National Archives Graduation photo

bschwartz

bschwartz

The National Archives recently released a large set of photos from WW2 and forward of AAF and Air Force photos from old Kodachrome negatives.  Some really amazing stuff out there if you're interested in the planes from that period.  You can find the page from this link  

One of the images that grabbed my attention is this one.  Clearly some sort of graduation photo where either navigators or bombardiers are receiving their wings.  You can see the wings on the table but unfortunately not close enough to make out what they are.  But that type of practice bomber was used for both navigator and bombardier training so it's safe to assume it's one of those two.  There wasn't any additional information to go along with the photo from the source I received it from.  I'm sure it's a proud moment for these airmen and a celebration of all they had to go through to earn their wings.

Looks like the size of the image got cut down by the forum so here's a link to the full size image.

53412968058_f951c72ec7_k.jpg

I wonder if any of them said "Thank you sir, may I have another?" From Animal House!  LOL

Actually, great photo.  Wanna bet that those are all clutch back wings?  But perfect illustration of the concept of "graduation wings"

8247534.jpg.abe93fe9d6a4d9e1e7a093051dae9deb.jpg

bschwartz

So I zoomed way in on this and the quality of the original scan is very good because you can make out that these are bombardier wings.  And Patrick is very likely correct that these are clutch back wings.  Couldn't say for sure but the way they are sitting on the table makes me think that they most likely are.

As for what they're saying, they're probably saying where is my two day pass so I can go score with the local women with these shiny new wings.  But probably feel like they just survived the "Thank you sir, may I have another".