Found a nice Military footlocker...

FightenIrish35

FightenIrish35

Greetings Fellas,

This weekend I went to the Baltimore Show with my dad and set up with him for the weekend and while I was away from home my Mother did her usuall Weekend garage sale runs. Well she ran into this as well as the book by Bill Mauldin call UP FRONT which is just an awesome read(great art comics).

Anyways she suprised me when i got home with them and she got her payment for the items witha big hug and a kiss :)

Its in very good condition the locker and Ive yet to do some digging on the original owner.

So I bet your all wondering what my question is...well....dont laugh at me if its an obvious answer but what are the marks for the 3 stargiht lines that are on the top,the front,and one of the sides.

Is it some kind of symbols that officers would use to make sure someone didnt mess up there trunks in the mail?

Thanks for any information....also if anyone has any tipes on cleaning the trunk slightly id love to know.. Ive tried water alonger the side areas with dirt and it just doesnt do anything.

post-3581-1237944429.jpg

My gues would be its something he used to identify his trunk. Today we all mark our duffle bags the same, but, you can tie various things to try and help you find it when you unload. That seems the most obvious thing. When theres hundreds of footlockers (potentially) being stacked, it would make it quicker to find.

Dent

He was born in New York in 1912, enlisted in the Army on 18 Apr 1941: he two years of college so I wonder if he want to some sort of officer training course then, or got a battlefield commision later? He died in in 1975 in Delaware.

FightenIrish35

Ah I didnt even thing about symbols to identify the trunk apart from the others. Very good thought!Thanks

Thanks FS for the lead...i had found that out as well am about to hit the bed now but start my searching tommorow and see what I can find.. Thanks fellas!!!!!! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

FightenIrish35

Ah I didnt even thing about symbols to identify the trunk apart from the others. Very good thought!Thanks

Thanks FS for the lead...i had found that out as well am about to hit the bed now but start my searching tommorow and see what I can find.. Thanks fellas!!!!!! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Nice Footlocker!

And enjoy the Mauldin book. If you can find it, he wrote a book called "A sort of a Saga". Nothing to do with the war, it's about his childhood. Innocent and very funny. I have my Dad's old copy and the pages are all fly-away now...

FightenIrish35

I will defintly keep my eye open for that book. This Mauldin books got me hooked. Does anyone know if theres more ww2 era artwork books out there?? think.gif

Also about the locker...thanks for the link and info Johan!!! I never knew there was such a thing used like this. Unfortantly it seems that the numbers on my locker have been long crossed out so its hard to make out what the numbers were. I am kind of confused though as on that link i didnt find any links to exmplain what 3 white bars in a row meant only what other patterns meant. think.gif