Outstanding WWI USMC Officer Group Photo

cthomas

This one appears to have been taken shortly after the battle....

Courtesy of the US Army Heritage Education Center (via Photos of the Great War.com)

Check out those EGAs on their helmets. Proof that it was done wartime???

post-518-1237758088.jpg

• 3 months later...

The man 7th from the left is 2nd Lt. E.J. Stockwell a U.S. Reserve (Army) officer from Vermont assigned to the 79th Co. He was later killed at St. Mihiel. I have the final letter written to him from home that is enclosed in the envelope that has the "verified recipient deceased" stamp on it. A poignant reminder of the human story of this war.

-Semper Fi, Kevin

This one appears to have been taken shortly after the battle....

Courtesy of the US Army Heritage Education Center (via Photos of the Great War.com)

Thank you for posting this great photo. It also appears in the fine book, "To The Limit of Endurance - A Battalion of Marines in the Great War" by LtCol Peter F. Owen USMC Retired - Texas A&M University Press, 2007. This is the story of 2nd Bn, 6th Marines, from start to finish. A great read!

He identifies these officers of 2/6 as: L-R - Lts. Gordan Grimland and George White, U.S. Navy; Lt. Graves B. Erskine; Capt. Egbert T. Lloyd; Capt. Randolph T. Zane; *unknown (possibly Maj. Franklin B. Garrett); Lt. E.J. Stockwell, U.S. Army; Maj. Thomas Holcomb; Lt. Clifton Cates; Lt. Amos R. Shinkle; Lt. John C. Overton; Lt. John G. Schneider. Likely taken late in June 1918, it certainly puts USMC emblems on the helmets of some of these earlier than is thought. Capt Zane was KIA on June 25th.

* I believe this 'unidentified' officer to be Capt. Bailey M. Coffenberg, who commanded the 80th Company during the Belleau Wood campaign until wounded. He later became the Bn Quartermaster before resuming his command for the St. Mihiel offensive, during which he was again wounded. I base my belief on comparing facial features on this officer and pictures of Coffenberg which I have in my collection.

Semper Fi - Bobgee

Here's a headshot of Coffenberg taken in France in Dec 1918. Looks like the 'unidentifed' officer to me. Semper Fi.....Bobgee

Coffenberg_2A.JPG

teufelhunde.ret
Here's a headshot of Coffenberg taken in France in Dec 1918. Looks like the 'unidentifed' officer to me. Semper Fi.....Bobgee

I agree - the nose has it... s/f Darrell

cthomas_collection.jpg post_503_1247239738.jpg

You're welcome bobGee.

Kevin, Darrell & Bob-

Thank you guys for the background on this image & for the effort in IDing Coffenberg. That was a great bit of detective work.

I was beginning to think no one had an interest in this outstanding image....

-Chuck

You're welcome bobGee.

Kevin, Darrell & Bob-

Thank you guys for the background on this image & for the effort in IDing Coffenberg. That was a great bit of detective work.

I was beginning to think no one had an interest in this outstanding image....

-Chuck

Ohoto taken on June 18th 1918, Belleau Wood Sector

Officers of 2nd Battalion , 6th Marine

Left to Right

Lt G.A GRUNLAND

Cap G. L WHITE ( Surgeon)

Ltc tGB ERSKINE

Capt E.V LLOYD

Capt R.T ZANE

Maj T HOLCOMB

Lt CATES

LT EJ STOCKWELL

LT J.B SCHNEIDER

LT H.K SHIRKEL

US OFFICIAL PICTURES OF THE WW

Russel MOORE

Pictorial Bureau

Washington DC

VOLUME IIII

Teufelhund

Thank you for setting the record straight! It appears though, Coffenberg was not in this image after all.

-Chuck

Ohoto taken on June 18th 1918, Belleau Wood Sector

Officers of 2nd Battalion , 6th Marine

Left to Right

Lt G.A GRUNLAND

Ltc tGB ERSKINE

Capt E.V LLOYD

Capt R.T ZANE

Maj T HOLCOMB

Lt CATES

LT EJ STOCKWELL

LT J.B SCHNEIDER

LT H.K SHIRKEL

US OFFICIAL PICTURES OF THE WW

Russel MOORE

Pictorial Bureau

Washington DC

VOLUME IIII

Teufelhund

Chuck - Note that there are 12 officers in the photograph. LtCol Owen i.d.s 11 with one unidentified. Teufelhund i.d.s only 10. Here's another headshot of Capt. Coffenberg taken at Marbache wearing his tin hat and bears what I believe is a close resemblance to the 'unidentified' officer in the photo. This pic was taken in May 1918, just before the Belleau Wood battle. He was wounded by shrapnel 5 times on June 5th while commanding 80th Company; refusing to be evacuated. He received a Silver Star for Gallantry during that action.

