Mitchell Pattern M65 Jacket

HelmetGuy

Well, then I guess a photo is not necessary.

I think that puting real information or aditional pictorial prouve its the best a collector should do.That is why we collect also?Sharing information is esential for this.Now what goes to the fakers..... pinch.gif the only way to do in some quantity is with big $$$$$

Now repros ....don´t worry me.Where do you get today real CONMAR alu zippers???

I would be very pleased(even PM pictures) to see those tags and other details of this jacket.

Most of us would recognize a fake very quickly.

Are time period pictures of this jacket being used?

This is evolving into something very interesting here.

Thanks

Hi All ,

As we all know this forum is for information sharing purposes .

If a member has an item that is rare it is up to him, if it is shown or not .

Other members who push for an item to be shown especially when they have NOT posted pictures of ,

1 Their collections

2 Any contribution to the subject of note .

3 Understanding of the subject .

Are in-fact getting a free education in the finer points of collecting with out having to leave the comfort of their computer rooms .

No hard earned cash is forked over , no deals done in the rain .

No mistakes made .

Or is just for for the wind up .

Vintage Productions has the BEST camouflage collection of Vietnam Era items I have ever seen , and he frequently posts this to help others .

Finding a gem only comes a few times a year so maybee he wants to keep this one close to his chest .

On the question of zippers , well go to Japan because all the manufactures were cleaned out in the 1980s because they were the only people who cared about them at that time .

I was wondering if OD and coolman have EVER posted anything on this subject of jacket development or for that matter camouflage ?

owen

kammo man .

bravo_2_zero

i've seen fakes of this jacket floating around, i think there is one on ebay right now. The print tends to be off with smaller leafs and the jacket seems to be ripstop. The camo print seems to only be a foot square and repeated left-right up-down far to frequent to pass as authentic even from a distance.

i've seen fakes of this jacket floating around, i think there is one on ebay right now. The print tends to be off with smaller leafs and the jacket seems to be ripstop. The camo print seems to only be a foot square and repeated left-right up-down far to frequent to pass as authentic even from a distance.

Hi

Could you post the link? This would be very good to analize those diferences.At least with the pictures of the jacket posted by Helmet guy.

I understand Vintage production choice perfectly.He was mentioned here as owing one.This didn´t come from him. thumbsup.gif

Thanks

Corpsmancollector

Wow guys, very interesting stuff! I had no idea these were made.

Vintageproductions, I think that's certainly a fair stance to take!

There's an awful lot to learn from here guys and I just want to take a minute to say thanks for knowing so dam much! thumbsup.gif

Will

vintageproductions

I just deleted a rersponse here from COOLMAN, using slang against a handicapped person.

vintage reproduction pls keep your jacket for your self-i honestly dont wanna see that jacket nor to make copies of it...keep it for your self & sleep with it

we have more important things in owr life to do than to copy your experimental...never mass produced never used in the field jacket...even if we do it we cannot fool anyone!!!

by the way have you any idea how difficult is to put in reproduction a M65 jacket? any M65 jacket....you need some thousands of $$$$ we can better invest on more important things

thanx

CNY Militaria

Coolman, you need to calm down and post in a civil manner or not at all. This is your first and only warning. Thanks for your cooperation.

bravo_2_zero
Hi

Could you post the link? This would be very good to analyze those differences.At least with the pictures of the jacket posted by Helmet guy.

I understand Vintage production choice perfectly.He was mentioned here as owing one.This didn´t come from him. thumbsup.gif

Thanks

Hi, looked for it again and it must have been sold. It was listed as vine leaf M65 and i think from a far east seller. It was no masterpiece if you know what i mean, looked more of a wanna be US army style.

• 2 years later...

I have to admit, that's a pretty cool looking field jacket. Here's the US ebay link: www.ebay.com/itm/VIETNAM-WAR-US-MITCHELL-CAMO-M65-FIELD-JACKET-L-31724-/320817364073?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab2347c69

I am sure it will have its detractors but as original test samples exist in numbers it has more credibility as a repro than say tiger stripe and trebark. I think the colours look good if a little stark in the images in a new state but then new mitchell pattern covers can come up a bit garish.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it arrived and my fears that the camo had been printed too garishly based on the ebay images were ill founded. the cloth used is as good as identical in weave, weight, colours and other properties to helmet covers and shelter halves I have encountered and owned. now it arrived stinky and stiff as all new fabric does but one 40 degree C wash took that away and muted the colours slightly. an interesting aspect of the process is that the flecked highlights that original fabric takes on with laundering is also evident. Its drying as I speak. Now the construction is not mil spec but is solid and faithful to the original. If I were being picky I would have preferred to see a closer weave, more poplin like lining but the lining is there or there-abouts compared to a woodland M65 I have.

As such real examples that exist seem to have white metal zip, the brass one on this one is not true to spec but it is a zip and it is of the type you might expect. I will not be replacing the front or hood zips I don't think.

I recall standing in the tiled hallway of General apathy's home in lightwoods about 15 years ago and trying on a field made example that he had acquired from the states . It was too small for me and as I recall had been made unlined. I loved it but was glad that the size of it prohibited any desire to make him an offer for it.

This ebay example fits the bill just fine as it indulges my liking for the M65 design and the mitchell pattern. It has zero value obviously as a military collectible but I bought it to wear around and about as a cool jacket..as an aside type in a search on ebay for bathing ape camo m65 and see what prices they fetch,...