WW2 .30 Ammo Can Yellow Stencil

buzzbomb

buzzbomb

Hi all, from what I can gather a yellow stencil on a .30 m1 can is a repacked or post war thing. 

I am sure thought that my ammo can is untouched from ww2, as down here in NZ they were just left behind or used up during the US activities down here.

Also trying to read out what the stencil says. Any help appreciated on that too. 

Do you see any evidence to pint to this yellow stencil not being from ww2?

IMG_6914.jpeg

IMG_6915.jpeg

IMG_6916.jpeg

AustinO

The nomenclature stamped into the can is generic, while the yellow info is more specific about what was packed into the can.  Belted versus boxes, M2 ball vs armor piercing - etcetera.  You do see repack info stamped on cans but it usually involves a date stamp when repacked.  In your can's case, since it doesn't mention a repack it has not been touched since the war. 

buzzbomb
2 hours ago, AustinO said:

The nomenclature stamped into the can is generic, while the yellow info is more specific about what was packed into the can.  Belted versus boxes, M2 ball vs armor piercing - etcetera.  You do see repack info stamped on cans but it usually involves a date stamp when repacked.  In your can's case, since it doesn't mention a repack it has not been touched since the war. 

Thank you kindly for your opinion mate. Appreciate it and concur with you. 

I will add the use of “ Belted”. That meant cloth belts. All the post WW2 repacked cans I have seen use “ Linked”, in other words, metal links instead of cloth belts. The US Army didn’t start issuing linked ammo to ground units until very, very late in the war. Links were set aside for aircraft MG’s, USAAF, USN. 

Original WW2 .30 cal issued untouched cans are very hard to find, good find.

buzzbomb
20 hours ago, 917601 said:

I will add the use of “ Belted”. That meant cloth belts. All the post WW2 repacked cans I have seen use “ Linked”, in other words, metal links instead of cloth belts. The US Army didn’t start issuing linked ammo to ground units until very, very late in the war. Links were set aside for aircraft MG’s, USAAF, USN. 

Original WW2 .30 cal issued untouched cans are very hard to find, good find.

Thanks! I believe location is everything in this case. Bought here (New Zealand) with the US forces during the war and left behind untouched for our use in the garage and sheds haha!