LtCol Owen writes: "The strain took its toll on all ranks. On June 16th an artillery shell detonated over the 80th Company command post, slightly wounding Captain Coffenburg (sic) in his arm. Fragments from the same shell eviscerated a lieutenant named James S. Timothy. A sharp Regular Army officer who had led his platoon throughout the June fighting, Timothy died in Coffenburg's (sic) arms. Shaken, his face, hands, and torso covered in Timothy's blood, Coffenburg (sic) left Lt. John Schneider in charge of the company and headed to the battalion command post to report to Holcomb. The major determined that the captain was in no shape to continue the fight and assigned him as the battalion quartermaster effective June 18th."

As Teufelhund dates the photo to June 18th, it is likely that he would have been at Bn C.P. on that date. Semper Fi......Bobgee

coffenberg__vandoren__ullmer__camp_marqenterre__france_April_1918_CROPPED.jpg

Lt G.A GRUNLAND

Ltc tGB ERSKINE

Capt E.V LLOYD

Capt R.T ZANE

Maj T HOLCOMB

Lt CATES

LT EJ STOCKWELL

LT J.B SCHNEIDER

Lt J.A. West (missing from teufelhunde's)

LT H.K SHIRKEL

As listed in the United States Navy in the Great War........still that only lists 11 Marines. If there are that many officers with the EGA.....how many enlisted would have had them. Leadership by example. Sure gives this helmet a lot of creditibility.

post-2633-1247270778.jpg

Bobgee-

You are correct. He was unaccounted for in the list submitted by 'Teufelhund'. I have no doubt, looking at the photos photos posted, that this previously unidentified soldier is Coffenberg. That close-up of him in the Belleau Wood Sector image, is just spooky (thanks Darrell!). Coffenberg's face says it all.

Popo367-

Great point. If a handful of these Officers were wearing EGAs on their helmets at this early date, it makes one wonder how many of the enlisted did it.

A shout goes out to Kevin (devildog34) for salvaging this thread from relative obscurity. Thank you for your part in generating a discussion on this fascinating image.

Curiosity led me to do some futher research on the men in this photograph. This is brief overview of what I found. All-in-all, a remarkable group of men

As they appear, from left to right:

Lt(jg) Gordon GRIMLAND, Medical Corps, USN - awarded Navy Cross at Thiacourt Sept 15, 1918 while serving with the 6th Marines. Also received a Silver Star.

Lt George WHITE, Medical Corps, USN - awarded Navy Cross at Vierzy on July 19, 1918. Also received a Silver Star and was wounded.

1/Lt Graves B. ERSKINE USMC -awarded 2 Silver Stars. Later in his career commanded the 3rd Marine Division at Iwo Jima. Retired with 4-Star rank in 1953.

Captain Egbert V. LLOYD USMC - commanded 80th Company at Soissons.

Capt. Randolph T. ZANE USMC - 79th Company - awarded Navy Cross, Distinguished Service Cross and Silver Star- Died of his wounds October 24, 1918.

Major Thomas HOLCOMB USMC - Bn Commander, 2/6 - awarded Navy Cross, Distinguished Service Cross and 4 Silver Stars. Later, 17th Commandant, USMC, 1936 to 1943.

1/Lt Clifton B. CATES USMC - awarded Navy Cross ,2 Distinguished Service Crosses and 3 Silver Stars. Later commandeed 4th Marine Division at Iwo Jima; 19th Commandant USMC 1948 to 1952.

Unidentified - See Below*

1/Lt Emmons J. STOCKWELL, U.S. Army - 79th Company - awarded 2 Silver Stars - KIA St. Mihiel

1/Lt Amos SHINKLE USMC - a former enlisted man, went on to command 79th Company. Wounded and evacuated at Blanc Mont.

1/Lt John W. OVERTON USMC - 80th Company - awarded Navy Cross and Distinguished Service Cross - killed in action at Soissons 19 July 1918.

1/Lt John G. SCHNEIDER USMC - 80th Company - awarded Navy Cross, Distinguished Service Cross and 2 Silver Stars. Died of wounds 3 November 1918

* Unidentified - LtCol Owen states "possibly Major Franklin B. GARRETT USMC." Garrett initially commanded 80th Company. He later became XO of 2/6 and later 2nd Division Provost Marshall and earned a Silver Star. Captain Bailey M. COFFENBERG USMC joined 80th Company, 6th Marines from 17th Company, 5th Marines in March 1918. In November, after the Armistice, the then 2/6 BnCdr Major Ernest "Bull" WILLIAMS USMC a Medal of Honor recipient from Santo Domingo in 1916 and a very controversial officer was relieved of command by the Corps Commander and suceeded bt Major GARRETT. Williams earned a Navy Cross and a Silver Star to his Silver Stars from St.Mihiel and the Meuse-Argonne.

My contender for this "unidentifed" slot, Capt COFFENBERG commanded 80th Company from March 12th to June 16th and again from September 12th to the 15th during the St.Mihiel offensive when he was again WIA and evaucuated. He remained in hospital until December 1918 and did not rejoin the Battalion. He received a Silver Star and a Croix de Guerre for his actions on June 8th at Belleau Wood,as well as 2 Purple Hearts.

