USMC First Aid pouch

collector

Just got this from a very reputable dealer, and would like some informed opinions. There are lots of fakes, this one does not look any out there I can find. I have lots of Marine equipment, some of it Depot, but would like a second opinion on this one.

post-1414-1237852672.jpg

Collector,

This is just an opinion, but the pouch is highly suspect as far as I am concerned. The hook looks Army, the stitching seems a bit funky, and the snaps don't appear correct to my aging eyes.

I could be wrong. It would NOT be the first time! The pouch just doesn't convince me....Maybe others more knowledeable than I can give you more comfort.

Bagman

The fouled up edging on the face of the pouch is probably a sign of hand-cutting. Cleanly die-cut or saw-cut fabric pieces don't usually have goofy curves that make edging do that. The stitching is also sloppy, including at the least a very dull needle. The snaps look a lot like the YKK snaps I use

on some of my stuff...suspicious to me. Also, it doesn't look like the edge binding tape was applied with a commercial folder, but by hand.

just my $.02

Greg Robinson

I agree with the opinions expressed above for all the same reasons plus I notice the snaps are too mint and clean looking and unmarked. Originals used by the Phila Depot will generally have markings that are near impossible to read but should be inside the female snap. Should be something along the lines of "CARR FAST. CO P'TD" with a pre WW1 date,

So far you are all expressing the opinions that made me doubt this item in the first place. I'll return it. It's too bad, it's the only item I don't have one of in the collection.

Thanks

reputable dealer?!!!! aha ha ha...oh well... w00t.gif:lol: what you call a non reputable? :)

Yes, sales people are sales people the world over, but in this case I had no previous evidence on the dealer and he is a well-known collector.

Some are scum from the word go, but I don't buy many things anyway and since there was a return policy in place, in this case I gave it a shot.

Oh and yes, there are actually honest folks out there (few and far between I'll grant you).

This thing could have been a reenactor piece, or as gunbunny said, a film item.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a little recognition guide for the USMC first aid pouches. The dead give away is the snaps. The original pouches snap did not have the reinforcement on the male part of the snap against the cloth face of the pouch. If the female part of the snap is clean enough you may be able to read the inside manufacturers information. Everyone I have ever seen has had CARR snaps with the date of 1913. The hooks are different from the typical Army type as well.

Tim

post-192-1238728799.jpg

post-192-1238728808.jpg

Marine Corps pouch compared to the Army's M1911 pouch. I believe the Marine Depot used the M1911 pouch as a pattern.

Tim

post-192-1238729100.jpg

• 4 years later...

Keystone. I believe I have one of these pouches as it matches the photos you posted on here. I'd like to ask if you have ever seen or know of a FA pouch having a date on it? It looks like mine has US 191x, the X being either a 3, 6, 8 or even a zero meaning 1910, which would be most incorrect for a USMC pouch, I'd presume...

The army pouches were usually dated. The army pouch in the above photo is dated 1911. I have rarely seen the USMC pouches dated although I do seem to recall one forum member with a DQP 1939-1940 dated pouch. I would need to see a picture of your pouch to be sure.

Tim

• 7 months later...