Early (1940) Yellow 81mm M56 Mortar w/M53 Fuse

Persian Gulf Command

Persian Gulf Command

Found at the SOS on Thursday! I located this exceptional original Yellow 1940 dated 81mm M56 Mortar body to attach to my correct M53 Mortar Fuse.  I collect early yellow HE, Inert Ordnance, so this was kind of a "Grail" item for me.  The body is in exceptional condition with 98% of its original yellow paint. It almost looks too good as so much of the paint is intact and clean. The surface layer of the paint has is a deep mustard yellow color patina often seen on early HE Ordnance. The rolled black inked nomenclature is differently spaced than what would be seen on war time M-56 mortars. All around an exceptional condition rare item to add to my collection!

As always, all comments and questions are welcome!  

My 81mm M56 1.JPG

My 81mm M56 2.JPG

My 81mm M56 3.JPG

My 81mm M56 4.JPG

My 81mm M56 5.JPG

My 81mm M56 6.JPG

My 81mm M56 7.JPG

Persian Gulf Command
28 minutes ago, Dirt Detective said:

Congrats on a fantastic find. I would have jumped on that.  Does the tail have the primer in it?  Very jealous.

I had the tail assembly with a 1942 primer, as well as the M-53 fuse. What I found at the SOS was just the M-56 mortar body.  I guess all three components were meant to be together.  

Dirt Detective
On 2/25/2024 at 4:43 PM, Persian Gulf Command said:

I had the tail assembly with a 1942 primer, as well as the M-53 fuse. What I found at the SOS was just the M-56 mortar body.  I guess all three components were meant to be together.  

Great just checking...was going to send you one if you needed it. 

• 4 weeks later...