VA-152 Patches

trenchbuff

Picked these two VA-152 jacket patches up over the weekend at a gunshow. I'm guessing they're Vietnam era. Am I close on the period?

post-944-1237932299.jpg

post-944-1237932316.jpg

bronxboymike
2nd one.

Hello, These are 60's time frame patches made in Japan. Pretty good condition also. PM me if you can about what you paid. I'm curious to know what kind of deal you got.

Mike

Hello, These are 60's time frame patches made in Japan. Pretty good condition also. PM me if you can about what you paid. I'm curious to know what kind of deal you got.

Mike

Thanks Mike. If they're 60s, I'm pretty sure I got a good deal. They weren't much.

VA-152

REF: DICTIONARY OF AMERICAN NAVAL AVIATION SQUADRONS—Volume I

Lineage

Established as Reserve Fighter Squadron SEVEN HUNDRED THIRTEEN (VF-713) sometime in the late 1940s.

Called to active duty on 1 February 1951.

Redesignated Fighter Squadron ONE HUNDRED FIFTY TWO (VF-152) on 4 February 1953.

Redesignated Attack Squadron ONE HUNDRED FIFTY TWO (VA-152) on 1 August 1958.

Disestablished on 29 January 1971. The first squadron to be assigned the VA-152 designation.

There were 2 other preceeding approved insignia, neither is the 2nd insignia (with the Biplane) displayed in the forum

There is no record of approval (CNO APPROVAL) for the ace of spades insignia. Colors for the flying

ace of spades insignia were: a black background for the insignia and scroll, outlined in red; the ace of spades was

white with black markings; the wings were gold with black markings; the arrow was gold with white streaks; and

gold lettering on the scroll.

SINCE THE INSIGNIA IS TABBED AS AN ATTACK SQUADRON IT IS POST 1958

Nicknames: Fighting Aces, 1953–1956.

The Friendly Squadron (Friendlies), 1957–1968.

Mavericks, 1968–1971.

The 2nd Insignia may not be for a Naval Squadron but a AEF Aero Squadron in WWI, The red, white blue tail is common

with Army Air Service units in France during WWI.

Listed Battle Honors for the 152nd Aero Squadron (Pursuit)

Service Streamers:

England 05 Mar 1918 - 23 Oct 1918

France 23 Oct 1918 - 11 Nov 1918

Campaign Streamers:

None

NOTE: My personnel comments as displayed in upper case letter

Terry L Horstead

• 4 months later...
2nd one.

I am intested in finding similar VA-152 patches and not unlike these patches seen here. Please contact me if anyone has one available.

Cheers, Dave

• 11 months later...

My dad was part of the Va-152 squadron. The patch is from 1951 to 1971 so it covered both the Korean War and Vietnam. The three blood drops on the patch were in rememberance of thre pilots that were killed in the Korean War.

I need to buy an extra patch so I keep my dads in scrapbook and sew one on my winter flight jacket.

James

• 1 month later...
My dad was part of the Va-152 squadron. The patch is from 1951 to 1971 so it covered both the Korean War and Vietnam. The three blood drops on the patch were in rememberance of thre pilots that were killed in the Korean War.

I need to buy an extra patch so I keep my dads in scrapbook and sew one on my winter flight jacket.

James

Hi James,

Was wondering when your Father was attached to VA-152?

Just recently, I added a thread to the Forum with regards to my Father's attachement to to the squadron http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=84899 .

Cheers, Dave

Hi All,

Recently, I have been doing my homework on this set of patches. As it turns out, those two particular versions of the squadron and associated patch featured in this thread were once used by the squadron members while flying AD-1 Skyraider A/C in a 1965 deployment off the USS Oriskany (CVA-34) during the Vietnam War.

Cheers, Dave

I thought that the second patch may have been purposely designed as a play on words- one nickname for the AD-1 Skyraider was "Spad", and the WWI SPAD biplane depicted in the patch design is carrying a much too-large bomb load, more like what the AD-1 would carry.

Nice patches, and fascinating information; thanks to all for sharing.

• 2 weeks later...

James

Hi James,

If you in fact have a VA-152 squadron patch available, I was hoping that you would in fact post an image of your Father's original patch that I might be able to catagagorise that version to that particular time it was being used by the squadron.

Thanks, Dave