Inert Mk. II Grenade Asking Prices on GunBroker

Stressman

Stressman

There are presently eight inert Mk. II fragmentation grenades (olive drab with yellow stripe) for sale on GunBroker with asking prices ranging from $600 to $1,760 (plus tax, fees, and shipping cost). Seven of these eight have asking prices of $660 or higher, and five of them have asking prices of $700 or higher.  Do these asking prices reflect the present value for typical WWII-era, inert Mk. II fragmentation grenades?  Do they ever sell at these prices?  EBay provides “SOLD” prices for items that have sold on their site, but GunBroker does not, or if it does, I don’t know how to find this information.  So, it appears to be impossible to determine whether an item that was listed on GunBroker but that is no longer listed has been (1) sold for the asking price or (2) sold at a reduced price in a "deal" between the seller and the buyer, or (3) merely removed from the site because it could not be sold for the asking price.  Any thoughts here?

There is an "advanced search" option on gunbroker that oyu can see sold prices for items, I think they only keep 60 days or worth of records. Typically I see the mk2 with olive drab and yellow stripe sell for $250-400 depending on condition.

I can offer some advice, if you see one you like, buy it. I can remember when they went for $125-150….today, $400- $450 for a nice, correct example. They are getting harder to find….and as one auctioneer told me, most come from 30 year collections, are sold off, then not seen for another 30 years.

All WW2 dated stuff is going up quickly. A recent auction I bid on  ( 105mm)  went for $350 plus 20 percent plus shipping, I had bought a few 4-5 years ago for $200 plus shipping. All ordnance is getting very, very hard to find.

To me GunBroker is like any other auction site. People will list items and put an insane price on the item(s) and see what sticks.  Many choose to use the sight to then price items for resale at shows or shops and the items tend to sit unsold. 

Some start high and have a "make offer" option or just continue to relist over an over. Some list items for 99cents and then the auction runs to completion. I have seen items bring some serious prices and I always wonder where these buyers are as I dont see the same things flying off tables at shows for less money and all of these people do look at auctions. I also wonder how many auctions the sellers actually get paid for and also how many bids are real of ghost bids from a second account or a friend.  

I have seen the same with Older GI smoke grenades sold on GB. They can bring a fair amount. But no one will look twice at them at the local shows. 

Gunbroker in particular.  All those grenades have been listed at those prices for a year or longer.  If you keep watching, others get listed for actual auctions (not super inflated, non-sense, start/BIN prices) and usually go for about what's been stated already in this thread.