USMC Marksmanship Badges

Brig

I was watching it as well, but it went over what I wanted to pay. I have a partial (bottom half) and some day..... any way here ar the pics of the one I have.

didn't know it was BB&B

post-5056-1238281285.jpg

post-5056-1238281292.jpg

post-5056-1238281298.jpg

I was watching it as well, but it went over what I wanted to pay.

I was also watching it. I put in an early place-holder bid and also loaded a bid on one of the snip servers that I use. It topped my max snipe bid before the server tried to place my bid.

I don't haver any BB&B marksmanship badges and knew they went at a premium but I underestimated just how high it would go. In the end it was considerable more than I could afford to pay, particularly after a couple large $$$ buys from forum members recently.

Army style badges don't bring what Marine badges do. Even a hard to find variation / makers mark?? This will probably change and this would have been a good investment piece. The pin looks like an early one most likely from the 1920 when the Marine Corps would have been using this style of badge???

normally that type of clasp is associated with WWII and later, but I don't think BB&B was producing much that late??

• 2 weeks later...
normally that type of clasp is associated with WWII and later, but I don't think BB&B was producing much that late??

Tim - Marines were awarded the Army type marksman badges in the 20's and into the early 30's. I have several groups and photos which confirm that. BB&B marked items of any kind tend to be much scarcer - perhaps because they mainly seemed to supply Officers, were more expensive and therefore their production was lower. My 2-cents.

Semper Fi----Bob

I just got a small grouping of USMC insignia, and there was a Pistol Expert badge with what I thought was a similar marking. I was thinking "Cool! I got a dated one!" So I dug up this thread, because I wanted to compare it with yours, and I was suprised by what I found. My badge has the same OEC2-81 marking on it. Since I think the odds of that are slim, I now believe this is a makers mark, and not engraved by the Marine.
"OEC" stands for Officers Equipment Company. I had been wondering what these letters stood for until I bought a "lot" of various insignias on ebay. There were a couple of pairs of First Lieutenant's collar-size bars in this batch. I also acquired one of the Expert Rifleman badges with the applied EGA way back in September of 1978. I paid $1.50 for it back then.

any help on pinpointing an era on this one? I know WWII or Korea, would just like to narrow it down more
According to "U. S. Marine Corps Marksmanship Badges from 1912 to the Present" (1982) Marine Corps Sharpshooter badges can be dated (roughly) by the number of rings on the round target. The M1912 has three rings, the M1922 has two broad rings while the M1937 has four rings. Similar design changes were made to the Marksman badge. The M1912 had three raised rings, while the M1922 had 2 raised rings. The author states that the 1949 Uniform Regulations specifies a three ring target. The 1949 UR's also continue the four ring Sharpshooter badge. These lasted until the M1958 versions were introduced.

According to "U. S. Marine Corps Marksmanship Badges from 1912 to the Present" (1982) Marine Corps Sharpshooter badges can be dated (roughly) by the number of rings on the round target. The M1912 has three rings, the M1922 has two broad rings while the M1937 has four rings. Similar design changes were made to the Marksman badge. The M1912 had three raised rings, while the M1922 had 2 raised rings. The author states that the 1949 Uniform Regulations specifies a three ring target. The 1949 UR's also continue the four ring Sharpshooter badge. These lasted until the M1958 versions were introduced.

none of the other versions were phased out with the updates, though. makers continued to produce them

here's an interesting piece off eBay. I didn't win it, but it's interesting none-the-less. Someone combined an early WWI era Marksman and Sharpshooter badge. Interesting piece

_BQW1q5__Wk___KGrHgoH_D0EjlLlyn79BJ4hTnwqY____1.jpg

_BQW1tSQBGk___KGrHgoH_C0EjlLlu15ZBJ4hTwUTWQ___1.jpg

here's an interesting piece off eBay. I didn't win it, but it's interesting none-the-less. Someone combined an early WWI era Marksman and Sharpshooter badge. Interesting piece

someone sure did a lot of work making the sharpshooter badge look like it never had a fastener before they combined them hmmm.

here's one I just got in. Multi-construction, soldered not riveted, Blackinton marked badge . Very nice. any idea as to timeframe?

Blackinton_Expert_Front.JPG

Blackinton_Expert_Rear.JPG

maker mark

Blackinton_Expert_MM.JPG

heres another one that just got here totaly unmarked and some of the silver has flaked off still a nice badge so its a keeper also

brian

post-2718-1240463788.jpg

post-2718-1240463905.jpg

I was going to bid on that one but forgot about it until it was too late

you forgot about Gemsco and OEC marked badges

any other opinions of the Blackinton badge? I want to say WWII because the rifles are soldered on, not riveted, like the above displayed pistol badge. However, Blackinton USMC insignia seems to be more post war, so I'm not sure. Comparing it side by side with other expert badges, it's a bit smaller, quite noticably

any other opinions of the Blackinton badge? I want to say WWII because the rifles are soldered on, not riveted, like the above displayed pistol badge. However, Blackinton USMC insignia seems to be more post war, so I'm not sure. Comparing it side by side with other expert badges, it's a bit smaller, quite noticably

the only expert rifleman badge i have that is multi piece construction and soldered has crossed kraigs my AE Co, H&H, and H&H with ega and two national guard are all one piece im thinking possibly pre war? maybe

multi-piece construction was a common process in WWI, but they used rivets to attach them. these last two pieces I posted lack that, and are soldered, something I'd associate more around the 40s. I'm just trying to narrow down the timeframe a bit more

• 2 weeks later...

here's a new expert badge in. Multi-construction, soldered, with a swivel catch and silver wash, it seems. unmarked. I'm thinking 1930s, during the depression, which would explain the was and solder and catch, because I'm pretty sure by the quality that it predates WWII. any other opinions on this one?

30s_Expert_Front.JPG

rear

30s_Expert_Rear.JPG

here's a new expert badge in. Multi-construction, soldered, with a swivel catch and silver wash, it seems. unmarked. I'm thinking 1930s, during the depression, which would explain the was and solder and catch, because I'm pretty sure by the quality that it predates WWII. any other opinions on this one?

im thinking alot earlier since those crossed rifles look like kraig's and not 1903's

ok, I'm a bit confused when I do a side-by-side. what's the major differences in the Kraigs and 1903s? look similar to me, and the Blackinton badge looks like a hybrid.

here are an assortment of pistol badges I've picked up. Top left, a WWI-WWII timeframe pistol sharpshooter badge with the early style c-clasp. second, an interesting late WWII potmetal pistol sharpshooter badge with the clasp and pin on reverse sides and upside down of what they'd normally be. Third, an SER marked sharpshooter badge, I suspect shortly after the 1956 transition, and lastly a potmetal late-war pistol expert badge

Pistol_SS_Fronts.JPG

Pistol_SS_Clasp.JPG

rears

Pistol_SS_Rears.JPG

normaninvasion
ok, I'm a bit confused when I do a side-by-side. what's the major differences in the Kraigs and 1903s? look similar to me, and the Blackinton badge looks like a hybrid.

The diffrence I notice is that the Kraigs are alot longer....Jeff

The Krags have the tell tale magazine box on the side of the reciever noticable on the rifle left side of badge and the outline of the metal cover on the opposite rifle,right side of badge