WW1 wound stripe

collector

Would someone out there please post a close-up of a wound stripe please? Were they all the same, or were there different looks depending upon who made it and where like some patches I've seen?

Thanks

world war I nerd

Hi collector,

The WW I wound stripes, worn on the lower right sleeve show up in a number of different styles and sizes. This was primarily based on when and where the wound stripe was issued, supplied or purchased. The stripes and materials used were identical to the overseas stripes worn on the lower left sleeve and all of the regulation stripes were mass produced in roll of approx. 100 or so and removed as needed for any soldier who was due for an overseas or wound stripe.

After receiving a combat wound or gassing the paperwork would make its way through the army mill at some point in the future the soldier would receive two matching stripes, one for the service coat and one for the overcoat (wound and overseas stripes were not authorized to be worn on the wool shirt). It was then up to the soldier to sew the wound stripe on himself, or to pay a French Madame to do it for him, or he might even ignore the whole matter and carry the stripe in his pocket for the duration of the war. When out of the lines a private in the 108th Infantry, 27th Division made the following note in his field diary,

"Issued a new coat, got my wound stripe this A.M."

The stripes issued would most likely be of the gold bullion tape or of the gold bullion thread variety, both of which were placed on an olive drab or khaki colored wool backing. Just like the service coats themselves there are many minor differences and nuances to be found. The differences can be accounted for, by where the stripes were manufactured, what materials were available at the time and the stripes were also custom made at tailor shops on both sides of the Atlantic shops which only adds to the number of styles that are seen.

The photo represents the two most common varieties used, but by no means are they the only style that a collector will encounter.

post-5143-1237988054.jpg

It might also be mentioned that one cannot tell a wound chevron from an overseas chevron unless they are on a uniform in the appropriate location! If a uniform, likely an officer's, was tailor made, the wound and overseas chevrons would probably even match.

G

Thanks for the input, Here's a shot of the chevron I was wondering about, it looks OK from the shots and descriptions just posted.

post-1414-1238102845.jpg

Here are some further examples of wound/overseas chevrons. as has already been mentioned the only real difference was which sleeve the chevrons were worn on.

Top is metallic thread on army OD material. this one happens to be sewn on a Marine green blouse. The middle one is a bit different.

It's blue thread on army OD material sewn on an Army officer's blouse. The blue chevron, I seem to remember, signified less than 6 mos overseas. There were no blue wound chevrons to my knowledge.

On the bottom is a shot of(parts of) three different chevrons. On top is part of a rather fancy bullion tape chevron on navy blue for the (Navy/Marine blue uniform. Middle is an odd colored chevron that looks sort of gray-green. I'm not sure if it's truly a wound/o'seas chevron or not. Bottom is another rather fancy bullion tape chevron. This one is a little thicker than the others and it's on army OD material.

The point is that there were many different styles of chevrons. Some were issued. some were bought from military stores, and some were tailor-made.

post-1107-1238169279.jpg

post-1107-1238169288.jpg

post-1107-1238169321.jpg

world war I nerd

The center stripe in your photos is actually a silver service chevron, which was issued for 6 months state side service.

If I remeber correctly they were not called "overseas stripes" at the time; they were called "Service Chevrons".

One chevron was awarded/authorized for each six months of service, as follows:

A Silver chevron was for six months service in the United States

A Light Blue chevron was for less than six months service overseas (England, France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Italy and Russia)

A Gold chevron was for each six months of overseas service

They were worn on the lower left sleeve point down, except for Navy and Marine personnel who served on board a ship, in which case they were worn authorized to wear one gold chevron point up for each six months on the ship. It was possible for Navy or Marine personnel to wear a combination of points up and points down ifthey saw service on a ship and then in France.

I may be wrong on this point but their overseas service began the day they stepped off the boat in England or France and as soon as they passed the three mile limit outside of whatever port of embarkation they shipped out of (there were 12 of them) they were officially a part of the A.E.F.

The "Wound Chevron" was awarded/authorized for each combat wound or gassing recieved in the "Zone of advance". Wound chevrons were only issued in gold and were worn on the lower right sleeve.

When each soldier was honorably discharged he was given three red "Discharge Chevrons", one for the wool shirt, one for the service coat and one for the overcoat. These were to be sewn onto the right sleeve point up, midway between the elbow and the shoulder.

The National Defense Act of 1916 allowed discharged soldier to wear his uniform only from the place of his discharge to his home, for 3 months after being discharged. After that period of time elapsed it became illeagal to wear the uniform without the red discharge chevron.

world war I nerd

Here's a photo of a USMC, 6th Machine Gun Battalion, 2nd Division uniform with:

One Shipboard Service Chevron (six months) worn point up along with two Overseas Service Chevrons (twelve months) worn points down for a grand total of eighteen months service during the war.

post-5143-1238198443.jpg

The center stripe in your photos is actually a silver service chevron, which was issued for 6 months state side service.

If it is light blue thread and not silver, why is it not a less than 6-month overseas service chevron?

Leatherneck 1918

WWI Nerd,

Hey nice picture of the 6th M.G.Battalion Marine But 3 things-

1.-The WWI Army of Occupation Medal and Ribbon didn't come until Nov 1941 (Gen.Pershing was the first to receive it )

2. If this Marine was just coming back from France and in the Victory parade his helmet would have painted up with the 6th MG Batt. Insigina

3. the French Forragere wasn't authorized for wear until 1920-21 by HQ Marine Corps.

but it's still a very good display you have pictured here

Can you drop me aline off post here i know that guy who posed in this.get with me when you can.

Steve

world war I nerd

Sorry for the confususion.

I was referring to the "odd colored--gray green colored" chevron in USMCRECON"S post

(the one just above mine)

Sorry for the confususion.

I was referring to the "odd colored--gray green colored" chevron in USMCRECON"S post

(the one just above mine)

Thanks. Operator error on my part.