USMC Marksmanship Badges

Brig

Yes that is the correct one. There are quite a number of variation on the basic theme - design, all of which are appropriate. s.f Darrell

Thank you for the information.

What sort of pin back would a WWII badge have? Would it be sterling? If this badge was used post WWII, I would like to be sure to get a WWII one.

There is a sterling badge on ebay with post fasteners. It is marked 12C which may be a post war hallmark?

bulldog06

Have to disagree here, Darrell. The USMC Marksman Bar WITHOUT the square target pendant is the correct version. The present style MM medal did not come into existance until sometime in the 1960's. Having missed Sharpshooter by 1 lousy point in 1956, :( I qualified as a Marksman and wore the single bar.

Semper Fi.....Bobgee

teufelhunde.ret
Have to disagree here, Darrell. The USMC Marksman Bar WITHOUT the square target pendant is the correct version. The present style MM medal did not come into existance until sometime in the 1960's. Having missed Sharpshooter by 1 lousy point in 1956, :( I qualified as a Marksman and wore the single bar.

Semper Fi.....Bobgee

Geeez, I should of read that post closer, that he may have been referring to current issue, Bob is right. The attached with the "square target" surrounded by the wreath is the correct basic badge from which qualification bars would be hung. Thx, Bob! s/f Darrell

post_828_1180754326.jpg

Geeez, I should of read that post closer, that he may have been referring to current issue, Bob is right. The attached with the "square target" surrounded by the wreath is the correct basic badge from which qualification bars would be hung. Thx, Bob! s/f Darrell

Thank you all for helping to sort that out. Judging by ebay, the badge with the square target I mentioned is probably current issue.

Previously, I bought a pair of EGA's listed as WWII. Looking at the reference, they are probably post war as they are metal with clutch backs not a screw post.

Thanks for helping me get this correct. I will look for the Marksman bar.

teufelhunde.ret
Previously, I bought a pair of EGA's listed as WWII. Looking at the reference, they are probably post war as they are metal with clutch backs not a screw post.

Yes, the clutchback were of korean era vintage - the badge pictured above is WW2 era. s/f Darrell

• 1 month later...

Gentlemen,

I would like to purchase an original vintage USMC WWII Sharpshooter Badge to place in my father's shadow box. The National Personnel Records division sent me a modern issue when I requested my father's awards after he passed away. I would like to restore the shadow box to as near vintage to pass on to my children. I will post a picture as soon as I receive the vintage items in my search and confirm his Raider participation. Please advise.

Stinger Gunner USMC

I see that you are a new member. The forum has a for sale, trade, and wanted sections that are near the bottom of the forums page. Your request would be better suited for the wanted section of the forum.

Welcome to the Forum, and I hope your experiences are enjoyable and educational.

Semper Fi!

I see that you are a new member. The forum has a for sale, trade, and wanted sections that are near the bottom of the forums page. Your request would be better suited for the wanted section of the forum.

Welcome to the Forum, and I hope your experiences are enjoyable and educational.

Semper Fi!

Thanks for the direction, but a message tells me I don't have permission to post in the section you reference. Frustrating!

I think you need at LEAST 10 posts... or more to be able to use this section?.. its somewhere in the forum rules.

Good Luck. !!

• 1 month later...

Can anyone recommend a dealer in Dallas and how to validate the authenticity of a USMC WWII Sharpshooter badge. I am looking for a vintage badge to replace the modern issue in my father's shadow box. I have some questions:

Does either a mark sterling or hallmark prove authenticity? I've seen pictures of hallmarks from earlier posts.

Were there approved issue badges that were not silver during WWII? In other words, could an authentic badge be made out of another metal besides silver?

think.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I recently picked up this Marine Corps pistol expert qualification badge, but I'm not familiar with the hallmark on the back. It's just an "S" in a shield. Does anyone know which manufacturer it represents? Thanks in advance!

post-50776-0-31264300-1399942452.png

post-50776-0-05064800-1399942463.png

I recently picked up this Marine Corps pistol expert qualification badge, but I'm not familiar with the hallmark on the back. It's just an "S" in a shield. Does anyone know which manufacturer it represents? Thanks in advance!

2f75ed98.jpg

649f1328.jpg

Hi-

I believe this is the Sugarman logo. Unfortunately, I"m not sure when this particular hallmark was used.

-Frank

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the information! I really appreciate it. After digging around a little more on the internet, it appears the Institute of Heraldry assigned Sugarman the manufacturer's code S-1 and S-12. Since this badge isn't stamped with one of those hallmarks, I would estimate it most likely dates from the mid - late 1950's.

• 4 weeks later...
normaninvasion

post-4253-1231614627.jpg

Bought this on Ebay as a replacement for a missing family badge. Looked better on Ebay. Can you guys tell me if this is original WW1. Thanks

hard to tell if it's exactly WWI, but with the open clasp and 4 rings, it is consistent with the WWI issue pieces

That's a match to one I have in a WWII Marine's group.

Bill

it was used consistently pre-WWI through Korea

I just purchased the badge from an eBay vendor because I noticed the hallmark and what appeared to be some patina, but upon closer inspection, the hallmark seams odd to me. I'm also not familiar with the marking Ser 135. Any ideas? The so called "silver" appears to be flaking off too. Weird.

post-3588-1232153523.jpg

post-3588-1232153537.jpg