post-4767-1239759941.jpg

The Saratoga Hotel

post-4767-1239760013.jpg

Unknown Location. If anyone knows...PST

post-4767-1239760075.jpg

Salvage Sailor
Bomb making??

Bomb_making.jpg

Priest Mortar (cross between grenade launcher and trench mortar) circa 1915, note the firing lanyard in his hand

Thanks Guys. I'm trying to share them all but it takes time to resize them, etc for posting. It was a really full shoebox of pictures.

If anone has any information on any of what I'm posting please share that with us. Many pictures are not postcard type but have nothing written on them. Someone from the forum may just know where a picture was taken.

American and USMC Flags (unknown location)

post-4767-1239729449.jpg

Close up of the Marine flag

post-4767-1239729502.jpg

This photo was taken at the 5th Marines Headquarters.....don't know the exact town on the Rhine (post 120). You can see that it is the same building, I got this photo from an album that belonged to a Marine in the 5th.

Thank you so much for sharing.......

post-2633-1239862889.jpg

WOW That picture is great!! And it sure does match up with the one I have. THANK YOU for posting it.

It makes me wonder what other pictures you and other collectors have from the Marines 5th Regiment during WW1. Perhaps I can ask you guys to post them on this thread and get our Administrators to rename this much like Dirk did with the Haiti thread. One Thread for the 4th Brigade maybe? What a collection this could be.

Just food for thought.

Jon B

Newaygo MI

Dead German Pilot and Crashed Airplane

Dead_German_Pilot_and_Crashed_Airplane.jpg

FYI - This is actually a famous and well-published photo of of Lt. Quentin Roosevelt, U.S. 95th Aero Squadron dead alongside his Nieuport. He was the son of President Theodore Roosevelt.

Bob

teufelhunde.ret
FYI - This is actually a famous and well-published photo of of Lt. Quentin Roosevelt, U.S. 95th Aero Squadron dead alongside his Nieuport. He was the son of President Theodore Roosevelt.

Bob

... an excellent short documentary video about his service in France: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n70DAB670NU...=PL&index=5

Jon,

There are several 4th Marine Brigade posted.....use the search engine and you will not be disappointed.

Enrique

By the way that photo was taken at Prince of Weids Palace in Neuwied, Gemany, on the Rhine (Neuwied Palace). I tried to find an updated photo of the palace to compare with this one but it doesn't look quite the same.

Enrique

Thank you all for your input. I've updated my file copies accordingly.

It sure helps to have you guys looking at these pictures and help me identify my pictures correctly. It is greatly appreciated.

Jon B

Newaygo MI

• 3 weeks later...
USMC A5 Sniper Rifle
Ok, I'm pretty excited. I found a picture posted on ancient faces website of the HQ Company - 5th Marines at Altwied Germany April 1919. There were two pictures and very little information other than what was written on the pictures. The first picture is called "the pioneers" which may be a picture of the "plankowners" of left in the company since forming in Philly. I really do not know and if anyone has an idea please let me know. What I do know is that it's hard to find anything on the headquarters companys.

post-6343-1241412177.jpg

I'm pretty sure I can pick out my Granddad. Hes the 3rd man in from the left in the 2nd rank. (3rd if your counting the platoon leaders out front) You can see what I think is a expert Rifleman pin on him. Anyhow I just wanted to share these two pictures with people who find them as exciting as I do.

Jon B.

Newaygo MI

post-4767-1237945439.jpg

The Pioneer Platoon was, for lack of a better description, a Seabee type platoon. They were responsible for building Regimental, Battalion, and Company HQ's and entrenchments, etc. This type of platoon, as well as the Intelligence Platoons, is never shown in unit ladders for some reason. I have been assembling the various Intel units (names, rank and rifle serial numbers) for the 5th and 6th Marines of WWI, and I came across the Pioneer Platoon. If you need more info, please contact me. I have identified hundreds of the Scout Snipers, but I only have about 50 rifle serial numbers matched to their Snipers. My goal is the identification of all the WWI Marine Scout Snipers from which the WWII, Korea, and Vietnam Scout Snipers were modeled.

Jim Tarleton

USMC A5 Sniper Rifle
I'm going to add one from my Granddad's collection Just for the dog and mascot lovers: Jimbo the fox terrier here at monrepas Germany

post-4767-1237945823.jpg

The WWI 5th Marines official mascot was an armidillo. The mascot of the 3/6 was a chicken caught by Joe Rendinell, 3/6 Scout Sniper.

Semper Fi,

Jim

USMC A5 Sniper Rifle
Post card type picture of William De Haven. He's wearing a marksman pin, so it would be sometime in 1916 at MB Port Royal or in Haiti. He got Sharpshooter and Expert before they went to France. To me he looks so different in each of the pictures.

post-4767-1239653932.jpg

Pvt. William H. DeHaven (SN 118936) was promoted to Signalman 3rd Class on 11 Mar 1918. Thought you might like to know.

Semper Fi,

Jim

USMC A5 Sniper Rifle
The questions have been raised in the past on did the Marines put EGA's and paint their helmets. Many thoughts have been posted. I'm sure exceptions can be found either way. This Marine has neither.

From what I've read, they didn't paint their helmets until on the way home or once they were home.

post-4767-1239667798.jpg

The 5th and 6th Marines did indeed put EGA's on their Brodie helmets. Not all did. I have pictures taken on 6 Jun 1918 at Bois de Belleau showing Marines with and without EGA's and unpainted helmets. I think the helmets were painted after Belleau Woods and Sassions when they had a break (finally). I suspect it depended on the individual Marine if the helmet got painted. They were issued surplus Type A and Type B Brodie helmets while the British soldiers used the Model 1916. In the pictures of the 5th and 6th Marines, one can identify both the Type A and the Type B Brodies, which were highly reflective, making them appear chrome plated. The domes on the Type A were higher than the dome on the Type B, which at times makes the different helmets look odd. Note the attached picture from Bois de Belleau. I think the Marines painted their helmets to cut down the reflection.

Sorry - file would not upload.

Semper Fi,

Jim

USMC A5 Sniper Rifle
Toul French Chasse Plane

post-4767-1239729642.jpg

Abandonded German Chasse Plane

post-4767-1239729719.jpg

Troops (I have no idea whos, I'm not sure what the armband is for)

post-4767-1239729785.jpg

From the Springfield rifles and the lack of shoulder straps on their blouses, I would say they are Marines. I think the arm band designates a Regimental Runner, but I am not certain.

Jim

• 3 years later...
This photo was taken at the 5th Marines Headquarters.....don't know the exact town on the Rhine (post 120). You can see that it is the same building, I got this photo from an album that belonged to a Marine in the 5th.

Thank you so much for sharing.......

This look familiar from post #161. From a photo belonging to HQ 5th Corpsman, BY Ellsworth.

HQ5thflags.jpg. .