M18 Red Smoke Grenade

collector

Can anyone help me date this one? I don't know if the 80 or 45 on the front are dates or nomenclature. That spoon is one I've had forever, it's not the one that came with the grenade. It says 2 sec on it, and had the smoke bend in it, but I thought that smoke grenades had no delay.

Maybe that spoon was on a frag grenade originally and was re-purposed before I got it.

post-1414-1237821853.jpg

I am afraid I have no answers to your questions. I did, however, what to say how cool looking your smoke grenade is and to thank you for sharing the pictures. I know nothing about such grenades so, out of curiosity, what are the dimensions of this particular example?

Thanks for the education.

Tim

Grenade Lot Numbers are Circa 1980 Maunfactured by Pine Bluff Arsenal. An M18 Grenade of that Era Used an M201A1 Fuze Assembly, which has a 1.2 - 2.0 second Delay.

Grenade Lot Numbers are Circa 1980 Maunfactured by Pine Bluff Arsenal. An M18 Grenade of that Era Used an M201A1 Fuze Assembly, which has a 1.2 - 2.0 second Delay.

Thanks, just what I wanted to know.

I am afraid I have no answers to your questions. I did, however, what to say how cool looking your smoke grenade is and to thank you for sharing the pictures. I know nothing about such grenades so, out of curiosity, what are the dimensions of this particular example?

Thanks for the education.

Tim

CAN - 4.625 tall

7.50 circum.

Add about an inch in height for the fuze

Hi Collector,

This smoke grenade is Vietnam war issue. Nice looking too, good find.

Thanks but now I'm confused, a previous post just stated that it's 1980 vintage.

Dirt Detective
Hi Collector,

This smoke grenade is Vietnam war issue. Nice looking too, good find.

I guess I meant to say this is the type used in Vietnam..the exact numbers on the can, Im not sure what it means. Im more of a WWII grenade guy. I will see what I mcan find.

• 2 months later...

Also, sometime around the late 1980's the canister lost its seperate bottom plate and was made in one piece with an attached top plate

A two second delay is just long enough to toss the smoke grenade away from you without getting the smoke spewing all over you.

I forget the delay on a fragmentation grenade, but it is longer to allow the thrower to take cover from the resulting fragments.

This is an exact example of what I was using in 1980.

I had a friend in the 1st Cav who used to take these home, peel off the cover on the bottom and fill the cavity with with CS powder (tear gas). This gave them a double threat when used in field training for a chemical attack.

A two second delay is just long enough to toss the smoke grenade away from you without getting the smoke spewing all over you.

I forget the delay on a fragmentation grenade, but it is longer to allow the thrower to take cover from the resulting fragments.

This is an exact example of what I was using in 1980.

I had a friend in the 1st Cav who used to take these home, peel off the cover on the bottom and fill the cavity with with CS powder (tear gas). This gave them a double threat when used in field training for a chemical attack.

Sounds right, other tricks were either throw a green/purple smoke first then a CS, or some enterprising 2AD guys in 1982 would pry up the tape and crumble Heat tabs into the canister for a similar effect.

Sounds right, other tricks were either throw a green/purple smoke first then a CS, or some enterprising 2AD guys in 1982 would pry up the tape and crumble Heat tabs into the canister for a similar effect.

the heat tab's made for cooking C rations ground up and stuffed in the bottom is just like CS

• 4 years later...

The red M18 that I just acquired is labeled PB-E-40 . I don't think it's painted the way they were during WWII, so could someone help me with its date of manufacture?

Thanks!