago they are all have the typical small sized USMC stamped on the inside.

C. The "olive green" color of the haversack closely matches that of the pre war USMC snap cartridge belts, canteen covers, etc. and is totally different from the olive drab, pea green and khaki that was used to make the army web gear and later USMC gear.

Please don't get me wrong I'll be the first one to admit I made a mistake, thats how we learn.

I look forward to hearing further discussion and opinions on the matter. Keep em coming both positive and negetive.

That photo was taken of the officers of 6th Marines soon after Belleau Wood, if an officer had an EGA on his helmet why wouldn't enlisted men? I know it has been discussed in the past just my boot 2 cents.

Enrique

teufelhunde.ret
... for 30 years from now, I can attest of the existence of about more than 100 Mod 1914 EGA unhearted in BW & vicinity (35 are in the collection of a french member here), and many many more helmets, but no emblem was ever afixed to any helmet found.

Just my opinion

T

Let's face it... the battlefields are approaching the century mark and your finds of the past few decades are not likely an accurate reflection of the gear left on the site's were these battles took place. In the immediate years afterward, I'm sure these site's were picked clean of the remnant's left behind by all sorts of people looking to profit from selling metals, reuse of these items for other purposes, those who simply collected or hoarded and others who sold these artifacts to early collectors. More importantly I would offer for your thought, leaving behind your helmet or weapon on the battlefield - is something hardly ever done, thus the exception, not the rule.

So it does not came as a surprise you have not found many helmets nearly a century latter, and from my perspective, the picture tells the story. Helmets with EGA's were indeed worn on the field of battle. s/f Darrell

• 7 years later...

Thanks for the pictures and post! It's really interesting to see it all put together in a modern color photo (as opposed to often grainy black and white pics) to really give one a sense of perspective on how they and their gear all looked together. Thanks!

-Preston