Semper Fi......Bobgee

Bobgee-

Has anyone given this great image the same treatment? Has someone been able to add brief bios to each individual like you have done here? Maybe I've misunderstood what's been posted so far but it seems to me that's not the case. And if it isn't so, then I think it's fair to say it's worthy of an article.

Thank you for taking the time to do the research. You've given me a whole new appreciation for this image.

-Chuck

Bobgee-

Has anyone given this great image the same treatment? Has someone been able to add brief bios to each individual like you have done here? Maybe I've misunderstood what's been posted so far but it seems to me that's not the case. And if it isn't so, then I think it's fair to say it's worthy of an article.

Thank you for taking the time to do the research. You've given me a whole new appreciation for this image.

-Chuck

Thanks, Chuck. But it was you that posted the photograph. I missed it first time around. I'm fortunate to have references that allowed me to look up these men. As I said previously, the book "To The Limit of Endurance - A Battalion of Marines in the Great War" by LtCol Peter F. Owen USMC Retired - Texas A&M University Press, 2007. tells the story of these men and all of the 2nd Bn, 6th Marines, from their arrival overseas to the end of the war. A great read that I'm proud to recommend to anyone interested in WWI Marines!

Semper Fi.......Bob

Excellent, Bob. I'll have to pick that one up or at least attempt to find it at the Library.

Damn. Every time I look at that photo now, I just shake my head & mutter "The sacrifice...."

You & others who've posted here, have given me a vivid glimpse into each of their lives.

Thank you.

-Chuck

Chuck - Note that there are 12 officers in the photograph. LtCol Owens i.d.s 11 with one unidentified. Teufelhund i.d.s only 10. Here's another headshot of Capt. Coffenberg taken at Marbache wearing his tin hat and bears what I believe is a close resemblance to the 'unidentified' officer in the photo. This pic was taken in May 1918, just before the Belleau Wood battle. He was wounded by shrapnel 5 times on June 5th while commanding 80th Company; refusing to be evacuated. He received a Silver Star for Gallantry during that action.

LtCol Owens writes: "The strain took its toll on all ranks. On June 16th an artillery shell detonated over the 80th Company command post, slightly wounding Captain Coffenburg (sic) in his arm. Fragments from the same shell eviscerated a lieutenant named James S. Timothy. A sharp Regular Army officer who had led his platoon throughout the June fighting, Timothy died in Coffenburg's (sic) arms. Shaken, his face, hands, and torso covered in Timothy's blood, Coffenburg (sic) left Lt. John Schneider in charge of the company and headed to the battalion command post to report to Holcomb. The major determined that the captain was in no shape to continue the fight and assigned him as the battalion quartermaster effective June 18th."

As Teufelhund dates the photo to June 18th, it is likely that he would have been at Bn C.P. on that date. Semper Fi......Bobgee

post-503-1247258692.jpg

Precisely..Bogbee is right

The picture shows 12 men while the legend identifies only 10 men

Coffenberg is likely one of the two unidentified officers.

He commanded the 80th Co from the 1st june from the 17th June ( which gave sense to the picture's date of June18)

He was then transferred to the Bn Heaquarters

On the 17Th of June... attached for Duty from 3rd Rep BN

18 to 30 ( June) Commanding Company

Source;Muster Roll of Officers & EMs of the US Marines

Supplemental roster 80th Co(G)2nd Bn, 6th Regt Marines AEF

Teufelhund

usmcaviator

This is not the only photo that shows Marines, in particular officers, wearing EGAs on their helmets during and after Belleau Wood. It does not appear to be common practice from Jun-Nov 1918, but was without a doubt done by some.

Mike

This is not the only photo that shows Marines, in particular officers, wearing EGAs on their helmets during and after Belleau Wood. It does not appear to be common practice from Jun-Nov 1918, but was without a doubt done by some.

Mike

OK Mike.... show me another one

One of my best friend, is living only at 3 Km From BW, Marigny en Orxois, la Voie du Chatel, Ecoute s'il pleut ( Chek your diaries)

He digged up at least 100,mod 1914 EG&A in BW and in the near vicinity, also in the Argonne and in the Saint Mihiel area over the last 30 years.( He is a member here)

No one was ever affixed to an helmet, and I would like to find one, only one.

Teufelhund.

Teufelhund - Thanks for posting that video link. Having walked the fields, woods and cemetery at Bois de Belleau I can say that it is a very Reverent Place!

Semper Fi.......Bobgee

Teufelhund - Thanks for posting that video link. Having walked the fields, woods and cemetery at Bois de Belleau I can say that it is a very Reverent Place!

Semper Fi.......Bobgee

My pleasure is shared Bobgee

Hope u enjoy the frog site relati.ng to the AEF 1917-1919

http://aefcollections.forumactif.net/

Not a lot of people here... but the cream of the cream ( litteral translation of a french expression)

Regards

T

That is a very interesting video. Thank you for posting it here. I found it equally fascinating that they included a segment with the FLIR enhancement ('night' vision).

I will check out the website later tonight.

-Chuck